Deleted

Haste Or Mastery o.0

I recently went and leveled a priest and I am doing heroic firelands as disc spec and I'm still fairly new to it and I decided to focus a lot on mastery yet I've been looking at some Disc priest armories and they have way less mastery than I do but a lot more haste. So I was wondering do I want Mastery or Haste ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most people say get to around 11% unbuffed haste then stack mastery. It varies per your playstyle though. I like the feel of 11% haste personally so I usually hang around that mark and just go mastery from there.

Deleted
    I currently have 6.17% haste. And I have seen some builds take 3/3 Darkness aswell.

25 man or 10 man?
    tank or raid healer?
    there are so many threads here about stats for discipline priests, have you checked them? maybe one will contain answer to your question.

Deleted
    10 man.
    And Both.

Deleted
    tried recently, and I turned from full haste to full mastery :|

Quote Originally Posted by Zynest View Post
    10 man.
    And Both.
    Without parses, we really can't say what is "best" b/c we don't know your spell selection & eHPS over a bunch of fights.

Since that information isn't present, the best advice I can say is this. HST>MST for all spells other than PW:S. MST>HST for PW:S only. So, your ratio of HST to MST is entirely dependent on:

(1) Your efficiency and percentage of total damage resolved in using spells like PoH, GH, Penance, etc.
    (2) Your efficiency and percentage of total damage resolved in using PW:S

If your efficiency on all heals other than PW:S is good, and they comprise a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, then haste is for you.

If your efficiency on PW:S is good, and it comprises a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, then mastery is for you.

The reason why so many Discs are haste heavy these days is you can squeeze out better throughput by having a mix of all spells other than PW:S as a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, than leaning heavily on PW:S.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Without parses, we really can't say what is "best" b/c we don't know your spell selection & eHPS over a bunch of fights.

Since that information isn't present, the best advice I can say is this. HST>MST for all spells other than PW:S. MST>HST for PW:S only. So, your ratio of HST to MST is entirely dependent on:

(1) Your efficiency and percentage of total damage resolved in using spells like PoH, GH, Penance, etc.
    (2) Your efficiency and percentage of total damage resolved in using PW:S

If your efficiency on all heals other than PW:S is good, and they comprise a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, then haste is for you.

If your efficiency on PW:S is good, and it comprises a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, then mastery is for you.

The reason why so many Discs are haste heavy these days is you can squeeze out better throughput by having a mix of all spells other than PW:S as a significant, majority chunk of your total damage resolved, than leaning heavily on PW:S.
    After looking at my healing done on Alysrazor HC I did 4.21 M Healing with another 1.59 Million As Absorbs so it adds to 5.8 Million and it is about the same on every other fight aswell.

As spiritus says. But one more point - even if PoH is your top spell, mastery vs haste is still a toss-up. It depends a lot on how good your timing is, how exactly you've specced, whether you're keeping up with spiking mechanics, how big a problem overheal is for you, what other healers you're teamed with, and the list goes on and on.

It's a question of spike throughput vs efficient throughput. 1% haste should give you 40% more spike than 1% mastery. 1% mastery should give you 60% more efficiency than 1% haste. Ofc conversions complicate this result a bit, but there it is.

Without diving into a million details, really just understanding exactly how they both help you is the key, and gaining this understanding is best accomplished by trying both. You'll find the mastery build less forgiving on execution, the haste build less forgiving on mana.

The only time mastery is a clear loser is if you're a primary tank healer and don't lean heavily on PW:S. Today I'm raid healing AA/A and stacking haste with 2200 spirit. My main competitor raid heals SoS and stacks mastery with 2400 spirit. Her top heal is DA. Most parses I hit #2 on healing, she hits #1. We usually have very similar raw healing, but the fact that a larger percent of hers is DA puts her on top since DA rarely overheals.

Cheers,
    Last edited by zakaluka; 2011-10-06 at 06:15 PM.

After looking at my healing done on Alysrazor HC I did 4.21 M Healing with another 1.59 Million As Absorbs so it adds to 5.8 Million and it is about the same on every other fight aswell.
    Remember it's PW:S, not absorbs, that favor MST over haste, which sounds contrary, but because DA is tied to heals, and heals benefit most from haste, the relative value of MST for heals that proc DA is more connected to how efficient you are with your heals...

...actually I may have just confused you more than making things clearer. Switch tacts: I suggest reading Madam's Disc guide [link in my sig] before going any further with this.

I recently went and leveled a priest and I am doing heroic firelands as disc spec and I'm still fairly new to it and I decided to focus a lot on mastery yet I've been looking at some Disc priest armories and they have way less mastery than I do but a lot more haste. So I was wondering do I want Mastery or Haste ?
    You blind or u just like people work for you? There are stiky topics on main page that focus that but u cant afford to read?

Infracted. Please post constructively. [-Spiritus-]
    Last edited by [-Spiritus-]; 2011-10-06 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    I had a look at the thread you mention Spiritus and I'm going to give full haste a try next raiding week to see if i do more healing and how my mana is than I am doing now. Thanks for that thread by the way was an interesting read.

I had a look at the thread you mention Spiritus and I'm going to give full haste a try next raiding week to see if i do more healing and how my mana is than I am doing now. Thanks for that thread by the way was an interesting read.
    Np. A lot of times most of these types of questions are answered in guides. I let this thread go b/c the haste v. mastery question isn't nearly as cut and dry and deserves some discussion ever so often. Let us know how your haste weighting works out for you next week.

Question Answered. Locking Thread.