Thread: Siberian Husky

Siberian Husky

Hey all! So my dog passed away a few weeks ago and I've been thinking about future breeds. The Siberian Husky is one name that popped up!

The things I NEED to know before even considering getting one are these two things. (I am 16 years old just to let everyone know)

1.) How are they with children? My mom works from home running a dayhome. Now I would like to know if the dog is going to bull doze them over, I've read their good with children but I need to be sure. The kids are toddlers between the ages 4-6 and theres one two year old and one new born. So will the dog be gentle, or will he just go on a rampage and destroy them.

2.) The shedding. I know they shed the problem is my mom "believes" shes allergic. But I believe reading somewhere that the hair doesn't affect allergies. Is this true or just wrong information.

Thanks to anyone who answers. My family and I would love a Husky, and would do everything nessicary to take care of it. But if either of these will be problems its sadly not the right time to get one!

-Rassalon

Deleted
    Can you walk it at least 2 hours a day? Huskies like to run and exercise, can you keep up with it? Fail to do this and the dog may turn nasty, keep it fit and it will be a friend for life.

It's not so much hair that affects allergies as much as it's dander, and huskies have that in abundance. Also, an improperly trained husky will bowl over little kids, so you have to be diligent about properly training him to be a relaxed dog. Even then, huskies aren't known for being calm, cool and collected. They need a lot of exercise and activity in their lives to be happy, so if you don't have the space to let it run, or can't dedicate the time to giving him proper exercise and stimulation, then maybe consider another breed of dog.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Siberian+husky

<Infracted> LMGTFY links are not constructive.
    Last edited by Dacien; 2011-12-01 at 02:23 AM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Siberian Husky

Description

Siberian Huskies are strong, compact, working sled dogs. The medium sized head is in proportion to the body, with a muzzle that is equal in length to the skull, with a well defined stop. The color of the nose depends upon the color of the dog's coat. It is black in gray, tan or black dogs, liver in copper dogs and flesh-colored in pure white dogs. The medium sized, oval shaped eyes are moderately spaced and come in blue, brown, amber, or any combination thereof. Eyes can be half blue and half brown, (parti-eyed) or can have one blue eye and one brown eye (bi-eyed). The erect ears are triangular in shape, set high up on the head. The teeth meet in a scissors bite. The tail is carried over the back in a sickle curve, not curved to either side when the dog is excited. The large "snow shoe" feet have hair between the toes to help keep them warm and for gripping on ice. Dewclaws are sometimes removed. The medium length, double coat is thick and can withstand temperatures as low as -58 degrees to -76 degrees F ( -50 degrees to -60 degrees C). Coat colors include all from black to pure white, with or without markings on the head. The face mask and underbody are usually white, and the remaining coat any color. Examples of common colors are black and white, red and white, brown, gray and white, silver, wolf -gray, sable and white, red-orange with black tips, dark gray and white. Pie-bald is a very common coat pattern.

Temperament

Siberian Huskies are loving, gentle, playful, happy-go-lucky dogs who are fond of their families. Keen, docile, social, relaxed and rather casual. This is a high energy dog, especially when young. Good with children and friendly with strangers, they are not watchdogs, for they bark little and love everyone. Huskies are very intelligent and trainable, but they will only obey a command if they see the human is stronger minded than themselves. If the handler does not display leadership, they will not see the point in obeying. Training takes patience, consistency and an understanding of the Arctic dog character. If you are not this dogs 100% firm, confident, consistent pack leader, he will take advantage, becoming willful and mischievous. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Huskies may be difficult to housebreak. This breed likes to howl and gets bored easily. Does not do well if left alone for a long period of time without a great deal of exercise before hand. A lonely Husky, or a Husky who does not get enough mental and physical exercise can be very destructive. Remember that the Husky is a sled dog in heart and soul. They are good with other pets if they are raised with them from puppyhood. Huskies are thrifty eaters and need less food than you might expect. This breed likes to roam. Siberian Huskies can make wonderful companions for people who are aware of what to expect from these beautiful and intelligent animals and are willing to put the time and energy into them.

