Thread: Underrated Pets

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Underrated Pets

What sort of pets do you feel that is underrated and deserves more recognition?
    Mine, its the chimera

My reasons: Frost Breath
    and Froststorm Breath

I PVP in BM spec and those 2 spells are super useful, Froststorm especially. It's spammable, it's an aoe, it can be used while channeling, it doesn't require a target, and its not on the GCD. I'm unsure if it can use kill command or intimidation while channeling although it think it does. Didn't get the chance to try it out
    I use it to find stealthies. I use it to interrupter people off the flags. Its just super awesome imo.

What are your thoughts? Any other pets?
    I would've made a poll but there's too many pets lol

Raptors, with all the pally and DK tanks there are now, its rare you have the armor reduction debuff on the target.

also 2 hunters with raptors, 1 raptor on each leg of Lord Ryolith = WIN!

cats are underrated, everybody say that the dog is the man's best friend but cats are cool too, even if you can train them to stay on a leash
    OT: wind serpents, i feel that with all the caster base fights that cata has ( where raid bosses encounters favor range) the 3% magic damage boost is useful

it's 8% magic damage and the buff can be brought by another class such as a warlock, assassination rogue or balance druid.

I would say one of the most underrated pets is a moth or gorilla, no caster expects anything in pvp apart from intimidation or silencing shot which they've most likely prepared for, no caster tries to fakecast a hunter because there's no point.

WELL THINK AGAIN MAUAHA.

The amount of times I've soloed healers from locking them out of their healing school for 4 seconds is priceless, they just don't expect it. Also mages get pretty screwed over if you lock them out of frost school and take them out before they can iceblock.

Also for BM one of the most underrated pets is BM, I can about equal a feral druid's or demo warlocks burst aoe DPS with burrow, BW and multi shot and an explosive trap thrown in too. Not many classes can boast that.

Yeah i agree with Illiana for the interupt pet, even if personally i prefer the Nether ray, lock out doesn't last as long, but neither is the CD. At least agains't casters, i don't even bother dueling healers lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I haven't had much success with Chimaera's AoE in raids, it is really useful in detecting rogues. Just run around with it activated and any rogue that happens to get his pops out. At least, that's what I remember from my time in Tol Barad.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    While I haven't had much success with Chimaera's AoE in raids, it is really useful in detecting rogues. Just run around with it activated and any rogue that happens to get his pops out. At least, that's what I remember from my time in Tol Barad.
    its a very effective bodyguard XD

those must be terrible rogues considering frost breath on chimera is a channel so it cant move so the rogues should have plenty of wiggle room
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    those must be terrible rogues considering frost breath on chimera is a channel so it cant move so the rogues should have plenty of wiggle room
    it can move while channeling. I've even adapted a way of running around so that my pet's froststorm breath is sweeping back and forth while running around following me

Quote Originally Posted by ra1n View Post
    What sort of pets do you feel that is underrated and deserves more recognition?
    Mine, its the chimera

My reasons: Frost Breath
    and Froststorm Breath

I PVP in BM spec and those 2 spells are super useful, Froststorm especially. It's spammable, it's an aoe, it can be used while channeling, it doesn't require a target, and its not on the GCD. I'm unsure if it can use kill command or intimidation while channeling although it think it does. Didn't get the chance to try it out
    I use it to find stealthies. I use it to interrupter people off the flags. Its just super awesome imo.

What are your thoughts? Any other pets?
    I would've made a poll but there's too many pets lol
    Well BM is already a weak spec. And MM hunters (the only almost viable PvP spec) need their pets for their abilities and not their (very little) damage. Good MM hunters just keep their pets in passive near them so they have LOS and can make sure they don't get killed behind a pillar in a stun.

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    The chimeras most certainly can move while they're channeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterland View Post
    Well BM is already a weak spec. And MM hunters (the only almost viable PvP spec) need their pets for their abilities and not their (very little) damage. Good MM hunters just keep their pets in passive near them so they have LOS and can make sure they don't get killed behind a pillar in a stun.
    Sorry I but I beg to differ. Since switching to BM I've had a higher DPS and survival rate. I like being BM because I have spirit mend fervor and intimidation for heals and I actually use my pets for dmg. I can have them chase after a target behind a wall and use kill command while I LOS since people rarely targets a pet.
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2s1x9mu.jpg
    A screenshot from a few days ago. I'm not the best but it does show that I fared pretty well against others as a BM

anything that isnt a sporebat

Personally I would vote for Scorpids, I almost never see other hunters using them in pvp but they can be life savers in a BG and even Arena. Since they are tenacity they can take a bigger beating then their cunning counterparts and that 10 second disarm that you can use while stunned can be amazing. I can't count how many times a rogue opens up on me only to find themselves disarmed. In Arena it really punishes any 2H melee class that never bothered to get a weapon chain. It also wrecks other hunters. (Not to mention tenacity also means roar of sacrifice which is just win )

I also love to keep a warp stalker on my pet bar. I almost never pull him out for the main fight but after the dps go down he can do wonders for finishing off a pillar humping healer that wants to play the "lets see how long I can live" game.

Would a Chimaera being viable for heroic rag in phase 2 when AoEing down the adds? I'm just curious... cause I know having an extra stun and the added DPS in phase 3 would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    Would a Chimaera being viable for heroic rag in phase 2 when AoEing down the adds? I'm just curious... cause I know having an extra stun and the added DPS in phase 3 would be nice.
    Chimeras don't have a stun. They have their aoe breath and the 8% increased magic damage buff. Worms don't provide a stun either, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    The chimeras most certainly can move while they're channeling it.
    At least the animation keep running, as I saw when I tried. But I liked more my Worm for PvE AoE.
    Now, one pet that I only see myself using in Surv is the Dhawk. And I have to say that once I made a Zandalari with a demo lock, and saw my full dungeon average 16K DPS, at the time, skyrocket to full dungeon average 22K with combined damage modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebyrd View Post
    Chimeras don't have a stun. They have their aoe breath and the 8% increased magic damage buff. Worms don't provide a stun either, unfortunately.
    Intimidation?

My question is, is the mobile AoE channeling of the frost breath enough to help get the adds down in Phase 2. Wonder if anyone has tried.

Shale Spider, 3 sec stun (not web, stun)
    Tenacity goodness- Intervene, hard to kill-
    Low profile

Top choice for BM PvP imo, just rotate a spirit beast in for HoTs and buffs.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by Puerto View Post
    Well it all comes down on your raid setup and how you do it. We pack together and AoE them down before they even reach us, and I'm usually on the top3 going MM with 1 point on Rapid Killing for Rapid Recuperation procs (Beth'tilac style). I tried BM few tries but the main problem I found was pet positioning and his focus not regenerating for AoE if I keep him DPSing Ragnaros until adds pop, also I found BM DPS lackluster overall fight.