Deleted

Companions, how do they work?

Sorry if this is concealed by the NDA, but has there been any information on the functionality of companions? How good is their AI, is it programmable like in Dragon Age? Or are they as smart as the aforementioned hunter pet? I've read the big thread saying they will have action bars, including a Kit action etc.

Is content balanced around players using companions, is it significantly harder if you prefer to play w/o. I hope to find a companion that I like playing with, but in previous MMOs I've found them to be annoying at times when they go off doing stupid things. Sometimes you just want to dismiss the pet so you can kite/stealth without their interference.

Is there any publicly available information on how they work?

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the thread on top, got all the companion info thats out there(without breaking the NDA)

Deleted
    Yes, I saw the sections (ctrl+f = 79 results) on companions but there was no information there about the difficulty of the game should you choose not to use a companion (from time to time) if you were playing a stealth class or something. I'm not totally against using companions, but was wondering what would happen if you wanted to play w/o one. Would the game be too hard?

It says you can preset what abilities they use, or use them manually, but is there any publicly available info on how you preset them? Can you program conditions (<50% health use X, <75% health use Y) or will they use abilities smartly?

I suspect this information is not available yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you not use one if you were stealthing? It's not like they're just walking around unstealthed or something. :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Yes, I saw the sections (ctrl+f = 79 results) on companions but there was no information there about the difficulty of the game should you choose not to use a companion (from time to time) if you were playing a stealth class or something. I'm not totally against using companions, but was wondering what would happen if you wanted to play w/o one. Would the game be too hard?

It says you can preset what abilities they use, or use them manually, but is there any publicly available info on how you preset them? Can you program conditions (<50% health use X, <75% health use Y) or will they use abilities smartly?

I suspect this information is not available yet.
    They announced that they were going to implement controls more similar to DA companions awhile back. Not sure if they got those into beta or not yet.

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 12:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    Why would you not use one if you were stealthing? It's not like they're just walking around unstealthed or something. :P
    They stealth with you? This is news to me and news that I greatly enjoy if true.

Hmmm from the companion video that was released couple of weeks ago they have expanded the companions skills alot....they now have 20+ i believe instead of the 2-5 they had before.

In regards to tactics i think at the moment its basically a toggle on/off for the skills you want them to use in combat

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    They stealth with you? This is news to me and news that I greatly enjoy if true.
    Check out this video around the 5:40 mark. You can see the companion stealthing with the player.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSvK4joKO4

I was trying to find a better video, but can't remember where I saw it before.

Well you can see here around 4:30ish that it doesn't look as complicated as DA. Choosing different "stances" and which moves you want them to use automatically or manually. But this is already a big improvement over what they showed us before with kits so maybe they are working towards DA style stuff. And stealthing we have seen them stealth around with you.

As far as challenge only a beta tester could say. I would guess that the game is built around you having your companion out, and you are expected to be "duoing" everything. But quests probably are not super hard so trying to solo stuff would be like running around with 50% less gear. Might be harder, but if you are smart you can get away with it and not have too much trouble.

Yea, I was hoping it would be like Dragon Age, but I imagine it it'd be a lot harder to make. I think they said that you could level up w/o using your companions, but it would be significantly harder. And yes, companions can use stealth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by link064 View Post
    Check out this video around the 5:40 mark. You can see the companion stealthing with the player.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSvK4joKO4

I was trying to find a better video, but can't remember where I saw it before.
    Also, I've read in a few spots on Darth Hater's previews that companions can't get aggro. They will respond to beasts aggroing on you, but they won't automatically initiate or draw aggro to start a fight. (within a fight of course they will gain it as appropriate, but they won't start fights by aggroing something without you saying so)

yes, the game is built around the use of companions. If you choose to not use them you are severely gimping yourself. They are basically like hunters pets, have their own actions bars/spells. You have to gear them just like you gear yourself (each companion uses different gear)

Quote Originally Posted by nyoan View Post
    Also, I've read in a few spots on Darth Hater's previews that companions can't get aggro. They will respond to beasts aggroing on you, but they won't automatically initiate or draw aggro to start a fight. (within a fight of course they will gain it as appropriate, but they won't start fights by aggroing something without you saying so)
    They have an attack button that you can choose to use to send them into combat first, but generally they wont attack anything until you attack it first and then if they have a taunt mechanic will taunt the mobs off of you.