Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Considering tank death isn't a big issue for the most part, I'd give it to a DPS (not necessarily a Paladin DPS, just a DPS) first. But that's just me. I haven't had issues with tank death for the most part, so the extra DPS would probably be more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    This again? There's already a thread about a DK and Ret Paladin fighting over a weapon.

I'd rather the tank survive easier than a dps getting a couple hundred more on Recount. Most every guild I've ever raided with, gear priority has been tanks>healers>dps.
    And.... tank weapon upgrades for a dk are always a massive survivability boost?
    Expertise on Akirus is certainly more useful than Haste on Skullstealer and that's already better than crit on Sulfuras (ok sulfuras has 2 gemslots to make up for it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manstallion View Post
    Blizzard likes to avoid items that only benefit one class or spec. It would be pretty lame if one of those dropped with no DK in the party.
    Damn it, I forgot to mention. It would benefit both DKs and Bear Druids.

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Moinaldo View Post
    This ^

At the end of the day, better survivality = smoother fight for the whole raid
    Counter argument to that is that more dps = quicker boss kills/phases = less strain on tanks and healers.

I can see the validity of both points.

As the blood tank in my raid (and raid leader), I've passed on all the 2h's that have dropped in FL so far: Zoid's and the Heroic one off Shannox (2 2h's in going on 80 boss kills... horrible luck).

Tanking threat simply doesn't mean much anymore. The only thing I gain on that is ~70 mastery and a ton of dps. The dps is put to much better use by a dps class such as ret paladin.

We'll get our turn eventually.

It all really depends on the weapon's stats. If it has haste OR crit on it, give it to the pally. If it has neither of those open roll it (or whatever else is your normal loot system). Blood DK's actually *need* hit and expertise (soon to be changed), as well as mastery, to effectively mitigate damage.
    Last edited by j46ebucemag; 2011-10-04 at 10:27 PM.
    -Many thanks to Cocoacross for this amazing signature!-

maintank(s) > all
    if he is a dps both have the same right
    but if the weapon is only a minor upgrade (ilvl wise) and it has somethink like crit and haste on it its maybe better to give it to the pala

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    If tank is bad, no amount of gear will save him.
    Agreed. :3

Deleted
    The DPS for sure. Why? Because weapons for tanks are stat sticks, the major factor on any weapon is it's damage. That actually benefits DPSers but has no value at all to a tank. For us weapons are glorified relics. A DPS will see a much bigger increase to their damage than a tank will to their survivability from a weapon upgrade. The same is true of 1H weapons for frost DKs Compared to Prot Pally/Wars.

Also the whole tank first thing is very outdated. I put the priority of my guild as DPS>=Heal>Tank, and I was the main tank at the time. From a progression standpoint the way fights are currently created and tuned the biggest checks are usually DPS checks (ie: Heroic Baelroc, Heroic Rag). And I'm not just talking about enrage-type mechanics, Blizzard have implented tons of shit into the game that makes more DPS directly translate to less damage taken. For just one example look at he Spark on Ryolith, the faster it's killed the less stacks it has and the lower it's damage on the tank.

But that point is still moot in this case because even if you're in a guild that still lets everyone have equal priority, like I said, weapons of any kind are vastly more important to damage dealers than they are to tanks.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-10-05 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivirus View Post
    This again? There's already a thread about a DK and Ret Paladin fighting over a weapon.

I'd rather the tank survive easier than a dps getting a couple hundred more on Recount. Most every guild I've ever raided with, gear priority has been tanks>healers>dps.
    Your dps epeen<raid survivability, is the ultimate answer. Will your new weapon keep your raid alive better, and thus killing bosses with greater efficiency and reduced healer stress?

Your dps epeen<raid survivability, is the ultimate answer
    Well, the weapon is the *LEAST* important piece for a tank, and the *MOST* important piece for a melee DPS, so it's pretty foolish to prioritize a weapon to a tank over a DPS, unless it's a dodge/parry weapon. No, like seriously, why the fuck would you give a tank a DPS weapon over a DPS? It's not even a glorified stat stick, it's just a plain stat stick. Do you also give a hunters best bow to a rogue instead of the hunter? Give the awesome firekitty staff to a hunter over a feral druid?

It's not even epeen vs survivability, the raid literally benefits more from a higher DPS output than from a slightly better stackstick on a tank. It's laughable to give *THE* greatest upgrade possible for a DPS to a tank, for whom, it's probably the worst upgrade they can pick up.