Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Just point him to their role symbol, does it say tank? no? then don't tank.

If it matters so much for them they should've picked tank exclusively as role when they signed up.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    Am I the only one who got confused on the third post when it came to light that the healer was the boy and the tank was the girl?
    I am sorry but why is this important? What point are you trying to make?

I'm currently levelling as a Disco priest and I'm rather torn. The Healer queue seems to be longer than the DPS queue, but I'm not sure whether to queue as a DPS role with my spec. I am frequently top DPS even when healing, but I get the feeling some might rage at my spec choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peyj View Post
    Hm, this reminds me of a run I joined on my Resto Druid alt.

We started the run, everything was going okay, but I noticed the Priest was Discipline and was doing.. Well, very little damage. So I said to him, "Did you want to heal?"

"No, I'm DPSing!"

Me: "Okay."

And watched as he continued healing, bubbling, etc.

"Are you sure you don't want to heal?" - Me

"No! I'm playing DPS!"

He spent the entire run that way until I eventually left, because there was just nothing for me to do. He raged at me every time I suggested switching to DPS, and as you can imagine, two healers in a low level dungeon.. Complete overkill.

So, it does happen, and it's not because the existing tank or healer are a necessarily a problem. I never had any issues or drama healing on that Druid, particularly in the lower level dungeons. Some people are just crazy, is the conclusion I came to.
    In this example I imagine the disco priest wants to DPS as disco, which works at low levels very well, while helping with shielding, but doesn't want the responsibility of watching the tank rather than putting out the best DPS possible.

----

Of the subject of two people wanting to tank, I find it very frustrating as a low level disco healer. I can shield a tank and it'll last until it times out, but as soon as two people start tanking I have to shield two people and my mana drains twice as fast. If they pull too much and the shields break I'm then having to cycle between shields and flash heals on two targets to prevent them from dying and end up drinking after every fight.

If there's more than one tank, the healer will have to stop more frequently for mana.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source

Stop protecting your girlfriend. Let her keep queueing.

By the time she gets to 85, she'll be a steel-hard, bitter, dominating tank as one should be. =p

This is from someone who leveled a prot warrior from 15 to 70 by sitting my ass in Ironforge and chain-dungeoning.

Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    I'll give you an axsample (spell): you get thorugh the loading screen, you see your DK GF, and you see a druid bear, charge in, and nearly wipe all of us, and then when my GF tryes to get all the aggro, the classical "let me tank ffs!" comes..
    Here's how you do it. When you get into the instance, establish who the tank is (some tanks in the lower levels queue as dps also, and sometimes they don't realize they have to fill that role and not the one they preferred.) If a dps is assisting the tank by tanking or pulling one extra mob or so (and still dpsing mostly) give them some heals. If a dps is pulling before the tank, have your GF pull back with you and wait for them to die. When they die, explain that if they wanted to tank primarily, they shouldn't have queued as dps. If they continue keep doin it, and vote kick them (Im sure the other dpsers in the party would go with you just to get the run done.)

No one likes a cocky dps.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

If that was the case, someone would have been blunt enough to say "This tank is rubbish, let me tank".

Assuming the OP is telling the truth about their comments, you can't honestly think that NOBODY in a random dungeon group would have been abrupt enough to just say "This tank is bad". And if people have been saying that, why on earth bother making this thread in the first place?

I can't help but think if the OP hadn't specified the tank's gender, half these comments about her being a bad tank wouldn't be being posted in the first place :/.
    s
    If 50% of the groups they join have someone saying this, she's clearly doing something wrong - either bad overview, low aggro, or simply being slow. Doesn't matter what gender it's about. It just wouldn't happen so often unless there was a reason for it. If anything you're the one who seems to be making assumptions based on gender, instead of the other information we've been given.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2011-10-05 at 04:00 PM.

If that was the case, someone would have been blunt enough to say "This tank is rubbish, let me tank".

Assuming the OP is telling the truth about their comments, you can't honestly think that NOBODY in a random dungeon group would have been abrupt enough to just say "This tank is bad". And if people have been saying that, why on earth bother making this thread in the first place?

