Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Pokemon Silver/Gold] help me become a better trainer.

Hello guys.

When I was 11 years old I got my first Pokemon game: Pokemon Silver, for the gameboy color. I used to play a little, but never gotten really into it since I didn't understand a single word in english back then. Now that I'm 10 years older, I picked up the game again and I'm honestly extremely entertained, as I understand the storyline and why the game was critically acclaimed. The only thing is that I'm a bad trainer.

Onto the more gameplay-related stuff;

It's the first time I "played" the game, and I didn't do a lot of stuff that I should have. For instance, I leveled a single pokemon, and all the other ones are far, far behind. I have a level 49 Fereligatr, and the rest are...level 15, them being used only for moves such as flash, or surf.

Now I'm in the last city, in Cianwood city, and I thought I was almost done with the game. Now apparently there are a bunch more to beat, and I won't be able to make it with one single good pokemon. I have the fly TM, but don't have a flying pokemon (can't find one lol...). I also think I need to level different pokemons, but I don't know where to find em, why I should find them, and I'm wondering when I'm going to hit the wall where I'll derp.

So guys; I'm asking: Firstly, do I really need to get a good pokemon team, as in more than 1 or two very strong ones? Secondly, how do I level underleveled pokemons? I don't wanna wander around starting area for hours to level up low pokemons. Thirdly, which TMs are worth it to put on pokemons? Fourthly, which rare pokemons are worth to look after? I heard Lugia and Hu-Oh were good, but I have no clue where to find them.

Bottom line: How do I become a better trainer, overall, to help me compete in the game? I never lost a battle till now with my higher level pokemon, but at one point I'm pretty sure I will. Also, does anybody have a source they could direct me to so I can look into it? Not a database, but somewhere with tips, etc, that doesn't literally guide you through the game. I want to experience it, but some advice or tips wouldn't be refused!

Thanks,
    Chicken

This part of the team was what I had that helped me through majority of G/S/C:
    Typhlosion with moves I remember him having: Return (based on pokemon loyalty, can get pretty strong), Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Flamethrower
    Murkrow (dark attacks + flying)
    Togetic (Metronome is the main ability you want to have)

Though most of these you won't find til later.. like Murkrow, you wont find him til you are able to go to Kanto. Bottom like is to try and make your team as diverse as possible. You're going to have a tough time with Feraligatr as he is the least desirable of the three starters

The Elite Four will violently rape that Ferraligatr, and the second half of the game will continue to do the same, if he survives. Your best choice would be to train up a balanced set of pokemon type-wise that cover Ferraligatr's weaknesses. You can either train them up on wild pokemon at-level or do the switch trick, which is having the pokemon you're trying to level at the front of your party when fighting a strong pokemon, switching to Ferraligatr and letting him take a hit, then finishing the battle with your strong pokemon. Your weak pokemon gets a bunch of XP without taking hits. I'd recommend at least 3-4 other pokemon at about the same level as Ferraligatr, like early 40s at least.

I'd recommend, personally, getting an Ampharos, possibly a Quagsire for ground-type attacks though it's water-type is redundant, along with a solid psychic-type like Xatu or Espeon.

For a database of information on everything pokemon related, there are two major sites that I'm aware of, Bulbapedia and Serebii. Both should have some information on the Gold and Silver games, and can be found below:

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml (General information database)

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page (More of a Wiki on everything Pokemon.)
    Last edited by Caiada; 2011-10-02 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarasthura View Post
    This part of the team was what I had that helped me through majority of G/S/C:
    Typhlosion with moves I remember him having: Return (based on pokemon loyalty, can get pretty strong), Earthquake, Thunder Punch, Flamethrower
    Murkrow (dark attacks + flying)
    Togetic (Metronome is the main ability you want to have)

Though most of these you won't find til later.. like Murkrow, you wont find him til you are able to go to Kanto. Bottom like is to try and make your team as diverse as possible. You're going to have a tough time with Feraligatr as he is the least desirable of the three starters
    To be honest with you, my Feriligatr with Cut (normal)/Bite (dark)/Wave (water) & another one (depending) is currently overpowering everything I've ever came across in 1-shot (2-shot for gym pokemons). I'm trying to figure out what to level, and where to find it.

Also, how do I bring underleveled pokemons to higher levels? I have a togepi & a gastly I'd love to use. Then I'm planing on catching something such as a Lugia as a water pokemon, and maybe something like a Pikachu/Onyx to complete, and learn them some signature abilities. Again, how do I level them?

