Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Question to spriest with legendary staff

Are there any of you out there?
    I have searched forums everywhere to find info about the procs, how it works with dots and so on. If it procs and we get duplicated DP, will it just refresh it? (since we can only have it on one target) or what happens?
    Anyone knows how it works or where I can find information about it?

The proc duplicates a single dot tick, not the whole dot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoth View Post
    The proc duplicates a single dot tick, not the whole dot.
    Ok, so compared to arcane mages damages, they will gain... well... quite much higher dps increase compared to us? copy a swain tick vs an arcane blast?=)
    Then it's just lol for us and the aff locks every time compared to... well, any of the other caster specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Ok, so compared to arcane mages damages, they will gain... well... quite much higher dps increase compared to us? copy a swain tick vs an arcane blast?=)
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, since this is only my understanding of it:

The staff's proc chance is exactly the same for every class. This means that every single DoT tick (Insect Swarm, Moonfire, SW:P, DP, VT, UA, Corruption, Bane of Agony and so on...) has exactly the same chance to proc as any direct spell (Arcane Blast, Starsurge, Mind Blast, Shadow Bolt and so on...). So obviously, since your DoTs are ticking all the time, the staff will proc a lot more often. In some cases, I suppose, it can even be better for DoT classes.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Deleted
    There is no ICD and each tick has a chance to proc it, so no, being an arcane mage is not better.

The part in your dmg meters that come up as wrath of tarecgosa is the amount of dot ticks duplicated. The other procs of mb etc wont show, you will just see a higher count of them.

You are however right that it's not as good for a sp as a arcane mage or specially a boomkin due to the energy duplication, but it's still 5-9% of your dmg done just in dot tick duplication + the 20% on all you're other single target spell, so it's still kick ass

Deleted
    But say a dot class get proc 9 times more, and if its always a dot being copied it's still not close to a single extra arcane blast, no?

It works like this:

For argument's sake, in the time it takes for a mage to cast Arcane Blast once, your DoTs have ticked 5 times. Let's also assume a 20% proc chance for both classes.

Over the course of a fight, the mage casts 100 Arcane Blasts, assuming that's all they do. In the meantime, your DoTs have ticked 5 times for each of his Arcane Blasts, meaning you have 500 DoT ticks.

20% of the mages arcane blasts procced the staff, so he got 20 extra arcane blasts. 20% of your DoT ticks procced the staff, meaning you got 100 extra DoT ticks.

From here, it's a matter of how much the DoT ticks actually do for damage compared to a single arcane blast. If an arcane blast does 20k damage and each DoT tick does 1k damage, then the arcane mage gets an extra 400,000 damage while you got an extra 100,000. If the numbers are similar to this, then yes, the arcane mage gets more benefit.

However, if the arcane mage's blast does 20k damage compared to your DoTs doing 5k damage, then he gets 400,000 extra damage while you get 500,000 extra damage. A clear win for you.

So really, it comes down to numbers. Yes, all of the above numbers are pulled out of my ass, but they prove the point. How many more spells/DoT ticks do you generally see in a fight, compared to how many spells an arcane mage casts? And how much damage on average do these spells and DoT ticks do?

Chances are that you'll see a very similar level of DPS increase between Shadow Priests and Arcane Mages when they use the staff. And even if not, the difference will not be enough that it warrants always giving Dragonwraths to Mages over Priests. The best player in your guild will see the most benefit out of the staff in almost every situation, no matter what class they play (out of the ones able to use Dragonwrath, obviously).

And remember that not only dots and arcane blasts are copied. The proc can also copy that 100k MB or a tick from arcane missiles. In theory all specs benefit from the staff equally.
    Last edited by Xorz; 2011-10-03 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    yea but a normal arcane blast usually at least 40k and our dot might do 5k at best, so obviously the math will always favor arcane mages. And then we can start talking about stacked arcane blasts compared to our highest dots =)
    If they actually copied entire dot, then numbers could be comparable. Right now, if it's only a dot tick I cant see why you would ever give staff to equally geared spriest, but feel free to keep proving me wrong since I could have use of the arguments if Im going to be next in line for staff and not other mage :P

---------- Post added 2011-10-03 at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xorz View Post
    And remember that not only dots and arcane blasts are copied. The proc can also copy that 100k MB blast or a tick from arcane missiles. In theory all specs benefit from the staff equally.
    Overall, checking at math spriest will need to rely on hell of a lot of procs to even be comparable in numbers, and that is if someone with staff know how often it procs on avarage compared to an arcane mage?

