94 20.04%
  • Neither/Other pls list

41 8.74%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    BOTH! SWToR will get my wow sub and GW2 is F2P

Quote Originally Posted by Revy-Kenzie View Post
    Your whole first post was made to antagonize the GW2 players...
    I didn't say a single bad thing about GW2, if I did, I'd love for you to show me.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

As someone who's not put too much research into SWTOR I can't tell what he's making up so I apologize.
    I just never found the genre interesting whereas I've been a fan of Guild wars since '06.
    But really I see the thread going nowhere as it's just going to become an excuse for fanboyism.

Deleted
    None, think both look like shit.

<user infracted for this post>
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-10-06 at 11:02 AM.

swtor.....
    Last edited by Azuri; 2011-10-06 at 10:21 PM.

Deleted
    I'm probably just going to stick with WoW because whenever I switch over to a new MMO I end up back on WoW within 2-3 months. I'd like to point out while I'm here that I seem to be the only one in the world who seems to dislike SW:TOR. It's supposed to be story driven but it contradicts existing storyline. Oh and everyone forgets that there was that dev who left the team and called it 'a fully voiced substandard WoW clone with lightsabres.'

Quote Originally Posted by iTrousers View Post
    I'm probably just going to stick with WoW because whenever I switch over to a new MMO I end up back on WoW within 2-3 months. I'd like to point out while I'm here that I seem to be the only one in the world who seems to dislike SW:TOR. It's supposed to be story driven but it contradicts existing storyline. Oh and everyone forgets that there was that dev who left the team and called it 'a fully voiced substandard WoW clone with lightsabres.'
    Um... no. You're not that special, sorry :S Several people in this thread alone already openly dislike the game, I don't see how you ever got that idea.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vilereaver41 View Post

4-the pvp in swtor is Terrible i mean really... can you find a game with better pvp then gw2?

Your just trolling now, nearly every single leaked review iv seen and the guys who tried the game out at conventions have claimed the TOR pvp is brilliant, Bioware made the whole game with pvp in mind and are taking it to a different level with things like huttball, how much pvp have people actually experienced in GW2? yes they have some good plans (the server vs server pvp is gonna be cool) but as this actually been tested yet?
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2011-10-06 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calgus-CC View Post
    A lot of the points you mention have already been seen in a mmorpg.... ie... Rift

You're saying that GW2 takes the best of all the mmo's in the genre and combines it.... I'll wait and see on that one

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. I'll play both and probably delve deeper into SWToR just because I like the lore. Even then, I'll probably still spend most of my time in WoW due to the atmosphere of higher end progression raiding. Its taken WoW years of development to create encounters that are both balanced and challenging to players of all skill levels.
    actually gw2 was in the making before rift so in a way rift stole the idea of dynamic events off of gw2

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 10:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eike View Post
    swotr sucks, gw2 is ok, both will fail to kill wow, personally i'll try gw2, i liked the first and i want to see this new episode, swotr...no comment.
    gw2 never had the intention of going up against wow considering wow only has 11 mil players left a majority of which are based in asian gaming country's and gw1 allready has a fanbase of 6 million not to mention gw2 fixes everything gw1 wasnt it might not have the intention of killing it but its going to easily overtake it much as other free to play mmo's have

10+ Year Old Account
    Both, but probably more swtor

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    There's no point replying to you, this line makes it obvious you're just baiting and trying to antagonize people, lol.
    now thats where your wrong im making the correct answer why should gw2 have progression raiding? afterall it is a revoulutionary mmo correct? therfor anet wanted it as dif to old style mmo's as possible its been made clear and anyone who fails to notice is just silly

Quote Originally Posted by Eike View Post
    swotr sucks, gw2 is ok, both will fail to kill wow, personally i'll try gw2, i liked the first and i want to see this new episode, swotr...no comment.
    Another typical WoW fanboy who just straight bashes what will be WoWs best competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Poll would be nice. I will choose them both, but Guild Wars 2 looks better though.
    hehe i would do a poll but people sometimes just vote and thats it which is why i wanted people to state there opinions besides gw2 would of probably won iv been to alot of sites and gw2 always beats swtor in polls

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 10:58 AM ----------

[QUOTE=Flimsy;13546404]I agree with some of the points, Guild Wars 2 has some brilliant features.

Meh actually looking at it again you have made alot of stupid points,friendly community, persistent world, marks on npc's heads? hmmm ye ok, wow has had a persistent world for over 6 years nothing new there, I don't know how you can claim the community if friendly at this stage, wait until the game is released and that will soon change and the marks on npc's is just and odd thing to say, it feels like you made 2-3 good points then thought ''shit what else is cool in this game''
    QUOTE]

the community was based on my opinion if you read my pst properly also have you played gw1? it does not have a persistent world so this is a big step. and the npc remark was that off i did not enjoy always going to npcs with exclamation mark's on there head and anet replaced it with voice questing so id appreciate it if you re read and properly analysed my post next time before calling it stupid also look at my reply to the guy who listed down all the bad points i said iv played alot of mmo's and there community forum wise wasnt so good

I will go for both. More excited about Gw2 ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Are you not reading the things he's saying?