Lastly, how do I get master balls? I have one I believe, but I "found" it.
    Thanks again
    Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Chickensoup23 View Post
    To be honest with you, my Feriligatr with Cut (normal)/Bite (dark)/Wave (water) & another one (depending) is currently overpowering everything I've ever came across in 1-shot (2-shot for gym pokemons). I'm trying to figure out what to level, and where to find it.

Also, how do I bring underleveled pokemons to higher levels? I have a togepi & a gastly I'd love to use. Then I'm planing on catching something such as a Lugia as a water pokemon, and maybe something like a Pikachu/Onyx to complete, and learn them some signature abilities. Again, how do I level them?

Lastly, how do I get master balls? I have one I believe, but I "found" it.
    Thanks again
    Chicken
    It's been a long time since I've last played, but I believe you can buy master balls later on after defeating some gym leaders.

As far as level grinding pokemon, you should do what Caiada said: send out your low lvl pokemon first, then switch out for a stronger one. It also helps to give the low level pokemon EXP-Share so they get exp even if you don't send them out. It stacks with the switching method. IIRC I grinded in the dragon cave place near the 8th gym leader's town, but an easier method is to call up trainers that give you their phone numbers so you can battle them again

Also, about halfway through the game you can get Leftovers from your mom's kitchen, which is IMO the BEST item in the game--restores some hp automatically after every turn

Murkrow has terrible stats

To OP have Feraligator learn ice punch if it doesnt already. Ampharos(an electric sheep that stands on 2 legs) might be a good choice too Hitmonlee or Chan by raising the Tyrogue egg you get from inside the cave between Ecruteak and the Ice guys town are also good and since your playing Silver Donphan (a really short ground type elephant) is also good but Donphan is Silver exclusive so if u arent playing it tough luck also Houndoom (found in the same place as Murkcrow but much rarer and only at night) is good. Oh and Houndoom is dark/fire which is a convenient typing.

Though most of these you won't find til later.. like Murkrow, you wont find him til you are able to go to Kanto. Bottom like is to try and make your team as diverse as possible. You're going to have a tough time with Feraligatr as he is the least desirable of the three starters[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 10:24 PM ----------

It's been a long time since I've last played, but I believe you can buy master balls later on after defeating some gym leaders.

As far as level grinding pokemon, you should do what Caiada said: send out your low lvl pokemon first, then switch out for a stronger one. It also helps to give the low level pokemon EXP-Share so they get exp even if you don't send them out. It stacks with the switching method.

Also, about halfway through the game you can get Leftovers from your mom's kitchen, which is IMO the BEST item in the game--restores some hp automatically after every turn
    U never buy master balls you MIGHT get them in a lottery so the 1 u got is it. And you get leftovers in Saffron city from the eating place where theres a competition going on
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Quote Originally Posted by ambigiouslynamed View Post
    Murkrow has terrible stats
    To me, stats don't matter as much as the abilities a pokemon can learn. Plus, Murkrow was my preferred dark-type pokemon back then

We can't train you to be a better trainer. It's all about respect, that's why every rival loses to you in the Canon, because nobody but 'N' Respects their Pokémon enough.

Thanks for the input,
    keep it coming!

To me, stats don't matter as much as the abilities a pokemon can learn. Plus, Murkrow was my preferred dark-type pokemon back then
    Stats is like all that matters. Though for playing through the game all you really need is pokemon with high attack stats and high speed stats. Hit first and hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    Stats is like all that matters. Though for playing through the game all you really need is pokemon with high attack stats and high speed stats. Hit first and hit hard.
    What does speed do?
    Always wondered.

What does speed do?
    Always wondered.
    The pokemon with the higher speed is the one that hits first in that round. If you can hit first with a hard hitting ability that will oneshot the other pokemon then your health and defense stats won't matter. That's why speed and attack stats are the most important for playing through the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    The pokemon with the higher speed is the one that hits first in that round. If you can hit first with a hard hitting ability that will oneshot the other pokemon then your health and defense stats won't matter. That's why speed and attack stats are the most important for playing through the story.
    Well my Feriligatr has the ATK thing that makes it higher, and his speed is over 100 at 40ish. I've never been second to hit first. I can stand a hit anyway, all I've been fighting is level 25-30 and I'm almost level 50...it's stupid, I 1-shot everything.

