Page 4 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    If you start off dotting when you first enter Solar eclipse. With decent enough haste and DI you will have time to do 3 casts "past ending solar" and then refresh. You could get 4 casts before redotting depending on how far away you are from ragnaros but then I've noticed that NG sometimes drops off so better standing alilttle bit closer.

After redotting them just before leaving Solar you can easily enter Lunar and redot when theyre about to expire, spam starfire and then youre back to step1.

Now if you don't have NG the second time to redot in Solar, you're doing something wrong or have had to move very much (Traps spawns etc), in which case I would redot without NG since you'll basicly only have ~3 secs left on the dots as you refresh. If you dont have NG you have time to do 2 wrath before having to refresing dots (again, 3 if you on the far edge of ragnaros platform)

It's pretty easy when you get into it. Notice: This is only for ragnaros, I wouldnt recommend casting 3 wraths before leaving solar to redot on random other encounter.

15+ Year Old Account
    WrathCalcs shows the best DPS possibility with just refreshing DoTs at the start of Eclipses, once you're in halfway decent Firelands gear at least. I'm not sure why everyone tries for 100% uptime when all they're losing is 1-2 ticks of DoTs in a trade off for a few extra GCDs of casts towards Eclipse.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Hey I just started boomkining and I feel like i'm decently geared.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rainjer/simple
    Yet something tells me that I'm not doing the best DPS possible. I currently sit at an average of 15kish.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...47/details/16/
    I don't clip my DoTs, SS off CD, trinks of CD, I use BalancePowerTracker so I switch spells when eclipse is about to happen. Is this the extent of the damage I can do with this gear or am i missing something?
    Last edited by Strainjer; 2011-10-21 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strainjer View Post
    Hey I just started boomkining and I feel like i'm decently geared.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rainjer/simple
    Yet something tells me that I'm not doing the best DPS possible. I currently sit at an average of 15kish.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...47/details/16/
    I don't clip my DoTs, SS off CD, trinks of CD, I use BalancePowerTracker so I switch spells when eclipse is about to happen. Is this the extent of the damage I can do with this gear or am i missing something?
    Logged out in feral pvp gear and not even a 2 million dmg run, really? If you expect results that acomplish something you need to help us a bit more.

However, your dot uptime is poor at best, your moonkin spec is wrong, and you are using feral glyphs in the moonkin spec. Your spells don't hit very hard wich is always a bad sign, but if you want more help, you need to provide better info.

Hey folks,

I consider myself to be a pretty good player. I have been feral most of my time in game and parsed often. I have even parsed on alts during Cata. However, I just can't seem to parse on my boomkin and I often find myself 4th on the meters, which disappoints me a lot (even though I know the mage/ele shaman/shadow priest in my 10 man are very skilled).

I am basically looking to see if anyone has any pointers for me. Here is a parse from our 6/7 H clear this week and my armory.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/57ihjjdjl3lnvtdp/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rakkmur/simple

A few quick comments about my parse and armory:

1. I am the "emergency" healer for my raid and probably end up healing 20% of the time. As a result, some of my reforging is done to accommodate my healing spec (i.e., I never reforge for hit, always spirit).

2. On H Beth, our shadow priest and hunter kill spiderlings. They have me doing spinners and drones.

3. On H Alys, I don't go up top and they don't really want me mult-dotting, instead they want me focused on the druids.

4. On Lord Rhyolith, I have a hard time using mushrooms because our tank moves the adds around so much, by the time I finish placing them the adds are often out of range. Also our Spriest wrecks the adds so fast that by the time I plant my mushrooms, most of the adds are already almost dead. So instead, I have been multi-dotting the adds generally.

5. For H Shannox, I focus on the boss and am not asked to attack Rageface at all. I could multi-dot, but it would be to pad the meters only and wouldn't help my raid.

6. H Baleroc: This is the fight I really want help. I realize this is a terrible fight for boomkins but another boomkin in a rival 10 man on my server does like 3k more dps on this fight than I do. I have ZERO shard responsibilities so I basically stand there and pew pew yet the dps that have to manage the shards still beat me on the meters.

7. H Majordomo: I don't get extended time with the buff as I have to be stacked for stack phases. Our strat has us spreading out on alternating sides during the fight and I am at the end so I often find the boss jumps at a player on the other side and I am out of range for a bit.

The big question I have (and I think Sunfyre spoke to this a few posts up but I just want additional confirmation) is whether you should refresh non-eclipse buffed dots when you first transition into eclipse or let them finish up normally and just make sure you refresh before leaving the eclipse state (obviously I don't care about refreshing IS early in Lunar). (Edit: you can probably ignore this question, unless it is different than the answer in post #58).

