Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How Do You Name Yours?

So, you've got your character looking how you want it, all you need now is a name.

My question is this, how would you name your character?

Very Carefully.

I think it takes me a good 10-20 mins to come up with a "NAME".

IMO Hardest Part of this game is creating a name, 2nd part is leveling due to it being insanely boring!

I've turned to the Wiktionary word of the day archive more than once - got various alts named Octothorpe, Ameliorate, Pilcrow, Ellipse, Moritose and Pantheon, to mention a few examples.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unfortunately I'm not very good with names so I normally just use a variation of my original username xD

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I try to find a name which is genuine and unique. Which normally makes me do a google search on the chosen name before actually using it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I generally try and find something that clicks with the race. Well, either that or "Zaelsina, Zaelsinu" and other "imaginative" and "creative" names...

Your tauren has a good one. I'd use something up that lane too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to google name lists hunting for something appropriate-sounding. Native American for tauren, Victorian English for worgen, Scottish/Gaelic for dwarves, etc. Or I just make something up that sounds right.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    I just name whatever come to my mind, like recently I made a new shaman alt and was drinking tea at the time, so I named him teabag -_-

Hi. I'm 20 years old and I've asked my mom every time I wanted to create a new character.
    Some names she have come up with:
    Quizen(warcraft 2 nick name), Banouk(Hunter pet, bear), Mjakk(Dwarf hunter). Ive reused all 3 several times for all kinds of different things =P

Quote Originally Posted by Quizen View Post
    Hi. I'm 20 years old and I've asked my mom every time I wanted to create a new character.
    Some names she have come up with:
    Quizen(warcraft 2 nick name), Banouk(Hunter pet, bear), Mjakk(Dwarf hunter). Ive reused all 3 several times for all kinds of different things =P
    lol, this made me laugh, last time I asked my mom for something was when I was like 13.

Deleted
    I usually design my character and class after a name. Taking the names from games and books I enjoyed the most.

Like a NE Druid called Jaheira.

Deleted
    names for my characters are -

Malchiah - draenai shaman - reason i went with that name is that i liked the sound of it from when i played Soul reaver (i think it was one of his brothers names) it kinda stuck in my head while i was trying to create my shaman and so the name worked ^^

Daegen - thats my druids name - i usually just spend 5 mins or so rolling words out that sound good or are rather striking when said

Ryele - thats my warriors name - same as the druids for how i created it

Rhaal - my rogues name - i kinda wanted something sneaky and evil sounding to go with being a rogue and with watching the legend of the seeker, well you kinda get the reason of the name (and yes i know its spelt Rahl - its just a variation of it)

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ellesime View Post
    I usually design my character and class after a name. Taking the names from games and books I enjoyed the most.

Like a NE Druid called Jaheira.
    nice steal from baldur's gate there =P

Most of mine are named after Intel CPU code names. Couple of star names thrown in and my original name from EQ, Cosworth.

Deleted
    It depends a lot. I tend to give my characters what some people would call "RP names". It does varie a lot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quizen View Post
    Really? Would be the last person I would go to.

I name my chars after names I have made up, something with fitting to their class or just because I find a name pretty.
    I have found babyname sites handy, because you can search for orgin of the name or the meaning.

I tend to mash syllables together until I get something that I feel "fits" the character in question. So, my toons are Shaeil, Caitala, Daetur, Kiore, and Jokaras. Lexander, my warlock, was a special case. He's a worgen, and I just dropped the "A" from "Alexander," obviously. Hmm, I guess I do have a couple exceptions. There's Tophur, my rogue, named after watching Dollhouse, and Corleonis, my mage, which means "Lionheart."
    Last edited by Daetur; 2011-10-01 at 03:04 PM.

Deleted
    Well, I just try to come up with an awful pun based around the class/race or a title.
    Paladin - Aura ('Crusader' Aura with title)
    Warrior - Stancedancer
    Gnome Priest - Healbiter
    Mage - Hovispocus (All mage food being baked goods, Hovis is a bakery company in the UK)
    Tauren Druid - Convertibull

Deleted
    Ponder for a good 30 minutes with mixed results.
    In order of likelihood:
    1) ESC ESC ESC ESC rage quit the game
    2) Browse internet for names or ask gf to help out

Quote Originally Posted by Jekdin View Post
    lol, this made me laugh, last time I asked my mom for something was when I was like 13.
    Moms know best and propably have more original ideas than some random kid, don't be childish.

I was drinking Kombucha when I rolled my priest.

Most of my other characters have nonsensical names like "Phog" or "Crutt" I like names that are fun to say, and I'm generally unimpressed by names with loads of meaning behind them.

Also people who try to create "badass" names make me giggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament
    You would think that after all these years people would have realized that the people at Blizzard aren't sorcerors and are hindered by technology just like the rest of us mortals.
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcall
    I will never understand why so many people who quit can't just QUIT and move on, and instead feel the need to come tell everyone about it, as if they just won the $100 million jackpot.

Named 4 of my characters by the name of songs. For example, Schisma for "Schism", by Tool. One is named after musician, one after disease, two I didn't name by myself (one cartoon character and one random) and well... I guess it's random bounce-to-the-head names.