Ok so I played a super late game vs a zerg yesterday.

Ultras, what the hell is a great counter for ultras with hydra support.

My army was MMM with plenty of sieges I had a few widow mines which i used to drop with and had a couple of banshees just for harass. But even with 3/3 on all my units those ultras tore through me (even using stims to try and hit the bastards.)

in the end he wore my army down. Should I have gone for some thors or cruisers (he had no corruptors or mutas he did have an infestor) what about ghosts are they worth a go?

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    Ok so I played a super late game vs a zerg yesterday.

Ultras, what the hell is a great counter for ultras with hydra support.

My army was MMM with plenty of sieges I had a few widow mines which i used to drop with and had a couple of banshees just for harass. But even with 3/3 on all my units those ultras tore through me (even using stims to try and hit the bastards.)

in the end he wore my army down. Should I have gone for some thors or cruisers (he had no corruptors or mutas he did have an infestor) what about ghosts are they worth a go?
    What league are you in? Ultralisk Hydra should be very beatable with MMM and widow mines.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Marine maruder with micro and stim just destroy ultras. Sure they hurt if they reach you, but they never reach you.

Well marines don't eat them so much, but Marauders sure do. if 1/3 of your bioball consists of marauders you are good to go against them pesky ultras already.

Just stutterstep a bit, or engage in a choke.

Or reroll protoss, get some immortals or void rays and redefine what it means to get fucked in the arse.

I have a question for you terrans - What happened to Banshees? I know they were never really that popular but I used to see some banshee play. I've seen one individual banshee, not even a banshee play, since... like... June last year, but then I never watched it again til January. Is it just a case of everyone has anti air or detection more easily these days, and that if you're going to tech lab your starport you'll get ravens and go seeker missile/PDD play, or get a fusion core and go cattlebruiser?
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    Oh shut the fuck up you spack cunt.

I use banshees! At least in customs where I like to experiment with openings.

But if you go for banshee-play you are very susceptible to an allin from the protoss

However I need to experiment more with banshee harassing after playing 1rax gasless fast exp with bunker. However drops just seem to be that much more effective...

Mechagnome
    I feel like banshees only use is in lategame tvt when you have the viking advantage vs a mech player, but even then ravens / bcs are probably a better investment anyway

Oh and in some crazy all-ins banshees are probably useful

OMG i just realised i havent played starcraft for a week thanks to scumbag dota and dark souls, gotta fix that tomorrow
    Last edited by Nomzter; 2013-04-11 at 08:39 PM.

Only seen one guy use banshees since HoTS launch as well, always hellion or drops with occasional reaper harass.

Banshees need some love. But not enough love to make every damn opening a 111 again.

Conspiracy theory time. The NA/European teams paid Kim Jon Un to attack South Korea to even the WCS????

Jokes aside, it wouldnt be surprising if some people think it's true.
    Last edited by Jess Day; 2013-04-11 at 10:56 PM.

I don't think Banshees need any love buffs. They just aren't in style at the moment. I'm interested to see when the new balance patch will be, hopefully jesus medivacs will be slightly nerfed.

Why build banshees when you can pump out two jesus medivacs(Zait, post 4591) at a time? O.o

My English teacher always told me to use citations...
    i have no signature, because carrots.

My English teacher always told me to use citations...
    Mine always told me that English Literature would get me jobs.

So full of shit. [Said the Singer/Songwriter]

How the hell do you micro drones to kill off early zergling attacks. I could have 15 drones and 6 zergling will just about kill them all off yet when I try things like a 10 pool I'm lucky to even kill a couple drones. This has pissed me off for too long, even trying things like the mineral trick to get a surround on the lings doesn't ever work for me.

15 drones with the mineral trick should easily beat 6 lings. Are you sure you're doing it right? Wait for them to move into the line, then take all drones and click a centre mineral patch, then as they're all roughly on top a click the ground, not the lings, and they should surround and kill the lings off in seconds.

