Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Venali View Post
    The Envoy system is very, very new. It's something of a breakthrough - it's really exciting for the deaf community at large. +5 to science!
    Here's to perfecting the system and eventually rescuing eyesight.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I assumed that once deaf, you were permanently deaf. Didn't realise we'd got the tech to be able to enable people to hear again. I won't say "omg why are we not giving this to more people?111!!1!ONE!1?!", but i will say i hope that we can actually find a way to enable more people to regain a sense of hearing without being extortionate. I imagine it's pretty expensive.
    Theres even shit that lets blind people see pretty good (not details, but like, outlines of things and stuff.)

Truly amazing stuff. I can't imagine the mind-shattering, confounding awe to be found in essentially feeling what would be a sense you have been deprived of, for the first time in your life. I can only hope this technology improves in time to become readily accessible to those who want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I assumed that once deaf, you were permanently deaf. Didn't realise we'd got the tech to be able to enable people to hear again. I won't say "omg why are we not giving this to more people?111!!1!ONE!1?!", but i will say i hope that we can actually find a way to enable more people to regain a sense of hearing without being extortionate. I imagine it's pretty expensive.
    There's been cochlear implants since before ive been born, the sound quality is just really bad compared to normal hearing, however all of this is highly controversial among the deaf community.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    i don't understand why she sounds normal and not like someone who is deaf. i have never met a deaf person who didn't sound extremely different when they spoke
    learning how to speak comes alot with hearing it, like when babies start to imitate what they hear, hence why deaf people sound like they're slow in some way but really aren't

This was interesting.. I remember the first cochlear implants, they were bulky and had risks associated with it, this was in the 90's. Doc told me i had a high chance of not being able to play physical contact sports, so i chose not to since sports was my life during my childhood-teenager times. I was asked again in 2000, i still refused and i was still playing sports. Now, even with the technology i still wouldn't opt for it. I've been profoundly deaf (both ears) my whole life and i can't hear anything unless it was makin' something over 120 decibels, which is something louder than a concert or a 747 cruising at whatever speed its capable of doing, at 300 feet.

Interesting find though, glad for her.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is awesome. Cheered me right up, nice post man

When a wild forum troll appears

That was just amazing. Good for her and I am truly happy for her and her husband.

She is gonna blow a fucking socket when she hears some classical/epic trailer music for the first time lol.

Deleted
    My god that was beautiful!

This is the kind of thing the world should be focused on doing; helping people. There are so many people who need help, yet there are so many who ignore them. Seeing this video, how can you not be motivated? I sure am. Seeing such joy brings joy to my own heart. It's one of those things that makes one "human". Those are things we need to appreciate, since we're pretty lucky to have these feelings.

Well, you get my point. Great video, I like it. Hoping that these kind of things will get developed further, along with things to help others, like mutes and blind people.

can't imagine myself in that situation. It must be like been born again.
    proud participant of the most epic thread ever: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...an-made/page36

My grandmother is deaf, and she doesn't speak very well; I agree with some posters that majority of deaf people I have encountered normally have a hard time speaking but I would never notice the difference with this girl! Very nice video and pretty girl
    you fill my lungs with sweetness & you fill my head with you.

thanks for making my day a bit better it can get depressing skimming through off-topic some days.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Here's to perfecting the system and eventually rescuing eyesight.
    today hearing, tomorrow, BIONIC LASER EYES! *dramatic music* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67TEDxrcuM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

what? did they happen to have a camera the moment some girl just happened to hear herself? im calling bs
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's so awesome, +1 for science

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    what? did they happen to have a camera the moment some girl just happened to hear herself? im calling bs
    Because I'm sure it was totally unexpected and nobody thought to bring a camera for what could have been one of the most important moments of her entire life.

I love technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timbli View Post
    i don't have any sense of smell... i can't smell anything. So i think i understand her a bit. Would be awesome if i can smell anything, even smelling poop probably will be incredible to me, hahahaha.
    Wow I never thought there were people who couldn't smell before. Of course those are the lucky ones. In all honesty smell is the most useless sense. I think we use smell to detect dangers in the air, or in what we are about to consume. Since we don't go out in the wild smelling bushes, or smelling other people anymore I think people who cannot smell don't really have a serious disability, unless you're in a room with a propane leek and you can't smell the propane. Then again you'll probably get drowsy and notice that the air is bad. So where was I...? Oh yeah. I am happy I was born with a working everything (Eyes, ears, nose, legs). I didn't know sense could get restored, and the sense of sound being so important to Humans, I am glad people who otherwise couldn't hear could now hear. Though it probably costs a lot of money for the procedure.

I doubt anyone can really understand what this means for her, unless we had been in the same situation.