The OP is claiming that he "heard" that SWTOR won't even have endgame because it's so bad. Please, tell me where this has ever been said, because it hasn't. At that point it just becomes obvious that he's just making shit up. There are many other points in there that aren't even real points.

I'm not a giant SWTOR fanboy, I don't like several aspects of the game, and I'll try GW2 as well. But I'm not going to sit back while some people just talk trash about SWTOR that isn't even true.
    making stuff up? and pls refrain from language on my thread iv said that because the people who played the demo have stated it so therefor i assume they would of talked to the developer's also go take a look on google im sure youl find alot of evidence to back my words up

10+ Year Old Account
    im sure theyll add game changing stuff to cashshop turning it into a waste of money even if it is a 1time purchase and the fact its develepoed by NCsoft i can tell its gonna be a nightmare to play since i still cant get my aion info back as they never repsond to my mails or ask for things i cant give them as i have no idea where to get it + why the game and master account both need "seperate" username/passwords just makes loging into either a godamn nightmare i hope they add a trial or a starter edition like wow has now

Guild Wars 2 is my choice. PvP in that game looks amazing!
    So far I haven't seen anything interesting or unique in SWToR and it look's like WoW in space for me, but with worse animations.

GW2 >>>>>> SWToR >>>>>>>...> WoW

Just my opinions.
    Hi

Guild Wars 2 does not use phasing.

Dynamic Event chains replace quests in the game. When you go out into the world, you don't look for NPCs with symbols over their heads, read a wall of text and then go kill X of Y at location Z. You go out and explore the world and while exploring, run into various Dynamic Events. Events are ongoing in the world and when you get close enough to an event, you'll see what's going on, your ui will give you the current objectives and you can participate or not.

Dynamic Events aren't on a short term, repeating timer. They are branching chains of events that occur in the world, which can influence other events chains in the zone and which can be effected, or not, by players in the areas as the events play out.

If bandits are attacking a local village, you don't read about it in some quest then head there only to find that, yes, bandits are scattered around the village, but no, they will never capture the village, whether you and all your friends "kill ten bandits" or not. In GW2, the bandits will actually be attacking the village and if players don't stop them, they will capture the village, kill the vendors and take up residence. Buildings will be destroyed in the attack and the fact that bandits now control the place will be very evident. If players don't work to repel them, they will gather resources, build defenses and prepare to use the village as a base to invade some other nearby location. Unchecked, their influence will spread through out the zone, triggering new event chains depending on what points of the map are controlled by bandits, or other threats in the zone.

If, on the other hand, players do band together to defeat the bandits and drive them from the village, villagers will return and another dynamic event in the chain will begin. The villagers will rebuild. They may have events where you can help gather resources to rebuild the village, or lead a counterstrike into bandit territory, or some other event going the other way down the chain.

Again, none of this is phased. The state of each zone is continuously in flux, depending on the state of various Dynamic Event chains with in the zone. Some DEs are very localized, with specific triggers and few event links. Others are very long and branching chains. Others still react to the state of other events in the zone. Everyone on your server experiences the zones in the same way, actions have consequences for everyone and your actions, or inaction, may ripple out through out the zone in a persistent way. DEs don't just reset on their own. If said Bandits manage to capture most of the zone, they will maintain control of their territory with in the zone until players do something about it.

Dynamic Events scale based on the number of players. Most events require at least one player and scale up in power to accommodate up to ten active participants. A few may require five players and scale to fifty and a very few Epic DEs may be designed for ten to one hundred. Scaling is based on continuous evaluation of who is actively participating, so players can't grief others by standing close to scale up the event, while doing nothing to help.

The side kick system is a bit different than you might expect. Yes, a higher level character can group with lower level characters and actively "side-kick those players up" to match the highest characters level. However, the sidekick system also automatically side kicks characters who are of a higher level than the content in a zone down to a reasonable effective level for that zone. Characters side kicked down will be more powerful than a character that is truly that level, but content will still be viable for the player who has been scaled down. (You even get XP and Loot based on your true level, scaled back only slightly). A main motivation for this system, in addition to making lower level content viable for higher level characters, is as an anti-griefing measure, to prevent higher level characters from going to lower level zones and trivializing the DEs there.

On a related note, there is no mob tapping or kill stealing in GW2. Everyone who meets a minimal threshold of damage on a mob, (5% to 10%, depending on the number of characters involved), get FULL xp and their own FULL LOOT. Not their share, the full amount they would have received attacking it solo. This is grouped or not. You will never not want another player to help with content.

