Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What type of boss fights do you hate and wish games would stop using?

Personally the one I hate the most is where they take random mobs make them a bit bigger/faster, put them together and then call it a day. It feels like there wasn't even any effort put into making the boss and I've never seen anyone say "Oh yeah, I loved fighting that boss!". Most often it becomes more about either abusing their stupid AI so you can get hits in while they mindlessly spam attacks or use some combination of armor spells to make you shrug off their damage and zerg them.

It doesn't feel fun fighting them at all, but more like I just want to get the stupid fight over with and move on to a real boss that actually has real mechanics besides from attempting to mindlessly spam attacks and shorten your windows for attacking.

Only thing that can get close to the frustration of that is when the real boss is your camera.

QTE "boss cinematics"
    The common man is like a worm in the gut of a corpse, trapped inside a prison of cold flesh, helpless and uncaring, unaware even of the inevitability of its own doom.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    QTE "boss cinematics"
    This. There's nothing more annoying having to defeat a boss using gameplay similar to Guitar Hero.

"Stunlock everyone while I use this ability" Annoyed the shit out of me.

Oh and everything after Wrath of the Lich King was "debuff the tank, forcing a tank swap!" Got so old . . .

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

Any where they give you all these interesting abilities and make the boss immune to all of them. Kind of like DnD, any mob that would be worth casting your more interesting spells on has *absurd* saving throws. Bioshock? Everything does nothing, just mow him down with your sardine grenades and machine gun, lame as hell fight to end an otherwise great game.

I like dishonored, the final guy is as fragile as the first guy you kill.

Bosses who are just bullet/arrow/whatever sponges. I hate when it's about test of your patience not test of your skill.

Bullet sponges and QTE's.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

Ones thats are stupid long to counter for the fact that they arnt difficult in any sense and just require you to hop through the same hoops for 15 minutes.

High Overlord
    Bosses that are completely dependent on RNG to make them vulnerable to attack, Hyrule Warriors has taught me just how horrible a design choice this is in an otherwise really good game

Boss encounters without actual bosses in them. Spoils of Pandaria would be the prime example, but it doesn't just boil down to WoW. The last boss enounter in Bioshock Infinity comes to mind as well.

Anything like tribunal in halls of stone or Vo'jak in siege of niuzao: no way to really speed them up if you have good gear and spend so much time just waiting.

Wesker's fight from RE5. The mixture of scripted scenes where nothing you do changes anything (leading to wasting a ton of ammo on him and being dry when you actually have to shoot him) with scenes that you actually do have to play the game.

Whoever designed that fight needs to be exiled forever. So. Fucking. Awful.

Ones where you spend more time fighting adds than fighting a boss. What's the point of having a boss if 75% of the fight is just attacking adds and cleaving the boss? I'm not saying don't have adds, just don't make them the focal point.

Those that require simple repeated manuevers. The guys blowing smoke? Sidestep so he can hit a wall and you then bash him a bit. It has been around for as long as I can remember and I would think devs could add something less retarted.

Similar mechanics include the slow punch, the charging shot, the ground display of some rocket or boulder.

"fake" bosses, the type where you either are supposed to lose without any prior knowledge or fights where everything screams boss fight and you burn everything you have only to find out the real boss happens straight after. Also cheap bosses, not talking about super bosses like FF, they are optional. I'm talking about bosses that a fuckton of hp and abuse cheap abilities all the time.
    ♪These lies are leading me astray, it's too much for me to stay♪
    ♪♫I don't wanna live this destiny, it goes on endlessly!♪♫

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    "fake" bosses, the type where you either are supposed to lose without any prior knowledge or fights where everything screams boss fight and you burn everything you have only to find out the real boss happens straight after. Also cheap bosses, not talking about super bosses like FF, they are optional. I'm talking about bosses that a fuckton of hp and abuse cheap abilities all the time.
    Barrett.

Deus Ex HR.

Spams grenades. Empty an entire clip in his fucking head and he's still alive.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

5 billion HP beatsticks.

Any fight that involves absurd amount of RNG to make it difficult. Huge health bosses are boring, but RNG ones are just downright frustrating.

QTE's

In any form, its just lame as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    QTE's

In any form, its just lame as fuck.
    Last boss in Tomb Raider (the new one.) Ugh. Brilliant game and the end it with a QTE boss. WTF.