View Poll Results: Do you like How I met your mother?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

59 74.68%
  • No...

20 25.32%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    9 years of a story of how Ted met the love of his life, and the mother of his children, only to learn little to nothing about her and have her die without mention of how. Then have Ted just end up with the bar skank known as Robbin.

Barney, the most unattached human being ever, couldn't make it work with Robbin because of her traveling. How is a hopeless romantic like Ted supposed to make it work? Especially after what the mother, and Ted's destiny, was supposed to have meant to him.

Worst series final I have ever seen.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2014-04-01 at 05:02 AM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Hated the finale. Almost sorry I ever watched the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spoilered for finale

I think that no matter how it ended up, that it wasn't going to get a positive response. Just the nature of the show kind of built up to a single moment that was never going to be and couldn't be big enough to build up after nine years. So it's hard to say it was disappointing when "hello" is the finale and the entire point of the show.

I'm more curious about what people thought about Barney and Robin. I loved Barney's conclusion with him having a kid. Though, think about it. Yes, contraceptives are never going to be 100%. But of all people, Barney would be the one to make sure that getting a girl pregnant would never happen. Plus, he would also be the one willing to pay for an abortion. And we don't hear about the mother of his kid either, so we don't know what happens there. BUT, when he grabbed his kid and repeated what he said he'd never say, that was the point where I lost it. This is just one of those things where you know a character for so long, you can just see the feelings. I could not give less of a shit about kids in general, but I couldn't hold it in there.

The mother reveal as a whole wasn't all that big to begin with. Since it built up over a whole season, it wasn't really a shocking thing. Plus, it was somebody we had never seen before, so there was no "oh my god, it's HER" kind of thing. So the big moment of the show comes when you learn that Tracy is dead. The "mother" is Tracy, but the whole thing comes to a different point, in that Ted and Robin DO end up together. Well, assuming anyway. So, THAT becomes the big reveal. Was it satisfactory? Well, maybe. I mean, it's tricky. In that the writers tricked us. They said she wasn't the mother. But they knew they were going to end up together. I guess it's ok. I like the reaction from the kids for Ted to call Robin. Makes me wonder when she stopped traveling though. If she's still doing world news, then it's just gonna end up the same as what happened to Barney.

With that said, now the show feels incomplete. They forced a lot of future stuff into the last episode, but it doesn't tell the whole story. Which is sad. They had nine years to tell it. Now, the interesting parts aren't going to happen on screen. I say we need another spin-off, except, you know, all the same characters. But oh well.

I really hated the last season, but loved the finale.

Throughout the entirety of the show of the show, it always felt like Ted and Robin were meant to be together, and even thought I always "knew" (pretty much from the 2nd episode when he refers to her as Aunt Robin to the kids) they wouldn't end up together, the show had a unique way of keeping me hoping that they would.

I think the way it ended lets the show express themes like:
    - There is something romantic about destiny
    - You never know how life will turn out
    - Romance knows no age

I think if they had gone with the... "3 married couples living it up happily ever after" ending, it would've been bland and unimaginative.

The daughter really put it best, this was never a story about how he met their mother. It was always a show about his years of being in love with Robin.

Last thing I'd say is: a story going full circle is a perfectly acceptable ending for me.
    Last edited by Windry; 2014-04-01 at 06:02 AM.

They just red-weddinged their own show.

I loved it, probably out of nostalgia more than the finale itself.

I.. always had a feeling Robin will end up with Ted. Marshall won his bet, in the end ( he bets Ted and Robin -will- end up together )..

I only wish instead of Girl 31, Barney would've ended up with Nora. I think she was great for him and wanted to see her again.

Also damn you Milloti for saying The Mother doesn't die and calling the theory insane.

I have never ever understood why so many people like this show.

It has an idiotic premise, paper thin characters and the writing is abysmal. Even Two and a Half Men is funnier than this train wreck.

Only positives are some of the cast, Neil Patrick Harris and Alyson Hannigan in particular. Not much they can do with the corny material they have to deliver though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I have never ever understood why so many people like this show.