9 drones are usually enough to take out 6 lings with a decent surround.

Someone asked how to wall off a wide choke yesterday, looks like this:

For more Protoss advice I also kinda like desrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNDV...8B42DA866233A8

Also tried NA ladder yesterday. Only got one Z in like 12 games, lots of PvP and most of them went DTs, so sad.
    [x] no beta club

All i know is that my gut says maybe.

Mineral drilling doesn't involve getting a surround though, it prevents them from getting a surround, keeps all your units directly on top of each other so they're all in attacking range of the 1 unit that's able to hit them, and then they one shot it due to all those workers getting a hit at the same time. Or that's what I believed was happening.

Was going to try NA ladder see how much easier it was as people have mentioned repeatedly for like 2 years now that it is Being a protoss player though, PvP I don't like at all just from a point of fun so mehhh maybe not

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Mineral drilling doesn't involve getting a surround though, it prevents them from getting a surround, keeps all your units directly on top of each other so they're all in attacking range of the 1 unit that's able to hit them, and then they one shot it due to all those workers getting a hit at the same time. Or that's what I believed was happening.

Was going to try NA ladder see how much easier it was as people have mentioned repeatedly for like 2 years now that it is Being a protoss player though, PvP I don't like at all just from a point of fun so mehhh maybe not
    Thing is when you mineral click they move through units allowing them to move around the lings. You're not letting them get a surround, but you actually surround them if done at the right time because your drones are converging on them, and then have to be given real space.

---------- Post added 2013-04-12 at 12:48 PM ----------

Also tried NA ladder yesterday. Only got one Z in like 12 games, lots of PvP and most of them went DTs, so sad.
    Every PvP i had yesterday was them trying to either proxy 2 gate or 4 gate. Bitches don't know bout my photon overcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    What league are you in? Ultralisk Hydra should be very beatable with MMM and widow mines.
    Silver league, managed to claw my way out of wood league!

I think I only had a few Mauraders in my MMM ball. Probably why I got destroyed. I guess I would just try to ensure I have a good number of them if i face the same thing next time.

Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I think I only had a few Mauraders in my MMM ball. Probably why I got destroyed. I guess I would just try to ensure I have a good number of them if i face the same thing next time.
    Although it's a part of the game you can learn quickly, learn what units do extra damage to certain types of unit and exploit that when finishing off your army - obviously you can't compose it entirely of that because the ratio's get skewed and you get stomped but it'll help keep your numbers fairly good.

Marines count as Light for their unit type, and Biological. They do same damage to everything. Marauders count as Armored Biological and get a damage boost against Armored targets - meaning they'll hit Roaches, Stalkers and Marauders for more than a Marine/Ling/Zealot. Siege Tanks, Thors, Colossus, Immortal, Swarm Host and Infestor are all armored units too, meaning you'll do more damage with marauders against those. Not saying these are the counters (they aren't, they really aren't) but in a fight if you can focus your Marauders on whatever the most deadly of those you're facing is, that isn't going to be taken care of quickly by something else (eg Vikings taking out the Colossi fast as anything). Another good part of marauders is their huge health, can use them as a meat shield against Banelings if you have them leading the way. If a baneling hits a Marauder, it's going to do far less than if it hit a marine because it won't necessarily kill it.

Ghosts do extra damage against Light units but you'll never use them for that, they're too expensive - you'll use them for EMP on Infestor and High Templar/Archon but that's probably a bit above the league you're in for now Hellions do more against Light, Tanks for more against Armored, the Thor's air attacks do more against light (in the normal payload, in High Impact they don't), Viking does more against Armored (in flying mode), Hellbat more against light and Widow Mines more against shields (so, Protoss only).

It's a lot to take in but you'll pick it up REALLY quickly. Remember that probes/drones/SCV's count as light so a Hellbat drop can be absolute devastation.
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-04-12 at 01:54 PM.

I hate the GSTL UI so much.