Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I've finished Nightfall and am maybe halfway through Factions (just picked Kurzick/Luxon), definitely plan to keep going.

Confirmed: no jumping in GW1.

Confirmed: cutscenes can be pretty laughable. Even when not dealing with stray mobs still whacking on the conversing NPCs, you'll see some fairly silly things like the keyboard-turn shuffle as one character turns to face another.

Confirmed: combat feels a little stiff compared to WoW (how much might depend on your playstyle).

Also: missions can be frustrating because when you wipe (or lose for some other reason, like the NPC you're supposed to be protecting going all suicidal) you're ported out and have to do the whole thing over; there's no concept of checkpoints or partial clears in missions.

For me the annoyances are easier to ignore because I looooooove the skill system so much. If you're interested in playing a slightly outdated game with some really brilliant design, try it.

The story is also really well-written, and the fact that GW2 happens 250 years in the future doesn't detract from that -- it makes it an origin story. From the events of GW1 I know the history of GW2; I know about the five gods, and have a special connection to the sixth; I've worked with the Order of Whispers; "I was there" when we first met the Asura and the Norn; when I do Propechies I'll have first-hand experience of the Searing and the animosity between Human and Charr, etc. etc. etc. Getting into GW2's background like that is also a good reason to try GW1.

targeting never has bugged for me, nor did the autorun unless there wasn't a path available directly (targeting a mob in a valley and trying to run to it). Also target closest isn't a great way of playing, it's a lot easier to target something hit ctrl+spacebar and kill that (monks, rits, eles and mesmers in particular).

For the combat system I agree in pve it hardly shines since most heroes need atleast a bit of microing + the moment you get decent builds rolling you can pretty much afk clear everything. But take the fighting mechanic to pvp and it's true nature pops up (not counting dervish and eles ofc they're like Ret palas )

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    Confirmed: cutscenes can be pretty laughable. Even when not dealing with stray mobs still whacking on the conversing NPCs, you'll see some fairly silly things like the keyboard-turn shuffle as one character turns to face another.
    This is so true. I also found it every entertaining, before Nightfall was released, that the characters in cutscenes didn't open the mouth to talk.