It has an idiotic premise, paper thin characters and the writing is abysmal. Even Two and a Half Men is funnier than this train wreck.
    Not biting the bait.

HIMYM is superior to two and a half men in every possible way.

10+ Year Old Account
    next time i spend 9 years watching a show ill suspend my hope for a good ending and just go ahead and assume its going to be shit.

Dr.Pepper is made from fairy tears. Pokemon IGN: Josh FC: 0662-4407-8552

It was obvious The Mother was dying since a few episodes again when she asks '' What kind of mother misses her daughter's wedding... '' and Ted starts crying.

I mean, really. You should have seen it coming.

And what's Ted supposed to do? Grow old and senile alone?

In the end, they're all happy.

Marshall and Lily went to Italy, Barney finally found the love of his life ( though I still wanted Nora ) and Ted and Robin are happy.

Everyone ended up with their first love ( even if, in death ).

I kind of thought the kids were pretty flip about their mother being dead and Ted moving on. Like, jarringly so.

From a storytelling point of view, I don't mind the premise of it. The daughter is right, the mother is on-screen too little to be the true subject of the story. But the very premise of the show is the destiny those two shared on their way to each other. To have said destiny dismissed by some mystery illness before the kids are even teenagers (rough estimate) and have Ted end up with Robin, a coupling which has defied destiny every step of the way in this story, kind of flies in the face of the series. To have it simply put aside (by the kids in the show, by the writers in reality) as really just an excuse for how much he likes Robin....that's weak.

Also, literally the last two years of this series was about Barney and Robin defying odds to get married, and it was dismissed in one episode? WTF?

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Kinda feel like they cheesed out on the ending a little 9 years I met her knocked her up and she died and now I wanna bang Robin again I feel kinda let down.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shit ending. Ted just doesn't go well with Robin, and I'm not even sure why he has loved her all this time, considering their personalities. Very disappointed with the premise of the entire series now. I do like how the others rounded out though. So it wasn't a 100% horrible ending. And I enjoyed almost every moment Milioti (why did you lie to us though, about the Mother's death ....) was in, so that's a plus.

Deleted
    I can't decide if it makes it even worse or not, that this ending had been planned years ago (they shot the kid's reaction scene around Season 2).

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi

She didn't lie. She called it insane.

The show ended with a twist and with all mysteries solved.

Marshall was right about Ted and Robin not being over.

Ted and Robin fulfilled their agreement that if they are not married age 40 and up they will marry each other.

Barney finally found love, though in an unexpected way.

Marshall got to be a judge.

I hated the whole ending. Building up Barney and Robyn for 3 seasons and then; nope.They should've thrown away the shitty ending filmed during season 2 and just let Ted be happy with Tracy. Blegh
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

They were married for 3 years.

It's something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooo... what's with the pineapple?!

I loved loved loved this ending. I started crying when Lily had the conversation with Robin in the empty apartment and didn't stop until 10 minutes after I finished watching. I think it was perfect and this ending was planned from the beginning. I'm perfectly fine with everything that happened. Would have loved to see that #31 though.. It has always been Robin. If you watched the show AND enjoyed it all 9 years you know it was going to be Robin. There was never any doubt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexinho View Post
    They were married for 3 years.

It's something.
    3 years that they threw out in all of 30 minutes. Just because they said 3 years out loud doesn't make it so. No one believes they were married for 3 years and then broke up in 1 night, that's the problem.

They didn't just make them break up, or have the mother die, it's not that simple. The problem is that they didn't give those things any meaning. Who gives a shit that the mother died? No one knows who she is, no one knows how she died, and she gave Ted 2 kids. And the same can be said for Barney and Robin's whole marriage. Instead of making the wedding last an entire season they should have made the wedding the first episode and stretched the last episode over the entire last season. They had 22 episodes of useless filler that STILL ended in divorce, and 2 episode's of story.

I'm not mad the way the show ended, I'm mad how the writers went about doing it.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.