Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    You do NOT have to do sidequests at all, if you just want to finish as fast as possible just stick to your main quest/missions.
    I was doing a bit of GW work today, and this little bit of advice is seriously important.
    In your quest log (press L), only do the stuff under "primary quests". If you only want to do HoM, everything else is a huge waste of time.
    Looking back, I wasted an eternity in Nightfall by playing in the typical Wow style of grab all the quests in the area, do them and come back.

You can also use the wiki from the start to tell you exactly what to do. Nightfall starts here.
    Just go through it with the "Preceded by" and "Followed by" on the top right.

Can you make a quick summary of the story that happens in GW1 so I am somewhat prepared with GW2? Please and thank you!
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

What sort of build should i use for the Spirit Spammer? Would This work well?

Also how much of this is made easier without gold and how much of it would i need?
    Last edited by Bizong; 2011-10-03 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Can you make a quick summary of the story that happens in GW1 so I am somewhat prepared with GW2? Please and thank you!
    Before the story: A crazy dude named Vizier Khilbron of the City of Arah recites a magic spell that destroys the entire kingdom of Orr.

Events of Guild Wars: Your character adventures in Tyria, you stop the titans! Onward to Cantha, your hero stops Shiro Tagachi and the afflicted. Onward to Elona! Your hero stops abaddon from taking over the world and in the process spear marshal Kormir becomes the goddess of truth. You also temporarily stop Palawa Joko, some undead dude that has an attitude problem. Onward to the far shiverpeaks, you stop the great destroyer from destroying and the world is saved, and a magic statue has glowy eyes!

250 years later:

Magic statue was actually Primordus, an evil dragon thingy that controls the destroyers, he wakes up and kills things.

That strange mountain ridge in the charr homelands was actually Kralkatorrik, the crystal dragon of DOOM. He flys south breathing crystal all over the place (Dragonbrand)

Somewhere near Norn lands, the frosty dragon Jormag wakes up and loses a tooth, many norn try to break it.

Under the destroyed kingdom of Orr, Zhaitan wakes up and brings a ton of dead things from the ocean's depths.

Meanwhile in Cantha: The Luxons and Kurzicks have been re-annexed to the empire.
    Meanwhile in Elona: Palawa Joko escapes and takes over.
    Last edited by Arkenaw; 2011-10-03 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Before the story: A crazy dude named Vizier Khilbron of the City of Arah recites a magic spell that destroys the entire kingdom of Orr.

Events of Guild Wars: Your character adventures in Tyria, you stop the titans! Onward to Cantha, your hero stops Shiro Tagachi and the afflicted. Onward to Elona! Your hero stops abaddon from taking over the world and in the process spear marshal Kormir becomes the goddess of truth. You also temporarily stop Palawa Joko, some undead dude that has an attitude problem. Onward to the far shiverpeaks, you stop the great destroyer from destroying and the world is saved, and a magic statue has glowy eyes!

250 years later:

Magic statue was actually Primordus, an evil dragon thingy that controls the destroyers, he wakes up and kills things.

That strange mountain ridge in the charr homelands was actually Kralkatorrik, the crystal dragon of DOOM. He flys south breathing crystal all over the place (Dragonbrand)

Somewhere near Norn lands, the frosty dragon Jormag wakes up and loses a tooth, many norn try to break it.

Under the destroyed kingdom of Orr, Zhaitan wakes up and brings a ton of dead things from the ocean's depths.

Meanwhile in Cantha: The Luxons and Kurzicks have been re-annexed to the empire.
    Meanwhile in Elona: Palawa Joko escapes and takes over.
    so after the 250 years is gw2's storyline?
    I am KickButtMario. I kick butt because I am Mario. The coolest, longest, living, protagonist out there in the video game industry.

Currently playing WoW: BigFattMario TallKidLuigi PeachIsCute

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    so after the 250 years is gw2's storyline?
    Yup, so pretty much everything that happened in guild wars 1 is irrelevant

The question is, is it a baby tooth or an adult tooth? It is of great importance for in first case he has a long way to live, but in second we can just let him fly around for he'll die of old age *nod*

Really though, thanks for that summary, how you wrote some events made me laugh a lot too

Yup, so pretty much everything that happened in guild wars 1 is irrelevant
    Depends on how you see it, it would be the same as saying everything in WoW before Deathwings Return is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizong View Post
    What sort of build should i use for the Spirit Spammer? Would This work well?

Also how much of this is made easier without gold and how much of it would i need?
    Well first of all that is the wrong pvx (outdated) you should use the real one -> http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki

And it depends on what you want to use it for and how many of the skills you have access to.

Btw, The one on the real PvX looks a bit different http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Rt/any_Spirit_Spammer

Basically if you are just starting out, just use whatever offensive spirits you have because for some of the skills you will need to go about halfway into the Factions storyline to get.

Don't think about the cost you should be able yo buy the skills as you play.
    Last edited by Maklor; 2011-10-03 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Depends on how you see it, it would be the same as saying everything in WoW before Deathwings Return is irrelevant.
    I wouldn't say that really. 250 years is enough to kill off almost every character you know from the original (except of course Mr. Ghost), while Deathwing is the same characters.

Nevermind that, people in another thread said it was deadly boring to play GW, is it really that boring to play GW?
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I wouldn't say that really. 250 years is enough to kill off almost every character you know from the original (except of course Mr. Ghost), while Deathwing is the same characters.

Nevermind that, people in another thread said it was deadly boring to play GW, is it really that boring to play GW?
    Play it as an RPG, not an MMO.

