Thread: Kindle Fire

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Kindle Fire

Anyone else excited about this?
    http://goo.gl/PtBFK

I am not really sure if I am excited about the product itself or the implications it might have on pricing on the tablet market if it's a good device (it's roughly half the price of most touchpads). They might have noticed how feverishly people were going after the HP touchpads when they were marked down and are selling them for a loss to try and gain market share though.

I also find the Kindle free 3g versions interesting, wonder what network they connect through

10+ Year Old Account
    Only available in the US?! What makes you americans so special!?

Very nice though... would make buying a Kindle far more appealing

Right now I can't justify spending £200+ on something and then still having to buy the book... then being limited to only reading the book on that one device.
    Same reason I hate steam.... Unless you have an active steam account connected to the steam server you can't use any of the games etc.. you bought through it.

From my understanding though the Fire is pretty much an Android Touchpad so using it as an e-reader is just one of the uses of the device. Not really sure how it works with the Android market if you can use other e-readers one it

I came expecting a kindle on fire. I am disappoint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Same reason I hate steam.... Unless you have an active steam account connected to the steam server you can't use any of the games etc.. you bought through it.
    Oooooooooor you could download the books and use calibre to convert/upload them to your Kindle for free. If I already own a physical copy I don't feel bad about it.
    Steam isn't a great example because Steam is free. :P

The 3G option is the most exciting, as it is really the best way to handle data like that. I hope something similar comes along for other devices. No one wants to pay monthly to occasionally use the internet on a tablet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Umm yes you can.

Once you've downloaded it and run it once, you can play it in offline mode.

Deleted
    looks nice but it just seems like a useless thing to have, still cheaper to get books from a library

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    The 3G option is the most exciting, as it is really the best way to handle data like that. I hope something similar comes along for other devices. No one wants to pay monthly to occasionally use the internet on a tablet.
    I think the Fire tablet is actually Wi-Fi only. It's still an amazing device for the price point, especially when you count in streaming Prime Account movies and music. Those probably wouldn't function well over 3G anyway, and I'm sure Amazon doesn't want to contend with the massive amounts of data that users would be moving over their free 3G network coverage.
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S. (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)

i have a kindle 3G and a laptop, it's looking like a nice device but I have no need for it for now.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorpvp View Post
    looks nice but it just seems like a useless thing to have, still cheaper to get books from a library
    Actually, the cost will slowly come about even when you factor in that Amazon will allow people to borrow books from the library via electronic copies on their Kindles. No gas for the drive or late fees, plus you get a tablet. But I suspect that people who are cost-conscious enough to not want to spend the money on a tablet might opt for one of the cheaper Kindles anyway.

Another crappy knock off product that will only do half of what people expect, at half the speed.

Just go buy the actual iPad if that's what you want. You know that you can get the Kindle app, the App store, Amazon app, ect all on the iPad. The Kindle has no advantage over the iPad other than price.

Deleted
    I hope they'll reduce the price on the Kindle DX now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Another crappy knock off product that will only do half of what people expect, at half the speed.

Just go buy the actual iPad if that's what you want. You know that you can get the Kindle app, the App store, Amazon app, ect all on the iPad. The Kindle has no advantage over the iPad other than price.
    That's actually a pretty misinformed statement. The Fire will be able to stream all of your Amazon content (music and movies) from the web, and has been universally touted by the press as being lightning fast. So basically it will do most of what people actually use the IPad for (email, surf the web, play games) for less than half the price. That's a pretty good value if you don't need the shiny Apple logo driving up the price on all your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post

may as well stop making anything new, anything that comes out will just be a crappy knock off of something that is already out! apple has released the ultimate product! stop all innovation society should come to a standstill!

forgive my hyperbole, but saying you should just shut up and buy an ipad is silly. I don't want to spend $500+ on something that is more of a novelty product in my eyes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    That's actually a pretty misinformed statement. The Fire will be able to stream all of your Amazon content (music and movies) from the web, and has been universally touted by the press as being lightning fast. So basically it will do most of what people actually use the IPad for (email, surf the web, play games) for less than half the price. That's a pretty good value if you don't need the shiny Apple logo driving up the price on all your gear.
    That and the kindle fire actually has adobe flash unlike certain devices. Not that I would ever waste money on a tablet.

It's only $199, right? That's comparatively cheap enough (for me) that I may just get one and see how I like it. The big concern is the currently lacking Android tablet ecosystem, though; Apple has a much more robust App market.

Gotta be honest, I clicked on this thread hoping to find a video of a kindle spontaneously catching on fire and hilarity ensuing...

I have an iPad2 though, and the kindle app on it is free... so why by the Kindle when the iPad2 (or other tablets that can use a Kindle app) can provide the same service through Kindle plus all their other features?

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Gotta be honest, I clicked on this thread hoping to find a video of a kindle spontaneously catching on fire and hilarity ensuing...

I have an iPad2 though, and the kindle app on it is free... so why by the Kindle when the iPad2 (or other tablets that can use a Kindle app) can provide the same service through Kindle plus all their other features?
    Because I can buy two and a half Kindles for the cost of an iPad.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Anyone else excited about this?
    http://goo.gl/PtBFK

I am not really sure if I am excited about the product itself or the implications it might have on pricing on the tablet market if it's a good device (it's roughly half the price of most touchpads). They might have noticed how feverishly people were going after the HP touchpads when they were marked down and are selling them for a loss to try and gain market share though.

I also find the Kindle free 3g versions interesting, wonder what network they connect through
    I was more excited about the Sony tablet http://discover.store.sony.com/tablet/#intro. This Kindle fire is just a Smartphone without the "phone". For the $199 it isn't really a bad deal but I see nothing innovative about it besides making Asus, Samsung and all the other suppliers drop their price to compete.