24 VS 27 inch monitor screen.

what do you prefer to monitor screen size? 24 or 27?

I am going to use it mostly for PS3 HD picture but i might use it for future PC screen.

Its either:

Philips 27" LED 273E3LHSB wich is less power consumer but little more expansive
    link: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=647220#extra (Norwegian language)

or BenQ 24" LCD G2420HD that is smaller but cheaper but more power consumer.
    link: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=477710#extra (Norwegian language)

both have 2MS.
    I am not concerned with the price

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do yourself a favor and buy a 120hz screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently I've bought 24' iiyama with LED display, and it works like a charm for me. It's just too good, too sharp, too... colourful.

27's on the other hand, are a lil' too big for me (mainly because i do have a small desk), but it's always a good choice.

Also, don't worry about the power drain. LED's will drain less power, and u'll get better display overall, but CRT's are as good. Power-drain differences are very small.

I prefer 2 X 22-24 inch personally, but if just getting one monitor I would go with the 27 inch.
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

From an economical standpoint there is no reason to buy 27" as it has same resolution as 24", however it is slightly bigger and will provide more "whoa" effect. I am using 27" both for consoles and PC, and i really like it more than 24. Also if you are not playing PS3 while sitting in the chair at short distance, 27" will be a better choice too.
    Last edited by anb; 2011-10-04 at 02:18 PM.

Alternative one:
    FullHD, TN-panel. Two things you do not want on a monitor at >24". The distortion will be visible even sitting straight in front of it, and it will be very pixelly on the low resolution.

Alternative two:
    A similiar screen to the one I've had (I had G2420HDB). Not too shabby for a TN, but not the prettiest there is.

Rather "meh" question if you ask me, as there will be no difference, them being the same resolution. Most likely a bit uglier on the 27".

If you are going to use it primarily for the PS3, like you suggest, get the 27" one, and ignore advice such as 120Hz and such.
    If you are interested at all in a good screen for your computer, This one for 1699NOK or This one if you want a really, really good viewing experience.

why is 120 hz so important? i do not tend to play FPS games, my future games are skyrim, mabye rage, SSX deadly deascent, GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    27 inches! Go!

I went from 19>22>23>27 and I love my 27. I use my 23 inch Acer as my PS3 monitor/Browser while gaming monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really all depends on how far away from the screen you are when using it.

24 could be too big, 27 could be too small.

10+ Year Old Account
    I vote 27". Myself I went from a 19>21>32", I love playing on a big monitor. It helps to see so much more of what's going on
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

The "distortion" arguments against > 24" are weird. 50" - 65" TVs are still at 1920x1080. Do you hear THEM complaining? It's only question of seating distance and head angle.

I've had a 27" monitor for SEVEN YEARS. Despite its age, it still rocks. The only drawback is it's dim for the first three minutes after you turn it on. No regrets!
    Me: Where are you?
    Them: In front of AH
    Me: Orgrimmar has five AHs
    Them: ??
    Me: Sigh. Are you in Valley of Lag?

Quote Originally Posted by anb View Post
    From an economical standpoint there is no reason to buy 27" as it has same resolution as 24", however it is slightly bigger and will provide more "whoa" effect. I am using 27" both for consoles and PC, and i really like it more than 24. Also if you are not playing PS3 while sitting in the chair at short distance, 27" will be a better choice too.
    You can get 27" with 2560 x 1440 resolution, however more expensive.

I own a Dell UltraSharp 24" and also a Dell UltraSharp 27". Both are 1920x1200. Tried the 27" for gaming, didn't like it, ended up using the 24". No real reason to use a bigger monitor when the resolution is the same. Just results in more unnecessary eye movement.

Both of the monitors you linked are 1920x1080, so the same logic would probably apply.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I sit fairly close to my 24" and I feel like anything larger is too much to look at while playing. 24" for a PS3 style gaming would more then likely be too small I've got a sep. 52" for my ps3. I've connected my computer to the new television however while during arena it was too much to handle 3's/5's. I would say if you are within 1-2 ft the 24" would be great and you won't need anything larger but it's all personal opinion.

hmm mabye il go for 24 inch, i just hope i dont get problems seeing the text on PS3 when am playing. ive been playing on some old Non hd screen and i cant see a thing of what it says on the text. (Assasin creed 1, and brotherhood and GTA IV) anything notice this at 24 with smashed text?

Quote Originally Posted by psychedelica View Post
    hmm mabye il go for 24 inch, i just hope i dont get problems seeing the text on PS3 when am playing. ive been playing on some old Non hd screen and i cant see a thing of what it says on the text. (Assasin creed 1, and brotherhood and GTA IV) anything notice this at 24 with smashed text?
    A 24" isn't precisely a small display either. It all depends on how close you are to it.
    Bigger display = sit further back.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    A 24" isn't precisely a small display either. It all depends on how close you are to it.
    Bigger display = sit further back.
    That's pretty much the sum of it.

24" is about as large as you want to get for regular Desktop usage. Beyond that, screens get a little too big, especially if you're sitting closer than a meter.

27" really shines once you're sitting a little further away. To appreciate the size you'll want to sit back at least 1m from the screen.

Generally speaking however, bigger is always better and if money isn't an issue and you watch the occasional movie on your PC, then go with the 27".

Personal taste really, 24 is imo as big as you need, only reason for a bigger one would be because you're screen is further away then it should be.

So I'd put the money in a good 24 rather then a decent 27, hell had a friend buying a 26" and he started playing in windowed mode on games cause it was too big.