Computer wont power down after gfx card upgrade.

My girlfriends recent gfx card burnt out and i purchased her a new one to replace it in her old system, it's a HD5450. Since the upgrade however the computer wont power down correctly, the computer shuts down and you hear the HDD switch off, but the internal fans are all running, case fans/gfx card fans and processor fans.

I did a complete removal of all drivers, reinstalled the correct most up to date ones using ati's automatic driver program and still nothing, under devices the video adapter shows as the hd5450, however the PCI-E is showing as drivers not installed, and cant find any Microsoft ones.

I know it's the card causing this issue as when i remove it the system powers down just fine. Note this is not a shutdown problem but a POWER one, her computer is about 3-4 years old and the mobo is a pci-e 1.0, the cards a 2.1 but i thought they were backwards compatible and it shouldn't have been an issue.

Are there any common causes for this problem or is it just a case of other components need to be updated, and if so, which ones would be the bare minimum? (im a student and shes looking for work so budget is everything)

10+ Year Old Account
    I suggest using suspend instead, if that produces the same result it's more then likely an incompatibility with the motherboard.
    Could try and update the bios but unless it mentions adding compatibility for that series of cards I doubt it will solve the problem.

put the computer into hibernation it just wakes itself back up straight away. Trying to update the bios but having never done it before it's giving me some aggro, supposed to be an ez-flash utility on the mobo but it's not on the bios menu.

Mobo is a asus p5sd2-vm incase any known compatability issues are around.

Will post back if/when i get a successful bios update.

---------- Post added 2011-10-02 at 12:52 PM ----------

Ok so i flashed the bios to the most recent version, sadly the problem still persists. I am going to assume now this is due to a compatability problem with the mobo given teh gfx card is pci-e 2.1 and the mobo is an old 1.0.

If anyone does know of any power options or updates that could solve the issue then please feel free to post. But at this stage im just gonna get a cheap barebones upgrade for her i think.

Deleted
    Can't you just like take out the cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Yes that works however it's not a solution is it? I can think of a lot of times i am in a rush to get out i just hit shut down and leave knowing the computers going off. Those fans running who knows what could happen.

The fact the powers not working correctly in this situation is also an issue in regards to the hard drive, on a shut down it's fine the hdd power goes off and by removing the wire/turning the socket off the system will be completely powered down, however on a couple of restarts the hdd has not lost power correctly and wants to run a chkdisk. Wouldn't want to lose a hard drive because of something simple.

Deleted
    as far as i know, backwards compatibility works the other way around, i.e. a 1.0 card fits and works in a 2.0 mobo.

what was the previous graphics card?

if all else fails, get a 2.1 compliant motherboard, but that usually means you need to update your CPU as well due to sockets.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Yes he can take out the cable.... however the fact that there is still an underlying issue means he should not have to do this and it could be something far more serious. Though honestly, taking the cable out is a better idea for all of us as it will draw 0 power from the wall when the computer is off. That's another discussion though.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water