10+ Year Old Account

New Obsidian IP: The Wheel of Time

For those of you that know Obsidian Entertainment (KOTOR2, NWN2, FO:NV, etc) they're currently working on a new IP together with Red Eagle: The Wheel of Time! Now, I don't know how many of you are reading the novels but simply put they're epic. Amazing. Fantastico! Easily one of the best (albeit streched out) series of all time. If you haven't already I highly recommend you give the books a try. There will be a few novels that test your patience (ugggh Egwene), but overall Robert Jordan's world is easily one of the deepest and most exciting that I've seen.

Although we know next to nothing about the game, current speculation has it that the game will be set in either the Trolloc Wars or the Age of Legends. Thoughts? Theories? The only thing we think we know for sure will be that it will be multiplatform (PS3, 360 and PC). I'm currently hoping for the Trolloc Wars, though I wonder how things will work with male channelers. I'm looking forward to seeing what setting they choose.

For now, here is an article you can read: clicky click.
    I'll try updating this thread as more information is released, but I doubt we'll get any news for a long while yet.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2011-10-01 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Link

I got the first book a few years ago for Christmas but just got around to reading it... now into the 4th book. The books are stellar in my eyes and if well done, I could see movies/games of this series being very cool. Sadly, Jordan isn't with us anymore so things could end up being a little different than what he would maybe do, but he certainly set up a world that could be pixilized.

I will say this though: I have in my mind a very specific idea of what the major characters look like and have found looking at certain fan art is annoying because it's not how I see the characters looking. There is also a very large following to this game, so any missed details would be torn apart.

I'd probably end up playing a Warder. If that was the case and my Aes Sedai friend DC'd, would I know it no matter where I was in the world? ;p

I couldn't get into the books. Was probably around 2 years ago, I wanted to start reading a fantasy series. I had done a little bit of research, and was standing in Borders looking at either Wheel of Time, or A Song of Ice & Fire. I went with WoT, and bought the first book. I got about 3/4 the way though it, but never finished it. Now, of course since the show came out, I read the ASOIF series, and loved it. I might venture back and give WoT a second chance.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Read the WoT series 3 times through. This is amazing news.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Obsidian are making it, I'll have to give it a look. I've been in love with Obsidian games since their Black Isle days, and their work on icewind dale (i know it wasn't as good as bg, but i played ID first, and first love and all that). I'll also need to read the book series, as I've seen it around, but never picked up a copy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windgrace21 View Post
    I'd probably end up playing a Warder. If that was the case and my Aes Sedai friend DC'd, would I know it no matter where I was in the world? ;p
    Wow, I hadn't thought of an MMO given Obsidian's track record. A persistent world might work best for something like the Wheel of Time.

If I get the chance, I'm definitely gonna be an Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah so I can have a small army of hunky Warders at my beck and call. :P

And all the little young gamers would spend all their time on Sea People ships with raging clues...

Sounds amazing. But in lore casters were absolutely overpowered, I wonder how they'll be ingame. And would there be a difference between male and female casters, lorewise they used different magic.
    Life is short Glory is eternal

No no no... when you try to roll a male caster your game would be gentled. Sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    Sounds amazing. But in lore casters were absolutely overpowered, I wonder how they'll be ingame. And would there be a difference between male and female casters, lorewise they used different magic.
    Since the chances are very high that it will be a single player game/series, I dunno if they'd have to do much to balance/prevent breaking lore. Heck, it's just speculation that you'll be able to choose your class at all. If you can, I imagine choosing a Warder would force you into a "tank" role while your Aes Sedai dishes out all of the damage. I'm sure they'd most definitely have different weaves for your gender as a channeler, too.

Really it's all speculation and guesswork at this point. Nothing to go off of. For all we know we'll be forced into the role of the Dragon reborn or even a false Dragon with little to no customization. I wouldn't dislike that, actually.

Note: There is talk of an MMO, too, but the big excitement is for a supposed video game series. We don't even know if it will be a WoT MMO. We don't know anything! >.<
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2011-10-01 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Note

10+ Year Old Account
    There already was an older Wheel of Time game for PC, is this one going to be a similar formula/game play or something new?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    There already was an older Wheel of Time game for PC, is this one going to be a similar formula/game play or something new?
    It's hard to say. All we've got is a statement that they've obtained the rights to make Wheel of Time games. However with the fantasy setting, and looking at previous Obsidian games, I'd say something akin to KOTOR2/Neverwinter Nights 2. All of their games have always been pretty big on dialogue though so we can at least expect something heavy with lore.

That's an incredibly old article: Posted Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am PT

I'd like a WoT game though.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    That's an incredibly old article: Posted Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am PT

I'd like a WoT game though.
    No, it's not new news or anything. It was just really overshadowed by Heavy Rain, Bioshock 2, Dante's Inferno etc. so there was never much talk about it. Aaaaand a year and a half later we've still heard nothing.

I still have to read those books. I do not like Obsidian though, and I do not think they will make a good WoT game. All the games they've made have been glitchy messes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huge fan been reading and re-reading the series since I was 13 (am 28 now)

This is fantastic news. I hope they do it justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redgoon23 View Post
    I still have to read those books. I do not like Obsidian though, and I do not think they will make a good WoT game. All the games they've made have been glitchy messes.
    True, but in this age of patches I'm not too worried. I liked most of the Obsidian games after they were fixed.

This is horrible news for me... After reading the series 3x, this might be a game in which I can actually care about the lore, rather than kill 10 things.... hand it in.... Kill bad dragon... this will eat up soo much of my time..... gah!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines....