Deleted

Can steam users play online with non steam users?

So basically, i just purchased and downloaded Dead Island on steam, and my buddie was gonna do the same. Unfortunately his internet would have taken a good 10+ hours to download, so he bought the retail copy instead. My question is, is it possible for us to play the game together, even though he has the hard copy and mines on steam?

Replys much appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very curious to know this as well. I did not think there was a difference between the steam version and the retail aside from a car ride to gamestop and a disc up until this point

10+ Year Old Account
    If I recall correctly Dead Island uses Steamworks. That means that retail will be registered with Steam, so in this case yes.

As for other games, besides those that use Steamworks, I'm not sure.

Yes. You can. I assume steamworks games are the only games that keep multiplayer in house, but that's not a big deal since that means everyone who has the game has it on steam anyways. Most the games I play on steam don't have multiplayer through steam at all.

*edit*

Whoops. Didn't notice the question was in regard to a specific game. I would assume you can, since I haven't seen a game yet where you can't play with people who aren't on steam.