Deleted

Pc submerged in oil rig o.0

What the heeeeeeeell!!! Lol, looks awesome.

Kits/materials sold here -> http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Also all the information you might want.

edit:

Update posted on May 5th, 2011
    Additional Cooling Development Halted

We tried a number of different extreme cooling techniquies, including dry ice, phase change cooling, aquarium chillers, and liquid cooling blocks with TEC coolers. Ultimately, the snag was always the same: The thermal conductivity of oil is not as good as that of water, so all products designed to cool water do not have the sheer surface area necessary to cool the oil.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-10-04 at 01:16 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    At least you don't have to worry about dust in your pc when you use this system. I'm curious about the tempratures you get with this kind of cooling setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol @ people suggesting putting fish in it. What part of OIL and FISH don't they get?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    This actually isn't exactly new... And it always kinda turned me on, I'd like to toy with it for some time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heratix View Post
    At least you don't have to worry about dust in your pc when you use this system. I'm curious about the tempratures you get with this kind of cooling setup.
    Apparently its not that much better because once the liquid warms up its hard to get rid of the heat from the liquid so the heat builds up until it reaches its running temp. With air the heat can go anywhere and leaves the case immediately, but it doesn't do this as well with this stuff.

Just what I have read, don't know first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Lol @ people suggesting putting fish in it. What part of OIL and FISH don't they get?
    Maybe they think dead fish in that pc would be a good look.

It looks like water, it must be water!

Deleted
    I wouldn't say it looks awesome, quit the opposite actually :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Original video showing how it all works and building it:

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Apparently its not that much better because once the liquid warms up its hard to get rid of the heat from the liquid so the heat builds up until it reaches its running temp. With air the heat can go anywhere and leaves the case immediately, but it doesn't do this as well with this stuff.

Just what I have read, don't know first hand.
    Pretty much this ^
    Unless the oil leaves the system, goes through a cooling loop and is introduced back into the system...keeping it all circulating in a single tank like that won't help at all.

One thing that CAN work however is the age-old myth of refrigerating the entire system. While with air you would run into severe condensation problems, with oil it'll be impossible since moisture won't be able to work it's way into the case - so put the entire system in a freezer and run it from there, the oil will remain liquid even in sub-zero temps. Ta-da! A completely chilled and maintenence-free system that eats your power bill.

On the topic of radiators to cool the oil (quoted from the page linked in the second post in the thread):

The results were very good! Within 8 hours, the temperature dropped to a new maximum of 45C, and it has held that temperature for about two weeks now. If we wanted to get even better cooling, we could hook up some fans to the radiator, but 45C is an excellent temperature as it is, and we prefer the quiet operation with no fans.
    I guess you could put plastic fish in the tank.

Plastics can get very brittle at sub-zero (-18°C in a freezer) temperatures, you might need to watch out for that.

It's also an immense pain in the ass when removing a part, since they're swimming in oil.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly "swimming" since everything is fixed, you can drain the tank in a minute, remove the part, fill it up again with what you drained.
    Or you could make sure your hands are really clean (or wear gloves) and just dip your hands in to remove the part.

Deleted
    I saw someone that did this and had a Bioshock theme inside the liquid tank it looked awesome even had a big daddy in it lets see if i can find it..
    Ah found one of them atleast:

There was a better one but i cant seem to find it.

This site also makes pre-built oil submerged comps.
    New and shiny compppppp!

put the entire system in a freezer and run it from there, the oil will remain liquid even in sub-zero temps. Ta-da! A completely chilled and maintenence-free system that eats your power bill.
    That sounds AWESOME.