Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    GW2 dynamic events, as I understand it, are vastly different from Rifts. In fact there are more differences than similarities that I find it hard to compare. The only thing that is really similar about Dynamic Events and Rifts are the fact that you can do them in groups.

If I understand it correctly GW2 quests = dynamic events. So some people think that the big dragon you fight is the only kind of DE but if I understand it correctly there are large scale DE's and solo DE's. From just reading the webpage everything in the game is a DE. So think of it this way, you don't have quests anymore in GW2 you only have DEs which come in all sizes and chain in different ways and change depending on the environment or what someone may have come by previously and done.

Also DE's change as the player interacts with it or chooses not to interact with it. For example if players choose not to fight the enemy they start taking over the land and building fortifications and sending out assault squads, snipers etc to attack near by towns.

Quote from GW2 webpage about DEs.
    "A single player decision can cascade across a zone, changing the direction of a chain of events until they dramatically alter the content played by players in a map."
    So the list of things a DE shares with Rifts are:
    1) You can do them with a group except in GW2 I don't think you need to form one. Also a level 50 can't power you through as all level 50's would be normalized down to max level of the zone.
    2) You can gain XP off of them and loot/gold I believe.
    3) They both aren't part of the linear quest line... But GW2 doesn't have a linear quest line.
    Last edited by Eggoman; 2011-10-14 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    As for solo-ability in GW2, it looks like it'll be another WoW-Clone in that regard, because it'll all be easy, too easy for those that want a challenge. Or at least, that's what everyone who claims the lack of the trinity is so good seems to think, because now that they can heal, they'll get through the content... But if everyone is super, no one is (heh, Incredibles ftw). In other words, and hopefully more clear... If everyone can heal, that means for the content to be challenging, it takes those extra hit points into account...-Alamar
    I've seen several videos where people got destroyed by a DE. I don't know where you're basing your information on, the fact that GW2 scales with the number of people around is going to require teamwork. Anyone trying to solo something with several people there are going to get destroyed. Even the dragon fights were very difficult. They just had their play testers to log in to help out people at the events so it wouldn't fail. It's too early to speculate on the zone wide events as well but overall Rift has the best currently. That's going to change the second GW2 comes out.

The zone wide Rift invasions are nice but the problem is they don't scale with numbers and it ends up being one giant zergfest of players will trivialize it.

I found Rift's events pretty darn formula-tic. In other words, they all pretty much follow the same pattern. The problem, in my view, is that they didn't really fulfill the ideas promise. Instead the events feel as they tacked on to the game, to add to typical questing and dungeons/raids. Really it should have been the other way around.

However, major invasion events in Rift can take over areas of the map in a dynamic way, as opposed to how 'dynamic' events in GW2 are limited to their tiny little area of the world... : )
    Not true. Dynamic Events and Event Chains in Guild Wars 2 can result in mobs taking over large areas of maps as well. When I played Guild Wars 2 at the Eurogamer Expo, most of Sparkfly Fen was swarming with undead who had wiped out most of the NPC towns and camps in the area and had occupied them because there wasn't enough resistance to fight them.

As for solo-ability in GW2, it looks like it'll be another WoW-Clone in that regard, because it'll all be easy, too easy for those that want a challenge. Or at least, that's what everyone who claims the lack of the trinity is so good seems to think, because now that they can heal, they'll get through the content... But if everyone is super, no one is (heh, Incredibles ftw). In other words, and hopefully more clear... If everyone can heal, that means for the content to be challenging, it takes those extra hit points into account...
    Again, not true. Starting to think you haven't really looked into GW2 much and you've definately never played it.

In WoW, soloing requires no thought at all, you can decimate everything but elite group quests on your own without too much trouble, and against a standard mob of the same level, you could stand there letting it hit you while you casually use your offensive abilities to kill it without even having to look at your health.

If you were to do that in Guild Wars 2, by the end of the fight, you may be alive, barely. Go up against more than one mob like that and you'd be dead. You mentioned healing, yes, everyone gets a healing skill, one skill on a pretty long cooldown and using it does not make combat trivial when solo, it's pretty much required for survival.

I've played 2 hours of Guild Wars 2 in total, some in starter areas and some in high-ish level areas, and I have no doubt in my mind that out of all the MMOs I've played, it's definately the most challenging when it comes to going solo out in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for solo-ability in GW2, it looks like it'll be another WoW-Clone in that regard, because it'll all be easy, too easy for those that want a challenge. Or at least, that's what everyone who claims the lack of the trinity is so good seems to think, because now that they can heal, they'll get through the content... But if everyone is super, no one is (heh, Incredibles ftw). In other words, and hopefully more clear... If everyone can heal, that means for the content to be challenging, it takes those extra hit points into account...
    Yes, everyone can heal but they can't heal in the sense a priest heals in WoW. They also only get one dedicated heal and then maybe a couple abilities that do some minor healing as a side effect. It seems most healing skills in GW2 have quite a cooldown and are only really there if you miss a dodge or something. Nobody is relying on their heals much if at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalazanFan View Post
    Yes, everyone can heal but they can't heal in the sense a priest heals in WoW. They also only get one dedicated heal and then maybe a couple abilities that do some minor healing as a side effect. It seems most healing skills in GW2 have quite a cooldown and are only really there if you miss a dodge or something. Nobody is relying on their heals much if at all.
    I woukd have to agree with you. This just means people have to dodge more, and actually try not to get hit instead of getting hit, and then just healing..its more of a challenge. I debt wait for this game to come out. And I hear.they are announcing the new Profession soon as well.