Well my Feriligatr has the ATK thing that makes it higher, and his speed is over 100 at 40ish. I've never been second to hit first. I can stand a hit anyway, all I've been fighting is level 25-30 and I'm almost level 50...it's stupid, I 1-shot everything.
    At the first Elite Four, things jump up by 10-15 levels, if I remember correctly, and anything you've got a type disadvantage against will either block your Ferraligatr's attacks hard or kill it outright. You'll need other things to rely on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    At the first Elite Four, things jump up by 10-15 levels, if I remember correctly, and anything you've got a type disadvantage against will either block your Ferraligatr's attacks hard or kill it outright. You'll need other things to rely on.
    I'm currently levelign a Togepi, and I'm seeing what else I can get which's going to be worth it before I get to the 2nd part of the game (kanto, if I remember?)

In all the pokemon games I've played over the years(everything minus Yellow and the DS ones) all I ever used to beat all the Gyms+ Elite Four was the starter you choose in the front. The key is that since its the only guy you use he should usually have quite a bit of a level advantage on your opponents and teaching them moves that counter their weaknesses. Now to cover your only weaknesses electric and grass you can teach your guys Dig/Ice punch and later once you gain access Earthquake/Ice Beam. Your move list later on to use against the elite four should be something like this Earthquake, Ice beam or Ice Punch, Surf and Hyper Beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    In all the pokemon games I've played over the years(everything minus Yellow and the DS ones) all I ever used to beat all the Gyms+ Elite Four was the starter you choose in the front. The key is that since its the only guy you use he should usually have quite a bit of a level advantage on your opponents and teaching them moves that counter their weaknesses. Now to cover your only weaknesses electric and grass you can teach your guys Dig/Ice punch and later once you gain access Earthquake/Ice Beam. Your move list later on to use against the elite four should be something like this Earthquake, Ice beam or Ice Punch, Surf and Hyper Beam.
    so u havent played the last 7 games? good to know
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Deleted
    1st of all. dont play those. play fire red or leaf green. Or Sapphire ( and these kind) but, im not a pokemon freak. which i dount u are
    But, like u. it was kinda funny at some point to play. i was following some great guides on the internet. think he was called Leeroy pokemon. (or something similar)
    Try search him up. or just search pokemon black walkthrough and see what they are doing. im pretty sure some chinease kids are rocking that game 24/7
    Anyways. nice post.

The reason I first enjoyed playing Pokemon so much was figuring out how the game works as I adventured through it, and hardly used help sources unless I was completely stumped. It feels more immersive when you learn about these things while you're playing (and this goes for any good game really). Here's some general tips though:

1. Learn which move types are strong/weak/immune against which type of Pokemon (e.g. fire beats water, fighting is weak to flying, etc). And watch out for double super effective/ineffective (ice will murder dragon+flying types, 4X damage). This will help defeat opponents quickly.

2. Try to keep your team balanced so you can cover all your bases. It is possible to complete it with 1 Pokemon, but it's a ton easier when you have more with various types. If you need to level a weak Pokemon, give it the item "EXP share" (don't recall where you get it though), and that will give it half of all EXP gained by the current fighter. Or just start with the weak one and switch it out to your stronger one, it will get half EXP this way too.

3. Use stats to your advantage. More Attack/Sp Attack means more damage for your physical/special moves respectively (As a side-note, keep in mind which moves are physical or special). More Defense/Sp Defense is for countering the foe's high Attack/Sp Attack, respectively. The one with more speed moves first (usually). Look at the accuracy/power of moves to decide on whether the situation is dire enough to use inaccurate moves.

Enjoy.

First off, when I play Pokemon / RPGs in general, I *always* powerlevel one character. It's just how I roll. It can work, and be faceroll. Other times, it will be painful, depending on the opponent's group makeup. But both ways will work, whatever you're comfortable with.

One thing I'd like to point out is something called "STAB", or Same Type Attack Bonus. This means that if Squirtle uses Surf, it will inherently do more damage if, say a normal type uses the same move. Water types do more damage with Water attacks than a Normal using a Water attack. STAB, iirc, gives a 1.5x damage modifier, close to the same damage as a super effective hit (2x). Therefore, it's usually a smart idea to use a move that is similar to the type of the Pokemon than a random move.

In regards to leveling your Pokemon, don't forget of an item called " EXP Share". If Pokemon "A" has EXP Share equipped, and Pokemon "B" battles, even if "A" never comes into battle, "A" will get some experience. It's very useful for leveling.

For a Master Ball, I've forgotten the case of Silver / Gold, but if memory serves, you only get one per adventure. To get another you need to restart your game entirely, or trade with another real life person that has one.

Hopefully this helps!