10+ Year Old Account

Tracing a program

Ok. So found out that my "lag" problem is a software one...

Basically ran a huge number of tests and turns out that both my machines have a program or setting or something in Windows that is causing the switch to turn off approx every 3 seconds.

(basically booted off a live CD and had no problems.... vs regular boot with problems.)

There's a whole load of data I've collected to support this but it's not really worth posting, just trust that this is the problem.

The question is how do I go about finding out which program or piece of software it is that's causing the network problem.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Generally software related latency is firewall, anti virus, or virus.

Causing what to switch every 3 seconds?
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

15+ Year Old Account
    Could try to ctrl+alt+delete and see what is active.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If you have Windows 7 use the Resource Monitor, sort the Disk usage by total and the CPU but % use.
    So far I have found all the software hogs my PC and laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not quite what I mean....

I figured this would be a bit of a wild shot. Oh well.

1) Causing the network switch to turn itself off every 3 seconds (or so the ISP says) they described it as flopping.
    2) Whatever program it is isn't having any adverse affect to the local machine, just to the Network Switch.

I'm figuring my best solution is to wipe clean and start again see what the network latency is like on a fresh install (again)
    Although I have now expanded my 1tb external onto my 2tb internal and all my files won't fit (got some new ones, etc...) is it possible to create a partition on a raid drive (shouldn't make any difference to logical partitions right?) install windows on the new partition, copy the files over internally then delete the old partition?

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Generally software related latency is firewall, anti virus, or virus.
    A Virus or Anti-Virus is the only thing I can really think of. All of the software and drivers on the PC was downloaded fresh from the Net, and I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials on both machines.