105 22.39%
  • Both will do well

94 20.04%
  • Neither/Other pls list

41 8.74%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Your just trolling now, nearly every single leaked review iv seen and the guys who tried the game out at conventions have claimed the TOR pvp is brilliant, Bioware made the whole game with pvp in mind and are taking it to a different level with things like huttball, how much pvp have people actually experienced in GW2? yes they have some good plans (the server vs server pvp is gonna be cool) but as this actually been tested yet?
    i wasnt trolling but i admit i might of exagerated. but wvwvw imo is something that wont fail considering gw2 allready has a fanbase from gw1 moving over and im sure knowing arenanet they wont fail as they always do what they say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is my choice. PvP in that game looks amazing!
    So far I haven't seen anything interesting or unique in SWToR and it look's like WoW in space for me, but with worse animations.

GW2 >>>>>> SWToR >>>>>>>...> WoW

Just my opinions.
    ^ I'm tired of mmo's forcing pvp to take a back seat to pve.

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    im sure theyll add game changing stuff to cashshop turning it into a waste of money even if it is a 1time purchase and the fact its develepoed by NCsoft i can tell its gonna be a nightmare to play since i still cant get my aion info back as they never repsond to my mails or ask for things i cant give them as i have no idea where to get it + why the game and master account both need "seperate" username/passwords just makes loging into either a godamn nightmare i hope they add a trial or a starter edition like wow has now
    hehe actually the game is just published by ncsoft. arenanet are the developers and there first mmorpg gw1 was quite succesful with over 7 million copy's sold and a fanbase of 6 million also there micro transacations for gw1 were also quite succesful as they do not effect the gameplay

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2, right of the bat, dont care what anyone thinks
    Last edited by 3DTyrant; 2011-10-06 at 11:09 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Guild Wars 2 does not use phasing.

Dynamic Event chains replace quests in the game. When you go out into the world, you don't look for NPCs with symbols over their heads, read a wall of text and then go kill X of Y at location Z. You go out and explore the world and while exploring, run into various Dynamic Events. Events are ongoing in the world and when you get close enough to an event, you'll see what's going on, your ui will give you the current objectives and you can participate or not.

Dynamic Events aren't on a short term, repeating timer. They are branching chains of events that occur in the world, which can influence other events chains in the zone and which can be effected, or not, by players in the areas as the events play out.

If bandits are attacking a local village, you don't read about it in some quest then head there only to find that, yes, bandits are scattered around the village, but no, they will never capture the village, whether you and all your friends "kill ten bandits" or not. In GW2, the bandits will actually be attacking the village and if players don't stop them, they will capture the village, kill the vendors and take up residence. Buildings will be destroyed in the attack and the fact that bandits now control the place will be very evident. If players don't work to repel them, they will gather resources, build defenses and prepare to use the village as a base to invade some other nearby location. Unchecked, their influence will spread through out the zone, triggering new event chains depending on what points of the map are controlled by bandits, or other threats in the zone.

If, on the other hand, players do band together to defeat the bandits and drive them from the village, villagers will return and another dynamic event in the chain will begin. The villagers will rebuild. They may have events where you can help gather resources to rebuild the village, or lead a counterstrike into bandit territory, or some other event going the other way down the chain.

Again, none of this is phased. The state of each zone is continuously in flux, depending on the state of various Dynamic Event chains with in the zone. Some DEs are very localized, with specific triggers and few event links. Others are very long and branching chains. Others still react to the state of other events in the zone. Everyone on your server experiences the zones in the same way, actions have consequences for everyone and your actions, or inaction, may ripple out through out the zone in a persistent way. DEs don't just reset on their own. If said Bandits manage to capture most of the zone, they will maintain control of their territory with in the zone until players do something about it.

Dynamic Events scale based on the number of players. Most events require at least one player and scale up in power to accommodate up to ten active participants. A few may require five players and scale to fifty and a very few Epic DEs may be designed for ten to one hundred. Scaling is based on continuous evaluation of who is actively participating, so players can't grief others by standing close to scale up the event, while doing nothing to help.

