Thread: Borrowed Time

Deleted

Borrowed Time

"Grants 14% spell haste for your next spell after casting Power Word: Shield. Lasts for 6 seconds."

So I've been thinking about this talent...
    In WotLK no question - this talent was great. But in Cataclysm I never even noticed it.
    How much is 14%? It's reducing my Greater Heal from 2.35 seconds to 2.06. And I don't really think that's worth 2 points.

I just wonder why everyone seems to skill this talent. I have as well but I'm thinking of changing to this build:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...kdheVaYebd!bQh!

Surge of Light seems a MUCH better choice to me, especially since Smite can proc it as well. But I'm kind of unsure about that since I never used Surge of Light as a disc before.

What's your opinion on burrowed time? In theory the talent sounds great but in reality the usefulness of this talent for me personally is somewhere at 0.

Shield-> hasted penance and hasted GH is awesome. SoL isn't that great, because well... it's random.

15+ Year Old Account
    Spec into Surge of Light and you will find it pretty lackluster - it procs so rarely that you forget you were even specced into it. Meanwhile Borrowed Time is up every few casts.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

PW:S has much lower throughput than PoH typically, making it a fairly weak spot heal. That is, you have to give up throughput to cast PW:S.

Borrowed Time, however, gives you some amount of throughput back on your next spellcast.

Blizzard chose 14% for borrowed time very carefully. As a result, chaining PoH immediately after PW:S makes the PW:S-PoH chain higher throughput than PoH on its own.

PW:S is only a strong spot heal (can be used as part of a max AoE spike, like Riptide) if you take Borrowed Time.

Deleted
    This is exactly what my problem is with that talent.
    You speak of it as if the haste was 50% or something but it's only a tiny bit faster if I use it.
    I don't really think SoL is better by any means but I also think Borrowed Time is not worth skilling. I'd say with about 25% I'd reconsider but 14% doesn't give me much of a boost.
    Am I really the only one who doesn't even notice when this talent's missing?

Borrowed Time is very much worth the points. That small window of time can be the difference between saving someones ass, or death. Surge of light is also weak in that it procs randomly, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SkillOverKill View Post
    Spec into Surge of Light and you will find it pretty lackluster - it procs so rarely that you forget you were even specced into it. Meanwhile Borrowed Time is up every few casts.
    Surge of Light is undervalued in the priest community. I use it in my disc build, and love it. Yes, it isn't something you can count on, but it is a mana saver, and it does proc more than you might think.

That being said, I do think that you should use the tools that work for you. If you don't like it, don't take it. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    I just wonder why everyone seems to skill this talent. I have as well but I'm thinking of changing to this build:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/tool/tal...kdheVaYebd!bQh!

Surge of Light seems a MUCH better choice to me, especially since Smite can proc it as well. But I'm kind of unsure about that since I never used Surge of Light as a disc before.

What's your opinion on burrowed time? In theory the talent sounds great but in reality the usefulness of this talent for me personally is somewhere at 0.
    I would say try it and see how you like it, and whether it works for you. Personally, I wouldn't get rid of Borrowed Time, but that is just me.

I like to think of talents like BT as "bonus points" for when I cast a spell. I'm not going to cast PW:S because I have BT, but that 14% haste is well worth the talent points when I do. As mentioned, PW:S->Penance->GH/FH is some crazy single target burst, and if I'm raid healing, I'm going to be dropping PW:S at least every 12sec, which means if I'm doing nothing but casting PW:S & PoH [which I don't recommend], every 5th-ish PoH is 14% faster.

If I use PW:S more than every 12sec as a "catch" on a low health raider, I'll more than likely follow it up w/ a Penance for good measure & PoH, both of which will be BTd.

In pretty much every instance I would normally use PW:S, I'm going to really enjoy that 14% haste.

SoL in lieu of BT, IMO, isn't your best choice for talent allocation for most standard healing models. The only time I could see SoL>BT is if you're doing nothing but Atonement healing, which outside of 5mans, isn't really a good option.