Deleted

Tip on how to gem a Chestpiece (Retri)

http://www.wowhead.com/item=71469/br...ifting-visions
    I have recently got this chest piece and as a retri pala I thought there was no attractive purple/green gem for it, so I went for two +40 strenght gems.
    But I've thought that the +20 strenght bonus was kinda attractive, so any idea how I can gem this one and benefit from it a little more? Perhaps +20 strength +20 hit rating. Thanks anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    This goes for all classes, and i dont know much about pally's. But look at it this way. If you gem 40 str, you get 40 str and nothing else. If you gem 20 str + 20 hit, you get 40str AND the 20 hit.
    Seems like a win situation to me. About the nice ret gems, i dont know anything about pally's as i said before, thus I wont be able to assist you with that.

Why not go for the hit? You give away 20 str that you will get back by gemming that way, which again turns into 20 hit you don't have to reforge into/additional hit you can reforge off into a better stat.

Like:

80 str, or
    80 str + 20 hit.

No. Screw socket bonuses, go straight strength as a ret pally. Miles and miles better than any other stat....as long as you're hit/exp capped.

General rule for DPS gemming.

Case 1: Red sockets with any stat bonus -> gem pure primary stat (int/agi/str)
    Case 2: 1 yellow/blue socket, bonus is +20 primary stat -> gem for the socket bonus, using an int/agi/str + ? gem. The socket bonus makes up for the gem split, giving you a free stat
    Case 3: 1 yellow/blue socket, bonus is +10 primary stat -> gem pure primary stat, int/agi/str are usually 2x better than any secondary stat
    Case 4: 2 yellow/blue sockets -> gem pure primary stat, unless the bonus is 30 primary stat or better, the bonus will not justify the loss of 40 primary stat

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzior View Post
    General rule for DPS gemming.

Case 1: Red sockets with any stat bonus -> gem pure primary stat (int/agi/str)
    Case 2: 1 yellow/blue socket, bonus is +20 primary stat -> gem for the socket bonus, using an int/agi/str + ? gem. The socket bonus makes up for the gem split, giving you a free stat
    Case 3: 1 yellow/blue socket, bonus is +10 primary stat -> gem pure primary stat, int/agi/str are usually 2x better than any secondary stat
    Case 4: 2 yellow/blue sockets -> gem pure primary stat, unless the bonus is 30 primary stat or better, the bonus will not justify the loss of 40 primary stat
    General rule for ret paladins: Forget all other gems. Put in a Bold Inferno Ruby. If you have some Chimera's Eyes laying around, through in a few of those too. But ya. Gem straight strength, ignore the sockets.

You should go for Bold inferno (+40 strength) unless the socket bonus is 20+ strength. If it is you should match the colour because then you'll get the +80 strength as if you put in two inferno's, whilst still getting any 20 in a different stat.

For blue sockets matching that criteria do +20 strength/+20 hit
    For yellow sockets matching that criteria do +20 strength/ +20 mastery

Edit: Also for the people suggesting to ignore all the sockets, basic maths indicates that anything with +20 strength or more has a clear benefit from matching the colour to get that bonus.
    Last edited by Paladin Racoon; 2011-10-06 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification

You know, for a kitten that shits rainbows, you seem to like to stay inside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by ChazleDazzle View Post
    General rule for ret paladins: Forget all other gems. Put in a Bold Inferno Ruby. If you have some Chimera's Eyes laying around, through in a few of those too. But ya. Gem straight strength, ignore the sockets.
    Hey, Common Sense here. I need to have a word with you.

Chestpiece linked above:
    Red socket
    Blue socket
    Socket bonus: +20 strength

If you gem straight strength: 80 strength total
    If you gem red strength and blue hit/strength: 80 strength total, +20 hit.

Regards,

Common Sense

Elitist jerks confirmed that pushing 378 item level you should be gemming for socket bonuses of +10 strength in 1 socket.

Also, if you don't use an etched Demonseye in your chest, you're just plain wasting the bonus because it is better even if you don't need the hit. Because the gem is cheaper.

Deleted
    Moving this to Paladin forums.

Deleted
    Wow you really fail at math OP. You go for 40 str + 40 str instead of 40 str + 20 str + 20 hit + 20 str. GG

Echoing others here but when you have a socket bonus of +20 str, then gem a 20 STR/something else gem, you still get the 40STR as if it was a red gem, but an additional 20 of another stat. For blue, go STR/Hit, and look into one of those reforging assistant mods, as it will help you get the most out of your reforging.

10+ Year Old Account
    Free stats are free. Even if you don't need the hit, go 20 Str/20 Hit. It gives you the same amount of Str as a pure Str gem and it frees up some Hit that you could possibly reforge off another piece of gear into Mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazleDazzle View Post
    No. Screw socket bonuses, go straight strength as a ret pally. Miles and miles better than any other stat....as long as you're hit/exp capped.
    he could go with str - spirit and still end up with the same str amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water