It depends. if you're interested in seeing the story of GW1, then I don't think it will be. But if you're more into the social aspects, it might feel boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Play it as an RPG, not an MMO.
    I may sound weird, but I don't believe I have ever truly played a RPG.

---------- Post added 2011-10-03 at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    It depends. if you're interested in seeing the story of GW1, then I don't think it will be. But if you're more into the social aspects, it might feel boring.
    I'm mostly in for the HoM rewards, but I probably can't bother if the game is going to be dead boring, and I don't talk JUST about lore, but also combat, and gameplay overall.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

I'm mostly in for the HoM rewards, but I probably can't bother if the game is going to be dead boring, and I don't talk JUST about lore, but also combat, and gameplay overall.
    Personally i find it some what boring, but it's good if your boring and wanna learn some stuff about guildwars.

It depends on what you're looking for. Loads of people play WoW just to make alts and do nothing but quest. I think that's boring as hell.
    Others prefer to do raids and do nothing but dodge the same mechanic over and over all be it in different forms. This bores me aswell.
    And then we have PvP, rated battlegrounds don't mean anything since you can stack the most op classes and win. Same goes for arena which makes it more of a fight over who has the best gear/setup and not who has the most skill. Again this is boring to me.
    So if you read that you could say WoW is boring.

Ofcourse I don't mean what I've written but what I mean to say is that people like different things, the best thing you can do is try it out. The best part about GW is it's PvP and skill system (if you understand it) PvE is cool aswell but playing with other people usually is more of a hastle than a help but the storyline is great (especially from Prophecies).

I went with a Spirit Spam Rit and i just beat all the campaigns easily, once you get that elite skill its easy sailing from there.

I saw this thread and decided to try and go through GW1 for the story + HoM.
    So far I think it's a really hard game, keep dying even though I got alot of heros now that are all lvl 20.
    Don't know if it is because I'm a Dervish?
    Died like hell on Consulate docks (but got help from a friendly soul after 4 tries) and keep making the other missions thanks to the fact that I get resurrected like 10 times by my monks.

Thinking of buying a skill pack but which one is the best?
    I still havent used my Signet of Capture as I haven't found any boss to use it on. Does anyone know something good for a Dervish?
    Got some hero points to spend but it's honestly quite hard to just choose something when you have no idea what's the right thing. :s

Even though I get frustrated of dying the whole time, the story in Nightfall is really intresting
    /Himlaklar

I still think it's easier to do EotN as soon as it's available, because you're treated as level 20 while up there.
    Then once you hit 20, come back to your original campaign and faceroll it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I still think it's easier to do EotN as soon as it's available, because you're treated as level 20 while up there.
    Then once you hit 20, come back to your original campaign and faceroll it.
    Oh, I didn't think you could level while in EotN *facepalm* since you got treated like a lvl 20. Does it mean that the hunter pet I tamed can level to 20 as well in EotN?
    I continued with the Nightfall campain cause they took Koss in Consulate Docks and I though I needed him back :s And I am lvl 20 now but faceroll is the least suited word for it :/

Quote Originally Posted by himlaklar View Post
    Oh, I didn't think you could level while in EotN *facepalm* since you got treated like a lvl 20. Does it mean that the hunter pet I tamed can level to 20 as well in EotN?
    I'd assume so. But if you just want a level 20 pet, there is a better trick:
    Make a PVP ranger, put a pet skill on your bar so your pet will be with you, then travel to the Zaishen Menagerie Grounds and go to the building/stable to the right after you enter, then talk to an NPC there and drop off your pet.
    Then get on your other toon, and go back to the Zaishen Menagerie Grounds and go to the same area but talk to the guy in the middle of the ring, and ask him to let you see a level 20 elder wolf, then tame it.

I have better advice.. don't play it.. ever :P.

On serious note, I've started GW1 just for fun (less than a week ago) and for possible HoM rewards. I must say I've NEVER felt so.. "undecided" about a game. I like the engine, characters and textures are way more "sharp" than in WoW (and many other mmos) while it requires less hardware. Then again I HATE the graphics, the world is empty, boring and very closed. You can't jump which drives me crazy cause I have to walk around every small obstacle, it gets worse in the city where you have to run the longest possible path to NPCs - you can't just jump down from even smallest balcony, oh no, you have to go around through hallway->court yard->passage way->stairs.. ... CHRIST. Thank god, GW1 has insta-travel between cities, otherwise it would be down nigh unplayable.

I played trough Nightfall and EoN (will go through Factions and Prophecies soon), story is great actually. Quests are logical, there some fun quests too. But the cut scenes.. they are horribly bugged, most of the time you see a NPC talking while mob is still hitting him which is very distracting and most of the time at the end of a dialogue I forgot what they've said cause Dunkoro sounded like wounded pig while kournan still tried to kill him.

Oh.. and the combat... First, I love the skill setup system. It's really cool you can create so many variations of classes. Unfortunately the combat itself is very clunky, bugged and feels slo-mo . Also targeting system is.. I don't know.. randomized? I swear to god the "target nearest enemy" have NEVER targeted the nearest enemy for me.. EVER. And this.. "you pressed skill so I'm running up to the target by myself" thing is anything but functional usually your char just runs somewhere out in the open in opposite direction. It feels like DOTA game just without the top view ;p.

So yeah, it's all up and down with this game... I'm playing it with my wife, we both want to reach 30 points in HoM which should be very doable cause we are doing quite good in the game, but I don't know if our sanity will remain intact after it cause sometimes after some game related issue I can see my wife chewing on her keyboard :P - I've almost ate my razer naga >_>.