I can't help but think if the OP hadn't specified the tank's gender, half these comments about her being a bad tank wouldn't be being posted in the first place :/.
    Agreed. It's not like the general WoW public is not known for aggressively pointing out failures of another player.

10+ Year Old Account
    mostly i have it the other way around, people queue as tank and appear in pvp gear, in a dps spec.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Andaja View Post
    How much is your gf pulling? I have encountered that atleast from tbc instances people tend to pull full rooms rather then a pack.
    I even encountered the same dps that queues up as dps but then after my small little newbie tank in bad greens pulling just a pack saying ill tank you go dps.
    Yeah, and this kind of stupid shit is why nearly every group I've seen in LFD starts wiping like retards on trash in Sethekk Halls (with the exceptions being either me tanking on an alt or another tank that played during BC). "GOGOGOGO" mentality + inexperienced/timid tanks that don't know how to put their foot down + Wrath babies that don't know concepts like "focus fire" or "kill totems" = epic lulz when the full heirloomed DK gets MC'd and murders everyone. Personally I think every dungeon should have mechanics like that tbh.

"Round up all the packs and AoE" does not work in every single dungeon, even now. Most? Sure, but you have to know when. Even when it does it only works when you know what you're doing, ie actually getting and keeping aggro on all the mobs rather than just running near packs, aggro'ing casters without LOSing or silencing them, etc. Seen a hell of a lot of that leveling my druid heals and my other pally also. I already have a prot pally at 85, I was entirely planning on leveling this other one as ret for quests, holy through dungeons, but my experience was so awful I went and bought all the tank heirlooms. Maybe I'm just a control freak also, heh. But I see way too many new tanks who get pressured into pulling too much and can't handle it, or they don't have the spatial awareness, or they don't understand that the higher level the dungeon is, the more the healer's mana determines the size of the pull. I tend to pull a lot when I can and know heals can handle it, keep aggro, mark skull on what I'm attacking. I'm polite but firm--I'm the tank, I do my job, you do yours, and until you click that shield button, your job is to kill what I pull. Accidents are fine, I'll save you. But you intentionally pull for me, you better be able to handle whatever's chewing your face off, because IDGAF. I only taunt off healers most of the time as a result. I especially have no sympathy for mages, probably because my main is one and I'm tired of the paste eaters making us look bad.

There's a huge ongoing thread on the official forums about how terrible leveling dungeons are and how they're contributing to the terrible play we see in level cap heroics, and 90% of the responses in this thread are proof as to why. You (general you, as well as Blizzard themselves) coddle people and encourage this BS from 10-80 and then wonder why people are such "bads" in Cata dungeons? Heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally, when I get that response on a low level tank it's a matter of speed. Your girlfriend isn't pulling fast enough for them. They want the whole place rounded up as quickly as possible, because apparently they have something better to do.

Deleted
    she got a warrior tank, a paladin tank, a druid tank, and now leveling a DK tank, yes she knows how to tank, even fast, the problem is just, we come in to a dungeon, (from the loading screen and everything) and we can see eather a warrior, paladin, another DK or a druid go bear/shield/blood and just rush in..
    they havent even tryed to see how good she is to tank at all, not a single sec, they just rush in and go berzerk and die, and blames me.. or if i heal up, and i barely have any mana, they just continue and die to the end due to i dont have any mana.
    yes this is the BC instances, nobody can pull a room full of npc's, esp when they pull down 4-7 totems..

you get the point right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth View Post
    Of the subject of two people wanting to tank, I find it very frustrating as a low level disco healer. I can shield a tank and it'll last until it times out, but as soon as two people start tanking I have to shield two people and my mana drains twice as fast. If they pull too much and the shields break I'm then having to cycle between shields and flash heals on two targets to prevent them from dying and end up drinking after every fight.
    Got to admit, this only happened to me once - although I don't really play that frequently, and for me too it was on my low-level disc priest, and yes it was very annoying!