The side kick system is a bit different than you might expect. Yes, a higher level character can group with lower level characters and actively "side-kick those players up" to match the highest characters level. However, the sidekick system also automatically side kicks characters who are of a higher level than the content in a zone down to a reasonable effective level for that zone. Characters side kicked down will be more powerful than a character that is truly that level, but content will still be viable for the player who has been scaled down. (You even get XP and Loot based on your true level, scaled back only slightly). A main motivation for this system, in addition to making lower level content viable for higher level characters, is as an anti-griefing measure, to prevent higher level characters from going to lower level zones and trivializing the DEs there.

On a related note, there is no mob tapping or kill stealing in GW2. Everyone who meets a minimal threshold of damage on a mob, (5% to 10%, depending on the number of characters involved), get FULL xp and their own FULL LOOT. Not their share, the full amount they would have received attacking it solo. This is grouped or not. You will never not want another player to help with content.

GW2's Personal Story may actually end up stacking up fairly well vs. TORs system. Most likely fewer hours per character occupied by your fully voiced story content, but unlike TOR, the GW2 personal story is fully branching, rather than linear and is influenced by a series of choices you make about your character biography during character creation, as well as during the story itself. While TOR has eight linear stories, GW2 Personal Stories have thousands of possible combinations of individual story events, based on personality and your actions during the story. In addition to the voice acted story, these story events include fully interactive content. The Personal Story, (as opposed to the over all game world) are instanced, but you can invite others into your personal story and the content will scale appropriately based on the number of participants and their level.

Connected intimately to your personal story is every character's Home Instance, which is an instanced "City Block", or it's equivalent, in your racial city. The Home Instance is large and full of interactive NPCs and content. It also will reflect the various choices you have made in your Personal Story. For instance, if a main character in your story line dies as a result of your choices and actions, the graveyard will have a monument to that character, NPCs will leave flowers and there will be a ceremony on the anniversary of their death. If an story event required you to chose between saving the Orphanage or the Hospital from a fire in the city, the one you failed to save will become a burned out husk and npc orphans will roam the zone if you failed to save the orphanage, or the sick and injured will linger in the alleys, depending on your choice.

Gear will scale, but the power curve is more shallow than other MMOs. Also, at the level cap, it will not be too difficult to achieve the gear "power plateau". No more ongoing "carrot on a stick" raid gear progression.

There will be some extensive dungeons in the game, but they are designed for 5 players parties, rather than raids. Each will have a Story Mode, which will be winnable by a reasonable Pick Up Group. Once completing the Story Mode for each dungeon, Explorer Mode is opened up. This mode features at least three alternative routes through the dungeon, with almost all the content being areas not seen in the Story Mode or in any other Explorer Mode branch. Explorer Mode is designed to be very difficult and PUGs probably won't cut it, unless the players are very skilled and work very well with strangers.

All dungeon modes have Dynamic Events with in them, as well as some random events, so there will be variety in the way they play out.

When completing a dungeon, all players will gain Dungeon Tokens sufficient to purchase a piece of armor or weapon associated with that dungeon. No more being at the mercy of the loot table and five people rolling on two pieces of boss loot.

GW2 also gets rid of the "Holy Trinity" of DPS, Tanking and Healing. I won't go into this in detail, as this post is already too long, but those interested in the game should research how GW2 is handling class versatility and dynamic party roles in the game.

The subjective will remain subjective until we get to play and compare both games, however, the PVP design in GW2 is much more involved and much less a tacked on after thought, on paper. Also, TOR doesn't have anything like GW2's World vs. World vs. World mass, persistent, objective driven multi-zone PVP, which pits groups of three world servers against each other in a two week war, with server wide rewards for the winners and new match ups every two weeks aimed at matching servers of similar prowess against each other.

World vs. World vs. World takes place in four huge zones and features Dynamic Events, Resources, Supply Lines and many capturable locations, including Castles, Keeps, Villages, Mines, Siege Engine Workshops, etc... Everyone is "side kicked" up to level 80, though players retain their own gear and skills. A true level 80 would have a measurable advantage over a level 30 that has been scaled to level 80, but a skilled level 30 will still have a chance vs. a not so good Level 80. Players will earn XP and Loot Drops (though they don't loot the opponents actual inventory) while in WvWvW and a player could level all the way to 80 there if they wished.

All characters can easily access WvWvW after finishing the initial 15 minute tutorial section of the game.

GW2 also has ESport quality Competitive PVP, which essentially "clones" your PvE character, makes them level 80 with full skill and gear unlocks and allows players to compete in organized "battle ground" like arena combat. This mode will feature casual games, supporting 1 vs. 1, up to 10 vs. 10, but there will also be structured, formal, ongoing tournaments featuring 5 vs. 5. Some of these tournaments will track competition over various periods of time, from a month, to a quarter, to a full year.

