FPS Ping international

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but..is there anyway to reduce ping so i can play with my friends in australia, i am currently in canada and they have less than 100 ping while i get 200+ ping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Proxy services are your only option im afraid.

Deleted
    Are proxy services going to somehow magically shrink the distance between Australia and Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuilas View Post
    Are proxy services going to somehow magically shrink the distance between Australia and Canada?
    It certainly will in regards to the length of data travel.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    And how exactly are you figuring that?

I'm sorry, but I'm not that good with computers, but shouldn't the information need to travel from Drunkdude101s computer regardles of proxy?

Surely a proxy would make things worse because it has to go through an extra node, slowing the direct connection.

10+ Year Old Account
    don't proxies increase latency as the information is passed through yet another chain?

damn, too slow >.>

edit: where is the server hosted? if you can, join on a server somewhere more "in the middle" that allows better latency "all round" (might be slightly slower for them, quicker for you, but more even overall), or is it their server?

And how exactly are you figuring that?
    Do you understand how internet traffic (routing) works?

Services like smoothping, lowerping, etc etc cut out a large portion of routing nodes and in turn travel less distance (yes, literal distance) to their destination.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    he sends the data to the proxy, the proxy sends it to their server, and vice versa? it still has to go from one place to another

(unless the proxy can connect faster than you, and you can connect to the proxy at speed, guess it's not neccesarily all that simple, but the "obvious" answer seems no)

i'm basically playing on servers that are good for them cause there is more of them than me so i deal with it but i was just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    don't proxies increase latency as the information is passed through yet another chain?

damn, too slow >.>

edit: where is the server hosted? if you can, join on a server somewhere more "in the middle" that allows better latency "all round" (might be slightly slower for them, quicker for you, but more even overall), or is it their server?
    Proxying through a VPN service designed for premium routing reduces routing hops, it doesn't increase them.

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    he sends the data to the proxy, the proxy sends it to their server, and vice versa? it still has to go from one place to another

(unless the proxy can connect faster than you, and you can connect to the proxy at speed, guess it's not neccesarily all that simple, but the "obvious" answer seems no)
    You should look at how internet backbones are situated. One routing option could travel from CA to Texas, over to Arizona, up to Chicago, then to Pennsylvania.

Then on the other hand you could proxy through a VPN from CA, connect to the VPN server, then travel a straight line across the US to the VPN's exit node, and to it's destination, reducing the physical distance traveled compared to standard ISP routing.

build pics

Deleted

Services like smoothping, lowerping, etc etc cut out a large portion of routing nodes and in turn travel less distance (yes, literal distance) to their destination.
    Yes, i'm entirely aware of how internet routing works. And while proxy services can cut out some additional distance they can't do anythin to cut down the thousands of miles of distance between Canada and Australia which is goin to be the major contributor to the increased ping times.

Yes, i'm entirely aware of how internet routing works. And while proxy services can cut out some additional distance they can't do anythin to cut down the thousands of miles of distance between Canada and Australia which is goin to be the major contributor to the increased ping times.
    Just try it. A lot of Oceanic players (including me) use smoothping/lowerping and it cuts WoW latency from 300-400+ to 100+. It reduces the number of jumps.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Indeed. Proxy is basically the only thing you can do besides moving house =P People who are saying "Derp a proxy would increase latentcy" don't understand how routing works. As for Linuilas's comment, it was never said that a Proxy would get rid of all latency, thats impossible, it would just improve it.