Deleted

"Casual" vs. "Serious"

I have been thinking about this for a while and I would like know at what point does one go from being a "casual" gamer to a "serious" gamer. I really do not see it, urely playing video games is about having fun so playing games is a casual activity.
    My second query regards people asking for "mature" players to join guilds in wow, I cannot fathom this statement as the game revolves largely around a fantasy world consisting of dragons and magic etc. features which are in any circumstances not what the "mature" people I know have interests in.

Please do not take this to be insulting at all I am simply asking a question because I am honestly confused.

Casual = playing when you have free time
    "Serious" = playing on a set schedule every week

Mature in terms of guild apps = Not getting offended by trivial shit, not acting like a drama-prone teenager
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    In my experience, guild drama in raids is caused just as much by adults as it is by players under 18. But to answer your question OP I agree with jsz

Quote Originally Posted by Anatorenator View Post
    I have been thinking about this for a while and I would like know at what point does one go from being a "casual" gamer to a "serious" gamer. I really do not see it, urely playing video games is about having fun so playing games is a casual activity.
    My second query regards people asking for "mature" players to join guilds in wow, I cannot fathom this statement as the game revolves largely around a fantasy world consisting of dragons and magic etc. features which are in any circumstances not what the "mature" people I know have interests in.

Please do not take this to be insulting at all I am simply asking a question because I am honestly confused.
    "Fool! Go die in a fire you NUB for asking that!"...

...when you begin to spout gibberish like my quote above, that's when you're a "serious" player (ie. Hardcore elitist jackass) :P

Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post

Mature in terms of guild apps = Not getting offended by trivial shit, not acting like a drama-prone teenager
    This.

Just because your serious does not mean your not having fun. I imagine that anything you like to do is what you would take seriously.

People want mature people because some people dislike drama. You'd be shocked with the type of drama that can ensure from an mmo and half of there you don't even encounter IRL.

Deleted

Well I play games when my work allows for extra time and though I plan to play on certain days I would not place my game time at higher priority than my work. Would this make me a casual gamer? Also I find that it is the people who claim to be looking for "mature players" that tend to flip out and lose it if I try and bring a little humour into guild chat.. It is a odd balance in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account

Nah, haha. I'm a very casual player, but I still raid. Raid schedules are just to keep 10-25 people organized in an attempt to get them all to sign in at the same time, nothing more than that. We're 6/7HM (which doesn't say much after nerfs) but we're all still pretty casual for the most part.

It's all about someone's attitude. A casual player has a casual attitude. He likes doing well, gems and chants his stuff, shows up for raids but if you look at him and ask him to spend another 1900g on an enchant/upgrade/etc to get an extra 70dps, he'll probably laugh at you. I mean come on it's 70 DPS.

Now the more serious (or commonly known hardcore) player would look at this situation differently. Yes, it's only 70 dps, but when you're min/maxing, 70 additional DPS is an instant nergasm. It's a pretty big deal. That's just how they have fun

However, let's not incorrectly assume that a casual is bad or that a hardcore player is good. (Just for future reference )
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I have no good answere. I will go with everyone is casual to some extent. Serious would be if you rage all the time, if you put an insane amount of time trying to achieve something no matter what goal you have, that is serious, playing a game for fun while being in a 5 raids/week guild goes under casual for me, aslong as you don't ruin your "IRL" by gaming.
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

10+ Year Old Account
    there are good & bad casuals, and good & bad serious raiders, its all about how you carry yourself to others. treat those the way you wish to be treated.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Nah, haha. I'm a very casual player, but I still raid. Raid schedules are just to keep 10-25 people organized in an attempt to get them all to sign in at the same time, nothing more than that. We're 6/7HM (which doesn't say much after nerfs) but we're all still pretty casual for the most part.

It's all about someone's attitude. A casual player has a casual attitude. He likes doing well, gems and chants his stuff, shows up for raids but if you look at him and ask him to spend another 1900g on an enchant/upgrade/etc to get an extra 70dps, he'll probably laugh at you. I mean come on it's 70 DPS.

Now the more serious (or commonly known hardcore) player would look at this situation differently. Yes, it's only 70 dps, but when you're min/maxing, 70 additional DPS is an instant nergasm. It's a pretty big deal. That's just how they have fun

However, let's not incorrectly assume that a casual is bad or that a hardcore player is good. (Just for future reference )
    This makes more sense to me, I would never consider myself a "serious" or even worse "hardcore" since I only play games for entertainment however like you when I play wow I do try my best and I enjoy getting new gear etc.

imho:

Hardcore = Primary focus is on PvE progression
    Casual = Primary focus on having fun. Progression is nice, but not a driver.

Mature = old enough where adults don't have to watch their language or worry about adult humor. Many folks will have to be more conscious if a 13 year old is in the raid, just like in RL. Imagine a group of 25+ year olds drinking beers and playing pool. Then, a 13 year old joins in the game. The 13 year old may be an awesome pool player and a really cool kid, but the 25+ year olds will not be acting the same way as before. Nothing against the 13 year old, but that is just how our current social dynamic often occurs. Not always.....but often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatorenator View Post
    This makes more sense to me, I would never consider myself a "serious" or even worse "hardcore" since I only play games for entertainment however like you when I play wow I do try my best and I enjoy getting new gear etc.
    Exactly! Yay for reading comprehension. (sincerely for a change.)
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    imho:

Hardcore = Primary focus is on PvE progression
    Casual = Primary focus on having fun. Progression is nice, but not a driver.

Mature = old enough where adults don't have to watch their language or worry about adult humor. Many folks will have to be more conscious if a 13 year old is in the raid, just like in RL. Imagine a group of 25+ year olds drinking beers and playing pool. Then, a 13 year old joins in the game. The 13 year old may be an awesome pool player and a really cool kid, but the 25+ year olds will not be acting the same way as before. Nothing against the 13 year old, but that is just how our current social dynamic often occurs. Not always.....but often.
    I see what you're saying but to me it's the "mature" players who can't handle any adult humour and consequently tell the others who are enjoying the joke to "stfu" or "grow up nub"

As long as humans are involved there will be Drama. Having been in several adult guilds were people are in the 30+ range and in guilds where people are more 18-25, I can say there will be drama regardless. The drama is normally about different things, less about Loot and what some might call material things and more about principal things about how John talks to Bobby.

Serious and Casual isn't simply about how much time you have to play, but how you want to commit said time. In the 30+ guild I was in, there were folks who played 10 hours a day every day, but never raided and rarely ran dungeons. Part of the catch was, is they didn't want to get "locked in" to something. They wanted to go AFK for 30-45 mins at a time without worry, they often played and watch TV at the same time, stop and help the kids with Homework...etc..etc.

@OP, In the context of asking for mature players, the medium has nothing to do with maturity. Doesn't matter if this is a Sci-Fi game, because there are still Humans behind those pixels. Sitting in Vent making Fart noises the entire raid is a maturity problem. Spamming Guild chat 50 times in ALL CAPS wanting someone to areana with them is a Maturity problem. Alt-F4 logging because you didn't win the loot roll is a Maturity problem. Not being able to fantom how Maturity plays a role playing with a group of people....is a maturity problem :P
    Just because you find your humor funny, doesn't mean others do. It may be well intentioned, But you have to know your crowd. Not always a maturity issue, other than a mature person understands when people don't find their jokes funny and moves on. People who lack maturity often want to argue back with "It was a Joke ! Lighten up ! What's the Big deal?! It's just a game LOLZ!"
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2011-10-06 at 09:56 PM.