Well, in the end, it's a statement of opinions, not facts : )

However, major invasion events in Rift can take over areas of the map in a dynamic way, as opposed to how 'dynamic' events in GW2 are limited to their tiny little area of the world... : )
    GW2's DE chains can result in mobs takeing over large stretches of zones if they are frequently failed either to lack of player interaction or just really bad players. Large sections of zones can and will have vastly different types of mobs on a day to day basis depening on the DE's. Rifts are mearly normal spawns or normal spawns plus the invasion spawns nobody's killed yet.

Frankly the dynamic zone Rifts were quite static all told. EAch zone had X number of rift spawn points that could open randomly, normaly 1-4 points would be active at any one time, could be either solo(minor) or small group(major) rifts and would have normaly 2 elemental flavors based on zone. Still each rift followed the same formula, kill X generic badies, then kill mini boss, then kill more badies and a bonus boss. each rift boss or badie if you replaced their graphic with a large cube would be compleatly indistingishable from another they all did basicly the same things. IF a rift was left open it would puke out a small raiding party that would take over a small nearby hub but agian these mobs were no different than anything else from those rifts and were more of a nusance than anything else. The zone wide invasions were literaly activate every rift spawn in the zone at once and start pukeing out raiding partys focused on 3-4 random outposts. IF players defend the targeted outposts from the parties and closed rifts at the same time the boss would spawn for them to kill. Admitedly these bosses were quite different than the normal rift ones but there was still normaly only 1-2 per elemental type per zone. The exact same formula was repeated for every zone, the only way to tell you'd changed zones at all were these rifts puke out brown mobs while the last zone puked out green mobs and the next one will be red mobs. While technicly dynamic in the fact that you dont know what state a zone will be in when you log in, once you've seen the 3-4 tricks a couple times they all look the same till you start doing the "Raid Rifts" that you have to spawn manualy anyway.

As for Rift solo-ability, I was able to solo all minor rift types, and some of the major ones (required more fancy footwork), on multiple characters... Some people hate the way WoW is now, where you can solo 99% of the content while levelling (they want the massive back in MMORPG), and others hate having to find people just to advance their storyline... I'm more the second, but I enjoy group content...

A major rift invasion (zone wide, rifts popping up all over) can't be solo'd, obviously, because there are too many mobs for one/a-few to handle, and if you complete the objectives (wait, what? It's not always just 'kill 50 mobs'), the big bad boss will likely kick your small groups buttocks : )
    The zone wide DE's will not be entierly soloable as well. Individual pieces of them? sure just like how in a rift zone invasion one person may go out and solo 1 of the 20 minor rifts that poped up. That one person wont be able to push the whole zone to the end boss and defeat it any more than 1 person could do the same in rift. Furthermore those larger scale DE's can be comprised of multipul concurent chains of events, all of which must be pushed to the final state at the same time to trigger the final event. one player may be able to push Chain A through events 1-5 where it ends and then move on to Chain B. By the time they've pushed chain B all the way to the end of its 5th event chain A has fallen back down to step 3 because the mobs reinvaided and nobody was there to stop them. It would be like 1 person trying to put out a forest fire, you can stamp out one spot, then the next, and then the next but the fire is just creeping back up behind you agian.

There is just so much wrong with this statement I dont even know where to start. Yes stuff is soloable. Many DE steps can be done by yourself. However calling it a wow clone because of this is like saying wow is too easy because you dont need a full group to compleat a quest that tells you to take an item from NPC 1 to NPC 2 in the next town. There have to be area's of content that can be soloed because otherwise you'd need a group for everything. On the other hand there are also DE's where there needs to be more people around because there are just too many things happening for 1 person to handle. 1 person cant fire the guns, kill the adds, Kill the bone shields, and protect the repair crews all at the same time.

The lack of a trinity is not a declaration of we are all super heroes and content bows before us. Quite the contrary its saying you are responsible for your own survival, nobody else can carry you. Yes you have your own heal and will be expected to use it. However if you play stuipid and dont dodge or otherwise avoid takeing damage it wont be up often enough and you'll die. If you have buddies they might be able to help you back to your feet but they might not be able to get to you if you did something dumb. The major drawback of the trinity modle is that bad players can just coast along being carried by the good players. Who cares if you get hit by that patch of fire for a bit, the healer will take care of it. If you have 1 heal that can help you recover from 1 mistake every 20 seconds and you have an opertunity to make a mistake every 5 seconds guess what, if your bad your dead dispite being able to heal.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Solo-able =/= easy.

Just sayin y'all...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Solo-able =/= easy.

Just sayin y'all...
    Agreed. They're almost synonymous in WoW terms, though. When people think "soloing" they think "leveling/quests" which leads to "grindfest" and thus, "easy".

EDIT: Not saying all quests are a grindfest/easy. Just a general example.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshun View Post
    Agreed. They're almost synonymous in WoW terms, though. When people think "soloing" they think "leveling/quests" which leads to "grindfest" and thus, "easy".

EDIT: Not saying all quests are a grindfest/easy. Just a general example.
    heh in wow if its not taged group[5] or is that final quest in nexus on the legendary staff chain ya its easy. even group 2 quests are soloable by any well played class and group 3s quite a few classes can solo.

Who is John Galt?

Another thing about Rift... let's say a big invasion happens and people fail to defend.

Several footholds will show up and after 5 minutes they will just despawn if innative. That's it.

And if you are sucessful defending? You get some currency rewards and several footholds/rifts will still be around, and after 5 minutes they will just despawn if innative. That's it.

Now, in GW2, if you fail in some invasion you'll lose a town and there will be a new event to retake that town. Or if you defended that invasion you can counter attack and attack the invaders base.

That's considerably different to me.