Thread: Cable Cords

Cable Cords

Not exactly sure where this goes. I need to know what stores sell the thick cable cords you plug into cable modems. How much do they generally cost, and what length do they come in? I need a couple long ones.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

If you are talking about a coaxial cable, contact your cable provider - mine gives them away for free.

They don't do it at the local headquarters though, they have a technician come out with their spool and cut / crimp the cable for you to the length you need. They do this because it's their responsibility (or at least they feel it is) to get the signal to your modem. Once the signal is to your modem, the rest is up to the customer.

Otherwise, it's a pretty common cable standard. Most computer / electronics / hardware / television stores would carry them, although the markup might be high, and they probably come pre-packaged. Hardware stores might be able to cut the length you need .. I've dealt with a company called "Black Box" (mail order) before for custom cables.

Try your cable provider first.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    It really depends on which "thick" cable you are talking about.

This could be interpreted as coaxial (as the poster above me mentions) or it could be ethernet.

OP, which part are you talking about? From the wall to your modem? From your modem to your computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Karteli is right, try your provider first. If for some odd reason you do need to buy it, you can't beat monoprice for cables.

www.monoprice.com

I interpreted it to mean coaxial, but fair enough.

Here is a coaxial cable (wall to modem):

This is an ethernet cable (modem to router/computer):

Note the plug ends especially. An ethernet cable is typical from any computer / electronics store .. many store chains, depends where you live.

I'm talking about a coaxial cable I didnt know what it was called. lol. I have tried my cable company but they only give short cables.

Bitlovin, thanks for that link. I'll probably buy from there since I dont have a car so getting to the stores for it is quite a task. lol

I also need those, dont know what its called either, it can screw into the wall and secure the cord to the wall.
    Last edited by Pandragon; 2011-10-03 at 04:20 PM.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomirizer View Post
    I'm talking about a coaxial cable I didnt know what it was called. lol. I have tried my cable company but they only give short cables.

Bitlovin, thanks for that link. I'll probably buy from there since I dont have a car so getting to the stores for it is quite a task. lol

I also need those, dont know what its called either, it can screw into the wall and secure the cord to the wall.
    Honestly if you need long cables go to Home Depot or a similar store and buy the "contractor's pack" (it's usually 100-1000ft) and then buy all the necessary wall jacks and cable connections for it. You can rewire cable to every room in your house if you wanted.

Deleted
    shielded coaxil cable (same as used for satellite dishes to the receiver) - you can buy it buy the foot/meter & the FF connectors or only a few pennies.