Height, Weight
    Height: Dogs 21-23½ inches (53-60cm.) Bitches 20-22 inches (51-56cm.)
    Weight: Dogs 45-60 pounds (20½-27kg.) Bitches 35-50 pounds (16-22½kg.)

Health Problems

Prone to hip dysplasia, ectopy (displacement of the urethra), eye issues such as juvenile cataracts, PRA (primarily in male dogs), corneal dystrophy and crystalline corneal opacities. Breeders can get hip screenings from the OFA and eye screenings yearly from a canine opthamologist (AVCO) and register the exam through CERF and SHOR). Also prone to a skin issue known as zinc responsive dermatitis, which improves by giving a zinc supplements.

Living Conditions
    They are not usually recommended for apartments, however they can live in apartments if well trained and properly exercised. Siberian Huskies are very active indoors and do best with a fenced-in large yard. Because of their heavy coats, these dogs prefer cool climates. One has to use common sense with respect to maintaining them in the heat by providing adequate shade and air conditioning. This breed prefers to live in packs.

Exercise
    Siberian Huskies need a fair amount of exercise, including a daily walk or jog, but should not be excessively exercised in warm weather. They need a large yard with a high fence, but bury the wire at the base of the fence because they are likely to dig their way out and go off hunting.

Life Expectancy
    About 12-15 years.

Grooming

The coat sheds heavily twice a year. During that time they need to be brushed and combed daily.

Origin

Siberian Huskies were used for centuries by the Chukchi Tribe, off the eastern Siberian peninsula to pull sleds, herd reindeer and as a watch dog. They were perfect working dogs for the harsh Siberian conditions: hardy, able to integrate into small packs, and quite happy to work for hours on end. The dogs have great stamina and are light weight. Native to Siberia, the Husky was brought to Alaska by fur traders in Malamute for arctic races because of their great speed. In 1908 Siberian Huskies were used for the first All-Alaskan Sweepstakes, an event where mushers take their dogs on a 408 mile long dogsled race. The dogs gained popularity in 1925 when there was a diphtheria epidemic in Nome, Alaska. Siberian Huskies were used to bring in the much needed medicine to the people. In the late early to mid 1900s Admiral Byrd used the dogs in his Antarctic Expeditions. During World War II the dogs served on the Army’s Arctic Search and Rescue Unit. The Siberian Huskies talents are sledding, carting and racing. The Siberian Husky was recognized by the AKC in 1930.

Group
    Northern, AKC Working

Recognition
    CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC, APRI, ACR, DRA, NAPR

Quote Originally Posted by rassalon View Post
    Hey all! So my dog passed away a few weeks ago and I've been thinking about future breeds. The Siberian Husky is one name that popped up!

The things I NEED to know before even considering getting one are these two things. (I am 16 years old just to let everyone know)

1.) How are they with children? My mom works from home running a dayhome. Now I would like to know if the dog is going to bull doze them over, I've read their good with children but I need to be sure. The kids are toddlers between the ages 4-6 and theres one two year old and one new born. So will the dog be gentle, or will he just go on a rampage and destroy them.

2.) The shedding. I know they shed the problem is my mom "believes" shes allergic. But I believe reading somewhere that the hair doesn't affect allergies. Is this true or just wrong information.

Thanks to anyone who answers. My family and I would love a Husky, and would do everything nessicary to take care of it. But if either of these will be problems its sadly not the right time to get one!

-Rassalon
    Sorry about your dog

I have 2 huskies. They can be super calm, almost lazy hound dog lying around calm. Both are content to curl up in their balls and snuggle with me and the wife. Or they can be insanely energetic. You need to commit to exercising them, before school and after. If I don't walk/jog them b/c its raining or something they go nuts in the house running around chasing each other until they tire themselves out. They play pretty rough, and if you dont have good control over them (huskies not known for easy training) they will bowl over some kid if they need to get their energy out

However if you have them well trained and exercised you shouldnt have a problem, the neighborhood kids play with mine just fine. But a golden retriever might be better for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    My old childhood friend who I'm still visiting every 6 months or so got a siberian husky, they lose alot of hair I can tell you, his dog likes to walk around and be noisy, they need some discipline although. Although they are so cute! Even when they grow old!
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory