Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    What they really should do it let you choose what you dig instead of making it random. The random loot is good, just allow us to pick and choose what race we wish to grind out.

1. They already buffed the drop rate of artifacts from each dig. Originally you could only have a max of 3 artifacts per survey, which meant a max of 9 per site - instead of the 3-6 max of 12 per site.
    2. They SIGNIFICANTLY buffed the ammount of gold you get from the vendor trash, I remember when Tol'vir artifacts used to sell for 10g, now the cat statue is 100 each.
    3. They significantly buffed the ammount of dig sites per zone with the other two buffs.
    4. Archaeology isn't "Broken" people are just lazy and want more and more things in this game handed to them.

I've completed everything except for the 2 level 85 staves, 2 swords and doll trinket. I think archaeology continues to be fun if you think of it like solitaire rather than something that carries a reward. Most of my displeasure with archaeology came from the frustration over not getting the 2-handed sword for my warrior. Now that better weapons are available, I could gain enjoy it as a source of pets, gizmos and a cool mount. However, I don't know how long I'll continue to chip away at the level 85 gear.

I just wish it made sense... collecting artifact pieces from EK then finding pieces that belong to the same artifact in Felwood? Honestly this is my biggest gripe, lol. The ability to sometimes dig up a treasure chest, independent from the artifact pieces, would be a nice addition. Treasure maps that just show a rough drawing of a general area where something is would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    To improve arch they should remove it from the game, give a feat of strength and pretend it was all a terrible dream.
    Immediately thought of Shen'dralar. Lulul.
    'Pristine Black Diamonds? What were they for again..'

I don't work on my arch for one simple reason. Blizzard has a nasty tendency to nerf things. When I look at arch, and how it requires a lot of time invested to build up to max skill and collect all the artifacts, my FIRST thought is "Don't waste your time....they will nerf this profession into the ground and if I just wait, I'll be able to get all the artifacts in a couple of days once the nerfs go in".

I actually attempted to go for the insane title once. I spent all this time and money collecting PBDs. And then Blizz nerfs the title before I'm done and all those PBDs are suddently worthless.

Never again will I make that mistake. Never, ever again. That was a very painful, expensive lesson and I will absolutely NOT pour my time into something like arch.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Rares should remain relatively rare, but have some sort of sense of progress.
    The current system particularly for the 85 epics is just too random.
    It should be a steadily ramping up chance of getting them as you complete artifacts instead of being a fixed low number.
    This is the best archaeology idea ever suggested. People would still whine of course (cause that's what people do) but this would fix it for everyone who really invests time into the profession, rewarding them where the RNG would not. If you can convince blizzard to do this, you will have my eternal gratitude.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

Deleted
    I think the major mistake (or at least one of them) was putting level cap weapons in it. When Cataclysm came out I literally spent weeks looking for that dwarf staff. When I won the BoE staff from Bot I gladly hung up my Archaeology hat. A couple of months ago, when the weapons were outdated, I decided to go for my Professor title when I had some down time and it wasn't half as bad. If all the rewards from Archaeology were just novelty items I think player's frustations would go down. And I never did find that dwarf staff.

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    Welcome to RNG, he is a bitch. Interesting number because I just got my 4th rare (the mount) after completing 258 solves
    Trust me I know the ass-hat that is RNG all too well. 130 mounts, 138 companion pets. I'm not a bitter person when it comes to Archaeology or really anything in this game; my only issue is with people like the OP who think just because he was extremely lucky I should have to suffer.

Proud owner of the Black and Plagued Proto-Drakes and still feel Blizzard should re-implement them for those who missed their chance.

P.S. Congrats on your bug!

Deleted
    I agree with the OP mostly, wielding the profesor titel myself and still looking for zin'rokh, tyrandes doll, drone crystal, any staff (dwarves, tol'vir) or the zombie hand pet. For me I like the fun items, like dancing dwarves, transformation and random teleporter. But I would like the transformations to be longer in duration and also usable in combat with casting etc. and adding more fun stuff to the game whilst removing the utter bullshit rares like that "special hearthstone" and worst of all that draenei thing with its glorious hologramm of the naaru ariving, I swear I never was more disappointed.

And also I would like to reduce the amount of tolvir fragments necessary for solves, I really hated to collect like 150(?) for that wonderful beetle parade...

It also would be nice to include the main professions more than just alchemy, maybe If you find some ancient Ingi Plans, or reproduce clothing when completing pictures or statues which show these clothes. Not something useful but cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Secondary professions should not be based on fucking luck. NO profession should.
    I was a pretty dedicated Archaeologist [I pretty much levelled to 84 with nothing but; fun times doing Twilight Highlands quests in lv81 quest greens), right up until, after discovering all the Night Elf items, that still made up a good 85% of my digsites.

All I wanted from this fucking profession was that goddamn bug mount and it's not even RED, how's that for Alliance bias eh?
    But fuck it. Most of my digsites are useless Nelf crap, the Tol'vir ones I do get resolve only in sandcastles and mozaics.
    These are pretty much my thoughts as well. Although, my biggest gripes are:
    1. You have no control. You can't "choose" which projects to do. You have to do whatever digsites you get.
    2. Building on 1, I don't want to dig up Dire Maul for even more useless fucking Nelf panties. I -want- to dig up half of Uldum but I can't because this halfarsed profession works on the principle of RNG and not, like other professions, "hard work".
    3. The big digsites giving only three digs (as mentioned in OP) is just dumb.

I'd like to see:
    1. Being able to dig where you want. If I am to spend sixty hours of eyebleedingly dull digging I bloody well want to be able to choose where to dig. Make it so that you can "spec" for a Race or something similar. Even with the "You have all rares, less chance of that race spawning" thing they put in, over 70% of my digs in Kalimdor are Nelf.
    2. Take away 50% of the Nelf sites (I have no real reason here, I just hate the Nelf sites).
    3. Make the rares useable. The only rare I actively use is the Dwarf heartstone and that is purely for it's different icon. The others have way too big CDs/last fuckall seconds to be worth it. Sure the Last Relic is fun but getting it once a day is just silly, especially since you can't control where you end up.
    Me sorry. Not do bad again, honest. :<

Deleted
    I dont feel like archaeology feels like a profession at all. They could just as well have them as a daily quest from explorers league with a RNG for the battle tank just like with the egg.

Make it more enjoyable, that's all I want, got every achievement for it and then was like "LOL NOPE."

If number 1 on the list isn't free blowjobs then I'm not interested.
    In all the time I spent on the stupid pointless waste of time (ie the whole of 4.0), the only thing I got that I actually wanted was the title "Professor". Haven't looked at it since.