GW2's Personal Story may actually end up stacking up fairly well vs. TORs system. Most likely fewer hours per character occupied by your fully voiced story content, but unlike TOR, the GW2 personal story is fully branching, rather than linear and is influenced by a series of choices you make about your character biography during character creation, as well as during the story itself. While TOR has eight linear stories, GW2 Personal Stories have thousands of possible combinations of individual story events, based on personality and your actions during the story. In addition to the voice acted story, these story events include fully interactive content. The Personal Story, (as opposed to the over all game world) are instanced, but you can invite others into your personal story and the content will scale appropriately based on the number of participants and their level.

Connected intimately to your personal story is every character's Home Instance, which is an instanced "City Block", or it's equivalent, in your racial city. The Home Instance is large and full of interactive NPCs and content. It also will reflect the various choices you have made in your Personal Story. For instance, if a main character in your story line dies as a result of your choices and actions, the graveyard will have a monument to that character, NPCs will leave flowers and there will be a ceremony on the anniversary of their death. If an story event required you to chose between saving the Orphanage or the Hospital from a fire in the city, the one you failed to save will become a burned out husk and npc orphans will roam the zone if you failed to save the orphanage, or the sick and injured will linger in the alleys, depending on your choice.

Gear will scale, but the power curve is more shallow than other MMOs. Also, at the level cap, it will not be too difficult to achieve the gear "power plateau". No more ongoing "carrot on a stick" raid gear progression.

There will be some extensive dungeons in the game, but they are designed for 5 players parties, rather than raids. Each will have a Story Mode, which will be winnable by a reasonable Pick Up Group. Once completing the Story Mode for each dungeon, Explorer Mode is opened up. This mode features at least three alternative routes through the dungeon, with almost all the content being areas not seen in the Story Mode or in any other Explorer Mode branch. Explorer Mode is designed to be very difficult and PUGs probably won't cut it, unless the players are very skilled and work very well with strangers.

All dungeon modes have Dynamic Events with in them, as well as some random events, so there will be variety in the way they play out.

When completing a dungeon, all players will gain Dungeon Tokens sufficient to purchase a piece of armor or weapon associated with that dungeon. No more being at the mercy of the loot table and five people rolling on two pieces of boss loot.

GW2 also gets rid of the "Holy Trinity" of DPS, Tanking and Healing. I won't go into this in detail, as this post is already too long, but those interested in the game should research how GW2 is handling class versatility and dynamic party roles in the game.

The subjective will remain subjective until we get to play and compare both games, however, the PVP design in GW2 is much more involved and much less a tacked on after thought, on paper. Also, TOR doesn't have anything like GW2's World vs. World vs. World mass, persistent, objective driven multi-zone PVP, which pits groups of three world servers against each other in a two week war, with server wide rewards for the winners and new match ups every two weeks aimed at matching servers of similar prowess against each other.

World vs. World vs. World takes place in four huge zones and features Dynamic Events, Resources, Supply Lines and many capturable locations, including Castles, Keeps, Villages, Mines, Siege Engine Workshops, etc... Everyone is "side kicked" up to level 80, though players retain their own gear and skills. A true level 80 would have a measurable advantage over a level 30 that has been scaled to level 80, but a skilled level 30 will still have a chance vs. a not so good Level 80. Players will earn XP and Loot Drops (though they don't loot the opponents actual inventory) while in WvWvW and a player could level all the way to 80 there if they wished.

All characters can easily access WvWvW after finishing the initial 15 minute tutorial section of the game.

GW2 also has ESport quality Competitive PVP, which essentially "clones" your PvE character, makes them level 80 with full skill and gear unlocks and allows players to compete in organized "battle ground" like arena combat. This mode will feature casual games, supporting 1 vs. 1, up to 10 vs. 10, but there will also be structured, formal, ongoing tournaments featuring 5 vs. 5. Some of these tournaments will track competition over various periods of time, from a month, to a quarter, to a full year.

Since CPVP is completely separate from the PVE and WvWvW sections of the game, competition is game wide, not server or "battle group" wide.

I hope this sheds a little light on some of the features that have been written off, apparently because of a lack of understanding of what features on a feature list actually represent. This is far from an inclusive list of the features and innovation in the GW2 game design, but should hint a bit as to what the game aims to offer.

SWTOR may be very "wow-like", with Star Wars lore and a Star Wars skin, but GW2 aims to be something very different by redesigning the MMORPG from the ground up, with the intent to eliminate many of the negatives of the stale MMO template and make the genre fun and inventive again.

As a Star Wars fan, I have TOR on pre-order and will play both games. Fortunately, since GW2 is Buy to Play and has only the box price and no monthly subscription fee, I can afford to stay active in both, assuming TOR gives me reason to keep playing once GW2 comes out, likely in Q1 of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by iTrousers View Post
    might i reccomend atleast trying gw2 its not like you have anything to lose? also give swtor a try i heard bioware spent 300mil i think on the game so its worth trying them both right? it seems that both companys are putting there all but personally if your looking for change gw2 is your game if your looking for wow simmilarity swtor is for you

10+ Year Old Account
    I will try both, and still keep my sub to Wow if they both are not so interesting as i think they will be.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.