How to transition from 10 man healing to 25 man healing?

Hi, I'm a holy priest and I might switch guilds to a 25 man one. Thing is... I haven't done 25 man heals in like 2 years, and I'm sure some things have changed. What are the main things to look out for?

My biggest concern right now is that I'm pretty knowledgeable of what my other 2 healers can handle in 10 man mode, so I don't want to turn 25 mans into an overhealing festival.

I had to make the same transition a few months ago.

The our guild goes by it:

All the healers get their specific assignments which they must priortize first before assiting other healers. If someone your supposed to be healing dies because you were healing outside of your assignment, then it looks bad on you (I was especially careful of this during trial). If they die because they did something they weren't supposed to then dont worry.

So 1st) Your assignment 2nd) Whoever needs help.

Oh ok, thanks. What would normally be my assignment? 1 group, 2 groups?

Deleted
    We went from 10m to 25m recently - two tankhealers (pallies) two raidhealers (druids) a disco, and a float healer. We put each druid on two groups, a pally on either tank, and the other healers are assigned by our Healer leader (yes, we have a ranged lead, melee lead, and heal lead calling out tacs).

We went from 10m to 25m recently - two tankhealers (pallies) two raidhealers (druids) a disco, and a float healer. We put each druid on two groups, a pally on either tank, and the other healers are assigned by our Healer leader (yes, we have a ranged lead, melee lead, and heal lead calling out tacs).
    So I'll probably get two groups? And what happens with smart heals like Chain Heal and Circle of Healing?

Yeah the general idea is that you want assignments. What's more your way of healing changes a lot moving from 10m to 25m for most classes. So prepare to adapt and reconsider your toolbox.
    Yeah, I'm already trying to use Renew way less and favoring PoH. I'm thinking I'd PoH first group, CoH and PoH second group, and then top off targets and assist with renew until the glyph PoH hot wears off? is this accurate? Also, here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...asombra/simple

I was thinking of speccing out of Rapid Renewal, honestly I haven't played with it enough to warrant it useful. Do you usually spec into Inspiration or does someone else provide it? I think I'll be rolling with paladin and disc tank healers.

Do you guys glyph lightwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Slutty View Post
    Yeah, I'm already trying to use Renew way less and favoring PoH.

I was thinking of speccing out of Rapid Renewal, honestly I haven't played with it enough to warrant it useful. Do you usually spec into Inspiration or does someone else provide it?

Do you guys glyph lightwell?
    Regarding renew: it's not as bad as you think. Don't try to avoid renew, learn when it's most useful. Under certain damage patterns Renew can overheal less than PoH, you can also utilize idle time by precasting Renew where a PoH would overheal 100%. Under these circumstances spreading renews is more efficient/higher throughput than PoH any time you don't have an optimal PoH target.

Regarding rapid renewal: if you can learn how to make best use of Renew, RR becomes a pretty strong talent because given similar overheal between PoH / Renew, 1sec GCD Renew between PoHs doesn't actually lose you any throughput over full-on PoH spam. This changes a bit at really high haste values, and most people have difficulty making renew work for them. If Renew is pretty rare use for you, no reason to take RR.

Inspiration: only actually useful if you get fill time on tank, and if one of your primary tankhealers is an SoS disc those 2 points would be better spent elsewhere. But, it's hard to use all your points effectively as holy, so if you have 2 extra points this doesn't hurt.

Glyphing lightwell: If you use LW like a raidwide healing cooldown, LW glyph is great. That is, during a raid-stacked moment with heavy AoE, one of your raid CDs is to make the LW disappear instantly (by 25 people clicking on it at once). If your raidleader won't train your raidgroup to use it, not so useful.

Zero-overheal Renew is 10 HPM, zero-overheal PoH is 16 HPM. (for me, while fully raid buffed) 30% overheal Renew 7 HPM, 40% overheal PoH 9 HPM. So you see if you can learn to recognize these moments you can get reasonably efficient throughput out of renew, at times when casting a PoH is nothing but wasting mana.
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-10-06 at 06:31 PM.

You'll find 25 man healing is a lot less stressful.

We're going to assume you know how to play your class and healing. You'd be better off asking the raid leader or healing captain what your role will be and then report back to us. Would better help the priests on here to give advice on how they perform that role

Deleted
    Increase your poh/coh usage by a lot, focus less on tanks, hw:sanc is very good for any fights where you stack up (rhy,alys/beth)

Thanks Zakaluka, I'll keep those tips in mind. I guess I didn't phrase myself correctly: I do use Renew, in fact I used to overuse it because I thought the speccing into all the Renew talents kinda pidgeonholed me into using it at all times. I'm not discarding it at all, I'm just switching PoH and Renew in my healing priority. For example, before on my 5 mans after say a Fire Volley or some other aoe move I would do 5 renews on all members, THEN PoH/CoH. I'm doing PoH and CoH first now, and then just renewing the targets with less health afterwards. I see better mana efficiency this way and better healing numbers. In the 5 mans I've done since I switched back to holy and applying this new method, I see about 12k on idle fights, 18k on moderate mana burn and damage, and 24k when the tank fucks up and pulls more or we don't kill ZA scouts in time. I think those are excellent numbers for a 5 man.

You'll find 25 man healing is a lot less stressful.
    Good to know We'll be pushing HMs 3-7 on 25 man.

We're going to assume you know how to play your class and healing. You'd be better off asking the raid leader or healing captain what your role will be and then report back to us. Would better help the priests on here to give advice on how they perform that role
    I'm pretty decent I'm sure. I laid off mastery in favor of haste for 10 man HMs anyways, so I think I'll do just fine. They told me I'm on raid heals, healing in total with 2 holy paladins, a disc assistant with them, a resto shaman and a resto druid.

Increase your poh/coh usage by a lot, focus less on tanks, hw:sanc is very good for any fights where you stack up (rhy,alys/beth)
    Doesn't the Sanct heal reduce dramatically above 6 players? oh and another question about Echo of Light, if I PoH first and then renew, won't the tiny instant heal from renew echo overwrite the big echo of light from PoH?

25man raids are much more relaxed to heal. You can typically afford a paladin healer and/or discpriest to deal with the tanks; and that means the remaining healers can focus on raid healing almost solely (don't be afraid to help the tankhealers out though!). The downside is that your raidhealers will generally end up sniping eachother quite a lot more. But try to get a feeling for how the other healers prioritize healing, and heal differently. It works, as long as everyone is consistent at least.

The major downside to 25man raiding is really that half the population of this game are stuck with incredibly crappy computers and/or internet connections which instantly die the moment any significant action occurs. Expect massive amount of timeouts and disconnects. My guild record was 7 independent disconnecting people within one fight. Expect to cover assignments from DCing healers at a moments notice.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]