10+ Year Old Account

I'm buying my mom a new wireless router.

I got so sick of my parent's wireless router, being the source of our networking woes. So I decided to buy them a new router; however, I don't know enough to make an educated decision. We have a premium broadband business class internet access from comcast, so our ISP can handle our Internet usage, it's the router that's the problem.

My mom runs a modest Internet business from her home, and she needs wifi to connect her PC, laptop, IPad and other devices to the internet. She is the biggest Internet user in the house behind me.

I stream movies and play a lot of online games. I have to use wireless to connect to the internet because there isn't way to have a wired connection.

the rest of the family has four video streaming devices, two video game consoles, and a computer of some kind (6 all together). So traffic is kind of heavy for a home this size and I assume whats killing the current router.

Also, I need to mention, that the router needs to be able to send a signal through 3 floors from the basement (I know it's not Ideal but it's the only place we can put it right now.)

can anyone suggest a solid router?
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124388 is what I use and have no problem.

I connect using iPad, phone, laptop and wire two computers into it.
    ..........gtfo for now

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend these two routers. They're both simultaneous dual-band, meaning they emit 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz frequency networks at the same time. It's essentially having two wireless routers in one. If your wireless adapter supports 5.0 Ghz, you can run on that often less cluttered frequency. From the sounds of your home wireless situation, you might wanna look into the E4200 as well.

Linksys E2500 - E2500

Linksys E3200 - E3200

As for the differences between the two, you can also compare Linksys routers here (I don't have much experience with non-Linksys routers, so I like to stick with what I know):

Linksys Wireless Router Comparison Chart

Also, the prices on the Linksys site are often higher than what you'll pay at Newegg or Best Buy, so don't be too frightened by the numbers.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-10-04 at 05:20 PM.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/d...el=TL-WR1043ND is pretty cheap in Europe, should be aswell in USA, and it´s faaast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ink%20WR1043ND
    54$!
    Last edited by Evilution; 2011-10-04 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added newegg link!

10+ Year Old Account
    what is the benefit of having a duel band router over ones that don't? Does it really make it handle all that traffic better?
    I'm just a fan of a brand new wiki: pcgamingwiki.com
    A one stop place to help you get your favorite PCGames not only running on your machine, fix issues you might have, find the latest patches from the developers or fans, and more.
    It's a brand new site, so help out by contributing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by burkhartt View Post
    is also dual BB FYI.
    ..........gtfo for now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    what is the benefit of having a duel band router over ones that don't? Does it really make it handle all that traffic better?
    Yes, but only if a device's wireless-n adapter supports 5.0Ghz (not all do).

Look at it this way. Instead of having 6 devices on a single 2.4Ghz network (band), you can have 3 on the 2.4Ghz network and 3 on the 5.0Ghz network.

Also, dual-band isn't mainly what you should be looking for in a router. If you don't have any devices capable of using the 5.0 frequency, it's rather pointless. Is it a plus? Of course. And yes, most good modern routers will be dual-band, but there are other qualities you should be looking for.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-10-04 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I stand in fire View Post
    I got so sick of my parent's wireless router, being the source of our networking woes. So I decided to buy them a new router; however, I don't know enough to make an educated decision. We have a premium broadband business class internet access from comcast, so our ISP can handle our Internet usage, it's the router that's the problem.

My mom runs a modest Internet business from her home, and she needs wifi to connect her PC, laptop, IPad and other devices to the internet. She is the biggest Internet user in the house behind me.

I stream movies and play a lot of online games. I have to use wireless to connect to the internet because there isn't way to have a wired connection.

the rest of the family has four video streaming devices, two video game consoles, and a computer of some kind (6 all together). So traffic is kind of heavy for a home this size and I assume whats killing the current router.

Also, I need to mention, that the router needs to be able to send a signal through 3 floors from the basement (I know it's not Ideal but it's the only place we can put it right now.)

can anyone suggest a solid router?
    I had a TON of success with the apple airport extreme.