Since CPVP is completely separate from the PVE and WvWvW sections of the game, competition is game wide, not server or "battle group" wide.

I hope this sheds a little light on some of the features that have been written off, apparently because of a lack of understanding of what features on a feature list actually represent. This is far from an inclusive list of the features and innovation in the GW2 game design, but should hint a bit as to what the game aims to offer.

SWTOR may be very "wow-like", with Star Wars lore and a Star Wars skin, but GW2 aims to be something very different by redesigning the MMORPG from the ground up, with the intent to eliminate many of the negatives of the stale MMO template and make the genre fun and inventive again.

As a Star Wars fan, I have TOR on pre-order and will play both games. Fortunately, since GW2 is Buy to Play and has only the box price and no monthly subscription fee, I can afford to stay active in both, assuming TOR gives me reason to keep playing once GW2 comes out, likely in Q1 of 2012.

Honestly GW2 feels like an actual progression in the mmo genre whilst SWTOR seems to maintain a more traditional model with the Star Wars IP. I've never been much of a fan of star wars (all nerdiness over it is through osmosis from my friends) so it's not going to cut it for me.

GW2 all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    swtor.....

<User infracted, one word posts do not contribute to the discussion>
    Are you fucking serious? The thread asks which I will choose and at the time didn't have a poll. Seriously fucking moron mod.

Don't Flame.
    Last edited by seam; 2011-10-06 at 11:39 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Any info about GW2 release or beta? I couldn't find anything

Quote Originally Posted by Sellest View Post
    Any info about GW2 release or beta? I couldn't find anything
    Closed beta at the end of the year. :>
    Hi

Deleted
    I'm gonna buy and play both. But SWTOR has the higher priority atm.

a perfect bugless game
    No such game excists. Never have, never will

Quote Originally Posted by lilbruz View Post
    No such game excists. Never have, never will
    maybe this time it will be true but there going to get as near to it as they can afterall arenanet have said manytimes they wont to make the best pc game ever

I wont try any of these games. Star Wars for me died a long time ago, I don't want to play the game with story that I don't like, plus the worst part of the game is not the game it self, it is going to be published by EA... it's just sad... and GW2 is not my type of game and I just won't play it. If I will be leaving World of Warcraft, then it won't be for some other mmo, it will be to leave mmo's for good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfield View Post
    I wont try any of these games. Star Wars for me died a long time ago, I don't want to play the game with story that I don't like, plus the worst part of the game is not the game it self, it is going to be published by EA... it's just sad... and GW2 is not my type of game and I just won't play it. If I will be leaving World of Warcraft, then it won't be for some other mmo, it will be to leave mmo's for good.
    oh come on seriously you wont even give gw2 a try? i mean anet stated if you love mmo's gw2 is the game for you and they also said if you hate mmo's gw2 is defenitly the game for you atleast give it a try i mean i personally decided it instead of swtor not because im not a sw fan but because its revoulutionary would you like to be there at the start of something big?

Deleted
    Swtor and gw 2 both will probably be great.

But Guild wars is trying new stuff and advancing the genre, whileas star wars is building firmly on the old and good stuff, like voice acting.

Quote Originally Posted by vilereaver41 View Post
    oh come on seriously you wont even give gw2 a try? i mean anet stated if you love mmo's gw2 is the game for you and they also said if you hate mmo's gw2 is defenitly the game for you atleast give it a try i mean i personally decided it instead of swtor not because im not a sw fan but because its revoulutionary would you like to be there at the start of something big?
    No, I just don't want to play that game, for PvP I have moba's and nothing about the game, that I saw so far interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    swtor.....

<User infracted, one word posts do not contribute to the discussion>
    Wow this is becoming worse then the official wow forums. Infracting people for answering what the thread was asking.

On topic, I will be playing SWTOR probably. Will give GW2 a shot though since it's F2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    wanna try star wars ^^

since i have a urge too run around and slice things with a lightsaber

both probably but GW2 is higher on the list!

They are both great games, but but thing is that SWTOR will be released this year, and GW2 will be launched in 2012 at best. and GW2 does not have subscription fee, so you can have both. But if I have to choose I would go for GW2