Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How many floppies did it take ...

This is for people who were born in the eighties, nostalgia thread incoming:

Doom 2 : 4 floppies
    Duke Nukem 3D : 13 floppies

All I remember for now, maybe more stuff comes back, how about you?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is cd, but i remember Baldurs Gate having like 8 cds that you had to switch all the time

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raziers View Post
    This is cd, but i remember Baldurs Gate having like 8 cds that you had to switch all the time
    5. There existed a DVD version though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7

4343 floppies?

jazz jackrabbit 2 was 14 if I remember correctly. it was a pain in the ass, since i made them myself to copy from one computer to another, and everytime the 10.-15. floppy was corrupt and i had to do the copy process all over. took the whole day ^_^

I remember warcraft 2 had like 200ish floppies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, I'm too old. I remember sitting and waiting like 20 minutes to load a game from a cassete on an old Commodore (?) computer at my cousin's

As for disks, no idea, I remember vaguely that Police quest god-knows-which took like 9 or something

Hah I never had games on floppies. Got the stuff on CD from friends. 1 CD had like 80 games or more.

I remember downloading Slackware and needing to find something insane like 145 floppies that didn't have any bad sectors. That was a bloody pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx View Post
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

http://darisdroppings.wordpress.com

15+ Year Old Account
    Wolfenstein 3d was 4 floppies i believe
    <Stasis>, Ravencrest EU

Deleted
    original super mario was 1 floppy

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember installing Windows 95 off of floppies and I think it took like 28 or so. I was a TA for a drafting class in HS and had to install it on all 20 of the computers. It was like an assembly line of floppies moving disks from one pc to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Ha, I'm too old. I remember sitting and waiting like 20 minutes to load a game from a cassete on an old Commodore (?) computer at my cousin's

As for disks, no idea, I remember vaguely that Police quest god-knows-which took like 9 or something
    Hehe, I remember cassettes.
    Blizzard is a conglomerate that through lower sub numbers has raised revenue. They're not stupid, they're just not catering to you.
    Yes yes, I know, the sky just bonked you on the head, casuals are taking over the government, and some baddie just got a raid drop... I think you'll live.

Quote Originally Posted by Reucht View Post
    This is for people who were born in the eighties, nostalgia thread incoming:

Doom 2 : 4 floppies
    Duke Nukem 3D : 13 floppies

All I remember for now, maybe more stuff comes back, how about you?
    You sure about Doom 2? I remember it being a whole stack of them! (1.44s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Windows 7

4343 floppies?
    A bit less but still a lot.

Roughly 1750 Floppy disks would be needed :P

Windows 7 ISO is around 2.5Gb (2500Mb)

A floppy disk can hold 1.44Mb

Giving 1 floppy disk could take several minutes to install. Lets just say 5 Minutes.

1750*5Minutes = 8750Mins
    8750/60 = 146 Hours Roughly
    146/24 = 6Days of non stop floppy disk swapping to install windows 7 xD
    Last edited by Synithin; 2011-10-03 at 04:35 PM.
    Synit 110 - Orc Elemental Shaman [Active]

Quote Originally Posted by omglazor View Post
    You sure about Doom 2? I remember it being a whole stack of them! (1.44s)
    Shareware vs Full Version?

Imagine just having a Notebook, thats right a notebook.

People coding and not able to afford the $1000 USD for a HDD, which at those times were ridiculous, like 256KB or something. So while they were coding, writing it all down, so when they went to continue the next time, they had to type it all out again...
    "I heard Shadowmourne procs naked ladies..."
    The rapture took my paladin - May 21, 2011
    In a recent online survey, 100% of the population uses the internet.

Most games I remember only took like 1-2 floppies, but they were nothing major. Stuff like Oregon Trail, Nigel's World, and Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? I didn't have a computer in my house until I was in 8th grade so all of my experiences with floppies came from elementary school and later saving documents to 3.5 inch floppies. When I got my first home computer most stuff was starting to be moved exclusively by CD's.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah 4 floppies doesn't sound right for Doom2. I'm pretty sure it was bigger than that, I'm thinking 7 or 8.

Those were the days... arj'ing stuff down on the floppies to move things. Or you could copy things directly between computers through a serial link using special programs, except it was usually slower than doing it with floppies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Advantage was, that it was a very easy thing to get a copy from friends games. No messing around with crazy DRMish copy protections. You just needed a cassette Player with 2 decks and an emtpy cassette ;-)