It was BRD. The official tank was absolutely fine - not doing anything wrong at all. Then the warrior who had signed as DPS announces "i tank too we do it wiv 2 tanks". I reply "please don't", and get the usual "wut? lol jus heal ffs" etc. From then on he would grab/taunt whatever he could, despite myself and the tank asking him to stop.

Anyway, after a while the real tank gets fed up and leaves, and up pops the LFD role selector so we could find a replacement, and the wannabe-tank selects... wait for it...

Just the DPS role.

And then he tries the same thing with the replacement tank! "hey <insert new tank name here> i tank as weell".

It would have been tragic if it hadn't been quite so funny.

In this example I imagine the disco priest wants to DPS as disco, which works at low levels very well, while helping with shielding, but doesn't want the responsibility of watching the tank rather than putting out the best DPS possible.
    Maybe, except he wasn't actually doing any damage whatsoever. By 'very little damage', I mean it was pretty much nonexistent. Far beyond the point of "Oh, he's just a low level playing a non-pure DPS spec". I actually don't mind if someone wants to try DPSing as Disc - in a low level dungeon, it really doesn't matter at all. I really posted it just to explain that I'd seen similar behaviour to what the OP was discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    s
    If 50% of the groups they join have someone saying this, she's clearly doing something wrong - either bad overview, low aggro, or simply being slow. Doesn't matter what gender it's about. It just wouldn't happen so often unless there was a reason for it. If anything you're the one who seems to be making assumptions based on gender, instead of the other information we've been given.
    What an odd conclusion to leap to. At what point did I make any assumptions based on gender? Maybe you've missed the posts from others specifically referring to the gender of the tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Agreed. It's not like the general WoW public is not known for aggressively pointing out failures of another player.
    Exactly. Everyone assuming that she's doing something wrong but magically nobody in the WoW playerbase has directly told her she's bad.. Well, I'm sorry, but the chances of that happening are so ridiculously low it's not funny.
    Last edited by Peyj; 2011-10-05 at 10:46 PM.

I dps as a tank while leveling sometimes. Tanks usually do better dps then most dps specs at low level. When leveling a warrior i tend to double some times triple peoples damage as prot up to about level 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Amiright View Post
    I dps as a tank while leveling sometimes. Tanks usually do better dps then most dps specs at low level. When leveling a warrior i tend to double some times triple peoples damage as prot up to about level 60.
    QFT. doing 50% of the damage on a boss fight as prot war is just the best thing ever

most DPs in low level dungeons make it very hard to pick up aggro on everything, there is always one guy decked out who is going to do everything in his power to pull off you, to prove how good he is, even taunting off you and pulling the mob away then blaming you for not getting it back.

Deleted
    I was bored yesterday and qued for random ZA as dps, both tank and healer wasnt really up to par but we cleared all bosses cept Jin'Do.
    He was a bit slow and wiped us 3 times, i got fed up and just said, sry, dont be offended, but i have to sleep, ill take it from here, took literally 6-7 minutes, i topped dps with 9k lol, but we didnt die, and i got to sleep :P

OT, there's times when you maybe aren't pulling your weight and need/should step aside ;P

Deleted
    I'm currently levelling as a Disco priest and I'm rather torn. The Healer queue seems to be longer than the DPS queue, but I'm not sure whether to queue as a DPS role with my spec. I am frequently top DPS even when healing, but I get the feeling some might rage at my spec choice.
    If they rage link recount and so long as you're doing fine DPS then they oughta shut up. Of course some people are terminally stupid and will still be bitches about it, but let them do what they want. You're actually doing fine DPS. I had that exact situation where I was DPSing as Disc and the healer+Tank (bf+gf combo) got on my case about it because I made her Resto Druid completely useless. But quite frankly who cares if some insecure dumbass who doesn't know how the game works whines at you?

Especially if you queue as DPS and go all out, Mind Blast+Penance used for DPS on top of your normal Holy Light/Smite then your damage will be very high compared to most pugs.