Otherwise, I feel I do all the other stuff I should. I just feel like I am leaving 2-3k dps on the table most fights. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Drakkmur; 2011-10-21 at 09:17 AM.
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

What do u consider good uptime on IS and MF on ragnaros HC?

Deleted
    Looking at our kills the past 3 weeks I've been having around ~10-12% uptime on IS and around ~34% uptime on Starfire/Sunfire. (This is from my perspective so overall during the fight, not only dots on ragnaros)

Now I dont know whats considered good but looking at the top 5 logs it seems to be pretty much the same as everyone else.

Deleted
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ulevans/simple

Yes yes, I KNOW thats a feral tank head im using. Eitherway, I feel I should be doing more than 15-16k dummy dps. IS/MF/SF up, with refreshing when trinket comes off, and when I go into solar, aswell as when it just falls off. IS first, as I have my trinkets macroed into it, then MF/SF. Other than that, starsurge off cd, with Wrath/Starfire depending what state im in.

Helpz? Also, my guild want me boomkin for Hc Rag. Any tips?

Edit: I also have the proper glyphs, armoury aint showing it
    Last edited by mmoc5fcc5b6438; 2011-10-21 at 12:24 PM.

drakkmur I've simmed a 5 minute standstill fight in SimulationCraft with your character with no spell crit debuff, and no DI, since you don't have those on your Baleroc kill. It comes out at 30500 dps. Considering you moved for countdowns and took a shard, I don't think your dps is terrible, and you are probably not doing much that is very wrong.

Tweaks you might consider is delaying dot reapplication if you are very close to eclipse (a few casts - no one really knows exactly when it's beneficial to apply before eclipse and when to just push through). You have very high uptime on insect swarm which indicates that you always reapply when it falls down. You might also consider planting mushrooms when you are moving and detonating them in solar. If dots are alraedy up and stuff, and detonate is off the global, it's essentially like spamming 15k instants.

But do realize that the balance rotation isn't completely understood. For example, the ElitistJerks guide says something like "if you are close to eclipse don't reapply dots", or "a few casts", but doesn't specify exactly when because I don't think anyone knows exactly when you should and shouldn't use dots. And SimulationCraft uses a somewhat different rotation iirc.
    Last edited by Pokty; 2011-10-21 at 12:38 PM.

Deleted
    Just a quick question, with regards to potting. If you start the fight at 0 (no eclipse), do you pre-pot anyhow? Or should you wait until the first eclipse?

Quote Originally Posted by supermagma View Post
    Just a quick question, with regards to potting. If you start the fight at 0 (no eclipse), do you pre-pot anyhow? Or should you wait until the first eclipse?
    u should always prepot but thats what critters are for so you most always have an eclipse before the pull
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Pokty View Post
    drakkmur I've simmed a 5 minute standstill fight in SimulationCraft with your character with no spell crit debuff, and no DI, since you don't have those on your Baleroc kill. It comes out at 30500 dps. Considering you moved for countdowns and took a shard, I don't think your dps is terrible, and you are probably not doing much that is very wrong.

Tweaks you might consider is delaying dot reapplication if you are very close to eclipse (a few casts - no one really knows exactly when it's beneficial to apply before eclipse and when to just push through). You have very high uptime on insect swarm which indicates that you always reapply when it falls down. You might also consider planting mushrooms when you are moving and detonating them in solar. If dots are alraedy up and stuff, and detonate is off the global, it's essentially like spamming 15k instants.

But do realize that the balance rotation isn't completely understood. For example, the ElitistJerks guide says something like "if you are close to eclipse don't reapply dots", or "a few casts", but doesn't specify exactly when because I don't think anyone knows exactly when you should and shouldn't use dots. And SimulationCraft uses a somewhat different rotation iirc.
    Hmm, well I guess it is good I am not doing anything totally wrong but at the same time it is a little depressing I can't do much more to increase my output. I actually do delay the cast of dots if I am about to go into eclipse but for IS I only do it for solar obviously so that is probably why my uptime is so high.

