Homework Help Subforum in Offtopic?

I was wondering if the powers that be could consider implementing a "homework help"/tutoring subforum or perhaps just a sticky in offtopic. We have a very diverse, intelligent, and large group of people on MMO, and I'm sure that there could be a lot of coordination in getting people the help they need correctly, quickly and efficiently.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to bounce around.

Deleted
    I'm afraid that people would just give the answer right away, and then you don't learn anything at all.

Lol, I don't see this working out very well. We'd get an influx of children coming here to answer their math problems.

Deleted
    Kind of defeats the purpose of homework if you have others solve it for you.

Deleted
    Or we'd give them the wrong answer and then enjoy the hatred when they get it marked.

This is what teachers are for.
    not random people on the internet.

I do find it annoying that about 1 in 20 threads that pop up are people asking for help on their homework though, should just be immediate thread close / infraction imo

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    It's not cheating, it's crowdsourcing! /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post

I do find it annoying that about 1 in 20 threads that pop up are people asking for help on their homework though, should just be immediate thread close / infraction imo
    What's even worse is people who straight up give the answer. I'll spend time writing some hints to guide the OP in the right direction, and right after hitting the post button, I see the last 3 people solved it completely for him. /facepalm
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Like everything else in General Off-topic, there wouldn't be enough traffic. Unless you cut Gen OT into multiple sub-forums (kind of like what they did with video games, leaving a general topic forum for topics that didn't fit into a particular category), there would be no point. That is kind of the point of General Off-topic though, anything that wouldn't fit somewhere else goes in there (or Fun Stuff).

Plus, as it is already a controversial topic (allowing the threads in the first place, some are closed on the spot), I don't see adding attention to it being a good idea.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2011-10-03 at 09:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Google my friend its smarter then forums where kids may post

Awsome sig made by :Eis
    Jayne Cobb: You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here.

10+ Year Old Account
    We see maybe 3 of these threads a day, so I don't see the need for a dedicated forum. As Pendulous said, they're technically against the rules, but if they're not happening often enough to be spammy we don't usually lock them. That is, unless someone comes on and says "here's my whole homework, someone do this for me."