no icd means that a spriest gets the same increase as an arcanemage:
    an arcanemage who pulls 30k without staff will pull 33k with it (proccchance ist around 10% just assumed flat 10% here)
    an spriest who pulls 30k without staff will also pull 33k with it
    absolute bullshit that dotclasses have an disadvantage here

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Over the course of a fight, the mage casts 100 Arcane Blasts, assuming that's all they do. In the meantime, your DoTs have ticked 5 times for each of his Arcane Blasts, meaning you have 500 DoT ticks.
    20% of the mages arcane blasts procced the staff, so he got 20 extra arcane blasts. 20% of your DoT ticks procced the staff, meaning you got 100 extra DoT ticks.
    From here, it's a matter of how much the DoT ticks actually do for damage compared to a single arcane blast. If an arcane blast does 20k damage and each DoT tick does 1k damage, then the arcane mage gets an extra 400,000 damage while you got an extra 100,000. If the numbers are similar to this, then yes, the arcane mage gets more benefit.
    However, if the arcane mage's blast does 20k damage compared to your DoTs doing 5k damage, then he gets 400,000 extra damage while you get 500,000 extra damage. A clear win for you.
    In those cases (without staff) ABs have done 2 million damage and the dots have done either 500k or 2.5 million.
    In the end, the staff works better for somebody who can dish out bigger DPS overall, regardless of class.

Witht he staff the top 3 dps specs are:
    Balance
    Shadow
    Affliction

Hmm, what does these specs have in common?
    Oh right, dots..

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Take what I say with a grain of salt, since this is only my understanding of it:

The staff's proc chance is exactly the same for every class. This means that every single DoT tick (Insect Swarm, Moonfire, SW:P, DP, VT, UA, Corruption, Bane of Agony and so on...) has exactly the same chance to proc as any direct spell (Arcane Blast, Starsurge, Mind Blast, Shadow Bolt and so on...). So obviously, since your DoTs are ticking all the time, the staff will proc a lot more often. In some cases, I suppose, it can even be better for DoT classes.
    Very true.
    In the end what you get as a massive dotter is:
    1. Mount
    2. Staff with very good stats and sockets
    3. More dps because of copied dots (which in turn can proc other stuff aswell, so more dps overall)

Basicly it's very good for dotters
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

I'm currently getting all the orbs sent to me and I should be done them in 2 weeks to start on the next stage. I'm in a 10 man guild and I'm the most reliable top dmging dps in a group of all real life friends + I'm a shadow priest on a gimp ass server.

I don't think I'm ever going to get this staff. Maybe sometime during 4.3? I don't know. I'll likely get the part 1 piece though soon. I'm hoping I get something at least before star wars comes out and everyone I know goes there. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Also have to remember that glorious SPriest speciality of multidotting. Every tick of every DoT running around has a chance, so you could be proccing more than one at the same time. Oh and can you imagine the insanity of procs on flying Alysrazor SPriests?

Head on over to ShadowPriest.com too. There's a few posters there with the legendary. They might be able to help you out with actual facts and figures.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoroth View Post
    Witht he staff the top 3 dps specs are:
    Balance
    Shadow
    Affliction

Hmm, what does these specs have in common?
    Oh right, dots..
    Proof please ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcinder View Post
    Proof please ?
    I'd like to see some as well =)

You give the staff to the person most likely to stick with your guild and work hard for it. OP DPS doesn't help your guild any if they take it and leave. Or if their attendance is meh, or their attitude demoralizes guild...people need to get over the individual DPS epeen stroking and remember a raid is a group effort and you cannot solo current content! Just Sayin...

The averages are:
    Affliction: 0.78% DPS increase per 1% proc rate.
    Demonology: 0.69% DPS increase per 1% proc rate.
    Destruction: 0.76% DPS increase per 1% proc rate.

For those of you who don't like percentages, this works out to an average of:
    Affliction: 248 DPS increase per 1% proc rate.
    Demonology: 206 DPS increase per 1% proc rate.
    Destruction: 243 DPS increase per 1% proc rate.

- From another post. And affliction does have the most dots of those 3 specs. So I'd say dots are fine if not better if this means anything.