How to properly use AE on Molten Elementals (H: Rag)

So I noticed several logs of top Arcane mages on heroic Ragnaros and they all seem to be using Arcane Explosion on the Molten Seed adds. Our guild uses a strat just like the one on LearntoRaid where we group up and start running when the timer ends so they all land together and begin to kite them across to the other side of the platform. I was playing it safe by only using Blizzard on the adds but I think I can do loads more damage with Arcane Explosion but what is the safest way to go about doing this?

Basically you have mage standing out of the grp when seeds spawn which leads to his seed spawning away from the big pile of other seeds. When seeds pop up they fixate on respective people they spawned on. The seed that arcane mage spawned is away from the pile which lets the mage go close to big pile and spam arcane explosion w/o being attacked by any of the seeds in pile (providing none in ur raid dies for whatever reason in period between seeds' spawn and seeds' death). The seed that spawned away from the pile by this mage should be dealt with accordingly (stun preferably) or it reaches the mage and kills him with 200k+ mele hit (because it will gain buff from rest pile if its not dead by this time). Arcane mages are good for this because they can do consistant high bursty dmg with 4-AB-stacked arcane exposion and 4k+ spellpower from incanter absorption if u use ur wards right before the explosion of the seeds to all the seed packs that u gonna face in p2 before u push p3 (3-4 packs iirc)
    Last edited by Makarena; 2011-09-30 at 12:55 PM.

Hopefully you can find my video helpful

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, if you have the setup, e.g. Hunters, demo locks, spriests, moonkins and frost dk's. You shouldn't have to AoE them but if you want to know how, the video above is a perfect 'How to' guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1o1 View Post
    To be honest, if you have the setup, e.g. Hunters, demo locks, spriests, moonkins and frost dk's. You shouldn't have to AoE them but if you want to know how, the video above is a perfect 'How to' guide.
    Pretty much what he said. Im in a 10man guild and we have a Hunter, Demo Lock, Shadow Priest and a Moonkin drop mushrooms to AoE them. Usually when the molten seed phase starts my CD's are already up again. Your going to do more damage with all your CD's up attacking Ragnaros than running with seeds trying to AoE them. If you already have an ample amount of DPS for the molten elements from other classes don't worry about them too much just help with the push to get Ragnaros under 40% when the time comes. If some of the molten elemental's are still up when they get to the group just help finish them off by being stationary w/4 stacks of AB up. Hope this helped.

Deleted
    while i've not done the hc fight yet , if you have paladins ( LOL ) in your group, a hand of protection poped on YOU 2-3 seconds before the adds spawn will render YOUR add unable to fixate on you, this way you can actually go to the adds and run with them and aoe the hell out of them till the reach the group without fear of being killed

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmiSc View Post
    while i've not done the hc fight yet , if you have paladins ( LOL ) in your group, a hand of protection poped on YOU 2-3 seconds before the adds spawn will render YOUR add unable to fixate on you, this way you can actually go to the adds and run with them and aoe the hell out of them till the reach the group without fear of being killed
    While this is true and would work, Hand of Protection should be given to a class that can perform a more beneficial AoE for this situation. It should usually be given to your Warlock or Shadow Priest.
    Last edited by Sflame; 2011-10-01 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sflame View Post
    While this is true and would work, Hand of Protection should be given to a class that can perform a more beneficial AoE for this situation. It should usually be given to your Warlock or Shadow Priest.
    of course if there is a demo lock he should get it too, however do not underestimate arcane's capability when it comes to "on demand aoe " fully powered with ab stacks and arcane power and the gem i think aoe potential is higher than a demo lock even :P

10+ Year Old Account
    of course if there is a demo lock he should get it too, however do not underestimate arcane's capability when it comes to "on demand aoe " fully powered with ab stacks and arcane power and the gem i think aoe potential is higher than a demo lock even :P
    No, not at all, demo locks are far superior when it comes to AoE.

*face palm*

Yeah I don't have a level 85 demo lock so I don't know exactly how hard their AoE hits but as a comparison when I have a 4 stack of AB and some things up like Lightweave or Power Torrent (possibly even Arcane Power) I can crit well over 10k on each target, but that is on like 6-7 targets so I am sure it would diminish for all those elementals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noremac View Post
    Yeah I don't have a level 85 demo lock so I don't know exactly how hard their AoE hits but as a comparison when I have a 4 stack of AB and some things up like Lightweave or Power Torrent (possibly even Arcane Power) I can crit well over 10k on each target, but that is on like 6-7 targets so I am sure it would diminish for all those elementals.
    weird , whenever i go aE on any number of mobs it doesn't seem like it diminishes, and with proc's + ap up i get crits of well over 15-17k
    with normal hits of ~ 8-9-10k

p.s i'll get out of this thread, i see i've stirred some major arrogance fits

weird , whenever i go aE on any number of mobs it doesn't seem like it diminishes, and with proc's + ap up i get crits of well over 15-17k
    with normal hits of ~ 8-9-10k

p.s i'll get out of this thread, i see i've stirred some major arrogance fits
    Well after a certain number of mobs I stop noticing how hard I hit since I use regular combat text so all those numbers just looks like a big plate of yellow spaghetti. I am sure that Arcane Explosion is effected by the diminishing returns on AoE though. I forget the exact numbers but after a certain quantity of targets the spell will significantly less damage.

Deleted
    tested this on a pack of ~ 30 mobs , and it's true , on all 30 it crits for about 10k each with 5-6k normal hits

( this with cd's blown , ie: arcane power, dmc: v procc'd and mana gem, at nearly full mana with ~ 29% increased damage from mastery )

tested this on a pack of ~ 30 mobs , and it's true , on all 30 it crits for about 10k each with 5-6k normal hits

( this with cd's blown , ie: arcane power, dmc: v procc'd and mana gem, at nearly full mana with ~ 29% increased damage from mastery )
    Does Arcane Explosion do a lot of damage with 4 stacks of AB, Arcane Power, DMC:V proc and Mana Gem popped...yes. You are 100% correct it does a lot of damage. The whole point of why you are wrong though and misinforming the OP is because you shouldn't be popping all those CD's on Molten Elementals, thus you won't be doing all of that insane damage. It's a complete loss of DPS to blow all of your major CD's on mobs that are alive for less than 10sec and can be killed by other more efficient AoE classes. Your DPS is rather served nuking the sh*t out of Ragnaros and helping kill the Molten Elementals IF they get over to the main group. In that case, sure fire off a couple AE's to help finish them off.
    Last edited by Sflame; 2011-10-04 at 08:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whether or not you use your CDs on the adds depends on your P2 strat - pushing P2.5 after 2 or 3 seeds. With the nerf its not hard to push it in 2, but I do know that some guilds intentionally do 3 so that they can push rag through during the world in flames after the 3rd seed and thus get Rag lower in P3 for pushing 1 meteor.

If you are only pushing 2 seeds then you are better off using your CDs on Rag. If you are doing 3 then you'll have to stop dps anyway so you might as well bump up your seed damage.