Deleted

Setting up a server!

hello everyone. I am fairly new to Minecraft and I am looking to set up a server, so I got a question.
    How is this done? Does it cost? Can anybody join it?

Thanks.

1) download http://weezel.co.uk/files/Windows_CraftBukkit_Setup.zip
    2) unzip that folder to your desktop so you have a folder called CraftBukkit on it
    3) click on the link in the folder called "Latest CraftBukkit Download"
    4) download that file into the CraftBukkit folder from earlier
    5) double click on the "CraftBukkit Starter.bat" in the same folder

give it a moment or two, it will load, and then spout out:

then just run minecraft and in the IP field enter either 127.0.0.1 or localhost

on the black windows that's opened up just type "op name" replacing name with your minecraft name, and you can then dick around to your hearts content

all the above info taken from http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

---------- Post added 2011-09-30 at 01:36 PM ----------

if you want to make it accessible to friends from their homes, forward port 25565 on your router to the IP address that the PC has on your local network that you are doing this all on. the only costs are whatever you pay for internet, as you need an internet connection obviously to make this possible for them to connect. if they are at your place anyway then you dont need a connection to the net if they're connecting their pc's to your router. all they need is the IP address of your computer on your local network.
    Last edited by Wozarib; 2011-10-04 at 11:49 PM.

Deleted
    I just downloaded the server software from the minecraft site, ran it, and it works =)

Yup, that works fine as well, but this is with Bukkit included :-D

Say I want to play online, but only with a certain few other people. (Gf, small group of RL friends). I don't have the technical knowledge or equipment to set up a server myself, and doubt that anyone else in this small group does as well. What would you recommend to best set up something like this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squicken View Post
    Say I want to play online, but only with a certain few other people. (Gf, small group of RL friends). I don't have the technical knowledge or equipment to set up a server myself, and doubt that anyone else in this small group does as well. What would you recommend to best set up something like this?
    A seperate host. There are several hosts out there that hosts minecraft severs, with a really easy to use tool such as "Multicraft".

I myself use Daddycheese.com, they're really cheap and it's actually really stable. Plus, they have severs in both Europe and America.

If you dont want to pay for a server yourself then your only other option is to join a server someone else is hosting, or get some equipment yourself.
    Hi

To host your own server with your friends: (This is using the default minecraft server)

1) Download Minecraft server software.
    2) Open Server properties
    3) Input your information for the server you want including seed, port (defaulted to 25565), whether you want pvp, survival mode, flying for creative mode, etc...
    Note: Leave IP address blank.

4)Port forward your router and firewall for the port listed in the server properties. Google it if you don't know how to port forward.

5) check www.whatismyip.com and get your ip address (this will be different from your internal ip used for networking which is why you need to check it.)

6) Run the server

7) when logging in to the server use your ip address then a ":" then the port. an example using a default router ip. 192.168.1.100:25565

Note: when logging in from the host computer, you can use 127.0.0.1 or "localhost"

However, running your own server takes a lot of resources especially when hosting multitudes of people. Average run of the mill computer can host like 10 people without issues. If you plan on hosting more than that, you may need to do some more research. Also keep in mind whether or not you are running Minecraft on the same computer you are hosting. That limits the available resources to both the server and minecraft.
    Last edited by Vladimeir; 2011-10-04 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wozarib View Post
    1) download
    2) unzip that folder to your desktop so you have a folder called CraftBukkit on it
    3) click on the link in the folder called "Latest CraftBukkit Download"
    4) download that file into the CraftBukkit folder from earlier
    5) double click on the "CraftBukkit Starter.bat" in the same folder

give it a moment or two, it will load, and then spout out:

then just run minecraft and in the IP field enter either 127.0.0.1 or localhost

on the black windows that's opened up just type "op name" replacing name with your minecraft name, and you can then dick around to your hearts content

all the above info taken from http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server

---------- Post added 2011-09-30 at 01:36 PM ----------

if you want to make it accessible to friends from their homes, forward port 25565 on your router to the IP address that the PC has on your local network that you are doing this all on. the only costs are whatever you pay for internet, as you need an internet connection obviously to make this possible for them to connect. if they are at your place anyway then you dont need a connection to the net if they're connecting their pc's to your router. all they need is the IP address of your computer on your local network.
    Your an ass for using adfly.

OT: It's not that hard you really should use your own computer. Unless you want it up for 24/7.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-05-07 at 07:23 PM.

I gotta tell you, making my own sever and getting world edit pluggins in there was the hardest thing I've ever done on a computer. Bunch of different guides telling you to do it differently. No userfriendlyness is one of the downsides to these kinds of games.

Quote Originally Posted by roxor999 View Post
    Your an ass for using adfly.

OT: It's not that hard you really should use your own computer. Unless you want it up for 24/7.
    If you bothered to read my post you will see that I took all information from the web address that I listed. I copied and pasted everything which is why I linked to the original page. I didn't use adfly, that will be whatever link that is on the source page that I linked to, which for reference was: http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server.

So if anyone, you're the ass for not fully understanding my post. The adfly link is not my own. I don't use it for anything personally. I copied the download link from http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...newb-friendly/ which is linked to on the bukkit link above.

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    I gotta tell you, making my own sever and getting world edit pluggins in there was the hardest thing I've ever done on a computer. Bunch of different guides telling you to do it differently. No userfriendlyness is one of the downsides to these kinds of games.
    There's a few good guides out there, just a matter of finding the right one. Once you have it set up though, it's a piece of cake when you find yourself doing it further down the road.
    Last edited by Wozarib; 2011-10-04 at 10:05 PM.

Id say using Hamachi as the IP source is better if it you want to make absolutely sure no one else but the people you want to, can get on your server.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]