Ret/Rogue?DK What are the Ins & Outs of this comp?

Have a few friends that are excited for next season and want to put a 3v3 together. I am Ret and two friends are DK and Rogue. Been looking around and this seems to be a pretty viable comp. Just wanted to get some info on how to run it effectively.

Other than killing the burst target, what are the responsibilities each member should be aware of? I want to get a good grasp on the mechanics of this setup to start working on it with my friends. Thanks for any info you can provide!

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    you either kill the healer in 15 seconds or lose pretty much. hoj, strangulate, kidney-cheapshot-smokebomb their healer for the kill, repentance/blind dps so they cant peel for healer(b4 the smokebomb)

your dk will be the kill target 90% of the time. if your facing a team with a priest, the pally might be the kill target.

its the most viable triple deeps combo atm and is very 2200 viable.
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    you either kill the healer in 15 seconds or lose pretty much. hoj, strangulate, kidney-cheapshot-smokebomb their healer for the kill, repentance/blind dps so they cant peel for healer(b4 the smokebomb)

your dk will be the kill target 90% of the time. if your facing a team with a priest, the pally might be the kill target.

Triple arcane mage or Arms warrior is more viable

Ok so as we close in on the healer toss out a repent on dps and then rogue drops the smoke bomb.

For specs, is there a better choice? Obviously I will be ret but what is the best choice for the DK and Rogue?

Frost & subtility?

That's what I was figuring, but just wanted to get some insights form people that play the class as their mains.

Pretty much this, although I would say with a ret who isn't being cc'd you can last a long time with his WOG heals.

I would think that rogue rogue mage is better than ret rogue dk though. 4 Smoke Bombs is pretty wack with a mage's cc going around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nangz View Post
    Pretty much this, although I would say with a ret who isn't being cc'd you can last a long time with his WOG heals.

I would think that rogue rogue mage is better than ret rogue dk though. 4 Smoke Bombs is pretty wack with a mage's cc going around.
    Oh yes, my WoG heals can crit for around 45-50K healing with selfless healer talents, plus the option of increased 60% chance to crit on targets at or below 35% hp. I figured my side focus would be off healing if one of my teammates gets low.

As far as class setups though our mains are pally, rogue, and DK so we are working around that combination.

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoo View Post
    Triple arcane mage or Arms warrior is more viable
    You must not have faced any good ret triple dps teams if you think that. Rets offhealing is close to that of a healer, and even if you don't get a kill in the first 15 seconds, you still can last beyond the opening and set up another kill.

Deleted
    vanguards plays it

Quote Originally Posted by hermedes View Post
    vanguards plays it
    He has all kinds of PVP vids doesn't he? Will have to check those out when I get home.

Deleted
    tact:
    sap on a dps, repentance on the other dps
    all three on healer, open with garrote then hoj + smoke (healer trinkets here, if he doesnt use another cheap/kidney/silence to force it)

then all 3 pop cds, switch on a dps with full blind on healer
    dps dies, then switch back to healer and have your rogue lockdown the remaining dps
    ret heals party up , then all on the healer for second kill, etc

alternative : after first dps dies (this shouldnt be a problem) you can also try to follow up the blind with vanish+sap on healer
    and kill second dps and healer last

only the ret and rogue are mandatory in this comp
    DK is a good choice but can be replaced with war/feral
    i pref a feral myself becauz dks break lots of cc with their HB
    and feral dmg is atleast equal to the dks dmg + feral has insta cyclone to follow up the blind
    Last edited by mmocaa8ea6144f; 2011-10-08 at 08:36 AM.

Honestly I don't recommend you run this comp especially next season with the ret burst nerf on its way. I have glad experience and tried this comp, but could not get 2200 with it. If you run into a paladin team your chances of winning are severely reduced to pretty much zero unless your rogue gets a clutch smoke bomb on the kill target. If you face any other healer, the healer may be a viable target based on the other dps. Priests and druids are the easiest kill targets.

There is no way to blind the healer if you start on him since ret dots last 15 seconds and will break it so you would have to wait on that. So really calling the kill target and sticking to that kill target is the best bet. Killing a dps in a bomb is most likely the best bet to score a kill.

Also, the only reason vanguards got high rated with this comp is cause they won 50% of their games at 2800mmr which brings them to that rating. If you armory him now he has ditched this comp and is stuck at 2200 lol. Plus, in his videos his playstyle is really not too impressive as he misses alot of cc chains and does not pop wings at opportune moments. Pretty much carried by his partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Venic View Post
    Honestly I don't recommend you run this comp especially next season with the ret burst nerf on its way. I have glad experience and tried this comp, but could not get 2200 with it. If you run into a paladin team your chances of winning are severely reduced to pretty much zero unless your rogue gets a clutch smoke bomb on the kill target. If you face any other healer, the healer may be a viable target based on the other dps. Priests and druids are the easiest kill targets.

There is no way to blind the healer if you start on him since ret dots last 15 seconds and will break it so you would have to wait on that. So really calling the kill target and sticking to that kill target is the best bet. Killing a dps in a bomb is most likely the best bet to score a kill.

Also, the only reason vanguards got high rated with this comp is cause they won 50% of their games at 2800mmr which brings them to that rating. If you armory him now he has ditched this comp and is stuck at 2200 lol. Plus, in his videos his playstyle is really not too impressive as he misses alot of cc chains and does not pop wings at opportune moments. Pretty much carried by his partners.
    Ret Damage is getting buffed and burst really isn't getting nerfed. Apparently a multi-rank 1 glad is carried though, if you looked anywhere you'd see that the mmr system is broken and its hard to get much higher than 2200-2400 with a team started after the mmr system change.

Deleted
    Basically heres a run down of what you should do as this comp:

Ret is responsible for keeping the team up. You need to use your judgement here on whether or not to use your holy power for damage or a heal for a team mate. Only use your WoG to heal your team mates, do not try to spam them with flash of light or you will oom/ be interrupted.

Dk is there for his necros and slows along with his strang.

Rogue is there for his smoke bombs and stuns. He needs to use his smoke bombs effectively as they need to do in almost any other comp, or you will most-likely lose.
    The comp is easily viable for duelist and even glad if played right.

Ret Damage is getting buffed and burst really isn't getting nerfed. Apparently a multi-rank 1 glad is carried though, if you looked anywhere you'd see that the mmr system is broken and its hard to get much higher than 2200-2400 with a team started after the mmr system change.
    The burst is terribly getting nerfed. 60% chance to crit with hammer of wrath is getting changed to 6%. How is that not a nerf to burst?

Is Vanguards really multi rank 1 cause all I see is his vicious glad title and if you look at his feats of strength there are no other rank 1 titles...Season 9 was a joke with the mmr completely broken and the opness of frost dk+ret comps. I'm not saying he is terrible because obviously you can't be terrible and get glad, but his skill level is far below other rank 1 players. You can tell this in the first few minutes of his newest video. He misses chain ccs and pops wings on a mage that is far away which gets stolen instantly.

Also, yes you can't get much higher than 2200, yet the people that had mmr higher than 2500 before the mmr system got chanegd should not be low rated at all. They have the advantage with that high of an mmr.