Poll: Will there be spam in Diablo 3?

Do you think there will be spammers?

You all know what I'm talking about. Whenever you make an open game in D2, a ton of spammers join and you really can't do anything about it... even in the battle.net channels there's lots of goldsellers etc.

Do you think this problem will be fixed in D3, yes/no? Post your reasonable suggestions.

There will be at first but Imo they will all lose their money in the long run. With the introduction of real money AH people would most likely buy a lot of items from there instead of websites. Unless it is a super godly rare item or AH is overpriced imo people wont buy as much from sites as they did in D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell78 View Post
    There will be at first but Imo they will all lose their money in the long run. With the introduction of real money AH people would most likely buy a lot of items from there instead of websites. Unless it is a super godly rare item or AH is overpriced imo people wont buy as much from sites as they did in D2.
    Thing is, most people don't buy from sites now either. Some people do, but it's a very tiny minority. Yet, there is still spam in D2.

I know there won't be chat channels, but bots would still be able to join games and/or whisper you.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Thing is, most people don't buy from sites now either. Some people do, but it's a very tiny minority. Yet, there is still spam in D2.

I know there won't be chat channels, but bots would still be able to join games and/or whisper you.
    Oh God, the D2 bots get really annoying really fast. Especially now that they started going into nightmare/hell level games with their level 1 grushed peons to spam...

Yeah, I guess this could probably happen in D3, but since the RMAH exists already, why wouldn't they just use that? Unless they really think they can con people into paying them more than the items on the RMAH cost, but that seems unlikely to actually happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Oh God, the D2 bots get really annoying really fast. Especially now that they started going into nightmare/hell level games with their level 1 grushed peons to spam...

Yeah, I guess this could probably happen in D3, but since the RMAH exists already, why wouldn't they just use that? Unless they really think they can con people into paying them more than the items on the RMAH cost, but that seems unlikely to actually happen.
    There's more for them to sell than just items. Gold, characters, leveling services, whatever.

I honestly don't see how Blizzard would be able to prevent spammers from joining public games or whispering people.

I imagine it'll be a lot like WoW. Hopefully at least less than D2.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    There's more for them to sell than just items. Gold, characters, leveling services, whatever.

I honestly don't see how Blizzard would be able to prevent spammers from joining public games or whispering people.
    True, true. I highly doubt "levelling services" will really exist at all in D3, it shouldn't take more than a few days to make a 60. Gold, I guess I can see, assuming there will be adequate sources of gold sinkage.

yes because people will stupidly buy power level services get hacked and have everything taken and resold :3
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

Deleted
    I'd imagine so, it's pretty unavoidable on any online game really that you get some degree of spammers/scammers/sellers etc. I don't think it will be quite on the same level of MMOs though, and if you're only running private games, have an authenticator and don't go searching to buy gold, I'd think the encounters with them will be pretty rare. I don't know if there are plans to add chat rooms or global chat channels of some sort outside of actual games (like a trade channel), this is where the majority of gold sellers/spammers will be if there is.

The AH will definitely cut down on the amount of out of game trading, which will automatically cut down on the amount of people getting scammed as buying legitimately in game will be a lot safer than going to some gold-sellers website.

We may see people joining public games and spam advertising / whispering people with what they have for sale on the RMAH at the moment.

Heh nicely made video ^^. I really hope Blizz finally come up with a proper way of dealing with spammers, i really hated that part of D2
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be, but easy to filter out. Even now with an open game, you just have to set the min lvl to say lvl 10 so that the low lvl bots can't enter.

Not only will there be spammers but now that the RMAH is there and the potential for real cash to be made. I expect teh dupers and hackers to come out in full swing.

Money drives people to do crazy stuff. I give it roughly 6 months, even with online to play, we will have some bots, spammers, duped items, gold selling spammers and some hacks.

Blizzard wasn't able to stop them in D2 + expansion and I got no faith in them this version either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    SNIP...

I guess this could probably happen in D3, but since the RMAH exists already, why wouldn't they just use that? Unless they really think they can con people into paying them more than the items on the RMAH cost, but that seems unlikely to actually happen.
    I think they will try and cut out the middle man (blizzard) in the transaction. Why buy from blizzard and pay up to 3 times for a single transaction. (once for the posting of an item, once for the sell of it and again when you move fake credits to real money through paypal)

I can see some group with a slogan that tried to cut out any of those 3 steps with a claim of being cheaper and putting more money in your pocket than blizzard.

Whether they can actually do it remains to be seen but I can see the selling point.
    Last edited by quras; 2011-10-05 at 01:59 PM.

Duping and hacking will be virtually non-existent thanks to the Always Online requirement. That, coupled with Blizzard's anti-botting/hacking programs (which have been extensively tested in WoW) will mean that any unlawful gameplay will be quickly stopped.

And while you do raise a good point in regards to gold sellers advertising that they 'cut out the middle man', I doubt that'll be a huge issue either. The RMAH is convinient, simple to use, and trustworthy. Meanwhile the gold sellers are annoying by spamming, hated by the majority of the community, and really dodgy at best. Sure, there will be some who will fall prey to them. But it should be significantly less than in WoW, simply due to the RMAH's existence as a convinient tool that is always there and is a trusted marketplace to spend your cash.

Deleted
    By far most spammers use very low level toons. In diablo 2 you were able to restrict the level range of the game you created.. That way you could atleast stop the low levels from coming in and spamming, which pretty much fixd it all for me,