Thanks for taking the time to look into my parse though. I appreciate it. Hopefully, they boost Boomkin single target damage a bit in 4.3 but based on early simcraft data, doesn't look like it.
    I am the co-host of a WoW related podcast at www.warcraftlounge.com. Check it out for tips on making gold, commentary on general WoW news, and entertaining recaps of the stupid shit that has happened to us in game. You can download us at iTunes, where we have a 5 star rating from our listeners.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supermagma View Post
    I don't. It's really not worth it if I can't start in Eclipse. I also don't for fights like Rhyolith where DPS on the legs with full armor up is pretty moot, and it's basically a waste.
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    I don't. It's really not worth it if I can't start in Eclipse. I also don't for fights like Rhyolith where DPS on the legs with full armor up is pretty moot, and it's basically a waste.
    While I agree that potting on rhyo / beth may be a waste, potting at 0 energy is still more than worth it in my opinion. Worst case you still have atleast 15 seconds of potion left once you hit solar which is more than enough to get a few op wraths and your pre-shrooms / dots up. If you can't farm them or get them for free I could see people not using them though. It comes down to gold vs dps, and many people have enough gold to buy raid mats for the next few years.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Bampot/simple

Boomkin is just my offspec but I'm considering going MS for Dragon Soul since Feral is once again going to be chronically overlooked and underpowered.

my main problem is my single target DPS, it is absolutely terrible as Moonkin. like, struggle to break 20k dps bad. I do everything right, apply DoTs, IS first to proc NS on Moonfire, work towards Eclipse, don't reapply DoTs or waste Starsurge if I'm approaching an Eclipse. even on Ryo HC with multidotting the slimes in Solar and Shrooming on the adds I am barely over 20k dps overall.

is there a haste breakpoint I'm near that I can perhaps gem or enchant for to improve damage? I know I miss set bonus but it doesn't seem very strong for Boomkin at all.

halP!1

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by crabmousse View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Bampot/simple

Boomkin is just my offspec but I'm considering going MS for Dragon Soul since Feral is once again going to be chronically overlooked and underpowered.

my main problem is my single target DPS, it is absolutely terrible as Moonkin. like, struggle to break 20k dps bad. I do everything right, apply DoTs, IS first to proc NS on Moonfire, work towards Eclipse, don't reapply DoTs or waste Starsurge if I'm approaching an Eclipse. even on Ryo HC with multidotting the slimes in Solar and Shrooming on the adds I am barely over 20k dps overall.

is there a haste breakpoint I'm near that I can perhaps gem or enchant for to improve damage? I know I miss set bonus but it doesn't seem very strong for Boomkin at all.

halP!1
    Maybe it would help if you get some more Balance glyphs in your spec lol Ferocious Bite and Feral Charge wont help you. Also your gear is full normal, no set bonus at all, average experienced.. I dont think that you are under performing. Getting more experience and pure raid play time will help increase it abit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeri2 View Post
    Maybe it would help if you get some more Balance glyphs in your spec lol Ferocious Bite and Feral Charge wont help you. Also your gear is full normal, no set bonus at all, average experienced.. I dont think that you are under performing. Getting more experience and pure raid play time will help increase it abit more.
    I do play with Balance Glyphs, just respecced back from Feral PvP and haven't bothered to do the secondaries (respecced to make this post). not to mention the only glyph having any impact on my damage is Starfall, (I use the starfall glyph but not Focus as I don't like to outrange bosses and cause unneccessary movement). my Feral gear is "all normal" also and I am doing DPS comparable to what the top 60 ranked in heroic gear are doing so don't patronise me please, my Feral single target is 5-10k ahead of my Boomkin and I doubt it's just set bonus. I played Moonkin during T11 so I do have plenty of raid experience.

edit: are the haste breakpoints for Moonkin calculated in Moonkin form, or caster form?
    Last edited by crabmousse; 2011-10-31 at 11:51 AM.

Deleted
    I dont understand your response. This is the moonkin topic, not the feral topic. You just typed alot but said nothing..

For starters some context which you need.
    http://raidbots.com/dpsbot/Baleroc/2...14/90/default/ thats about the most single target as it gets. I choose normal mode instead of heroic because on heroic mode, where moonkins are still bad, there are alot of legendaries pulling the number up. Excluding legendaries Moonkins are prolly the worst single target DPS there is.

So you conclude that you do more single target DPS in your cat MS then your balance OS my only question then is what did you expect?

And yes, especially the 4 piece T12 has a big impact on moonkin single target DPS.

And if you have so much raiding experience as a moonkin why then are you here asking experienced moonkin players these questions?
    Last edited by mmoc9733a50d2c; 2011-10-31 at 03:17 PM.

Deleted
    Hey, I just wanted to check if my reforging is wrong or could do with a little change, pretty confident with rotation etc...

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/kazzak/Terkv/advanced

Run it through a reforge sim or dl reforgelite or something, make sure you doublecheck cuz the results might vary. On the other hand you seem to be going for too many socketbonuses. Get working on that ench asap aswell for ringenchants.

Quick look at reforges: you haven't got haste on every item, reforge to that b4 worrying about getting hit from master/crit where u already have haste - or as said, run it through some calc/sim and get the perfect reforges.