Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Idea for Penance

Posted this on the WoW forums already, but having more input is always good!

Why not make penance be an instant cast ability with 3 charges? Press the spell once to activate, then just hit it again for each charge. Then add a small cooldown between charges so it can't be spammed, while allowing haste to lower that cooldown.

This would easily improve Discs mobile healing capability, and since the spell is already 3 small balls of light anyway you don't even need to change the spell effect!

Deleted
    isnt that basically what it is already?

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    As it stands it's a channeled spell. What I'm thinking is break it up so you can say, use one charge, move around, use another one, move again. You can't move while channeling Penance currently.

Ultimately, on initial use, it creates a buff with 3 charges, and with each consecutive use it uses a charge to heal your target.
    Last edited by Baelic; 2011-10-07 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    No, penance right now requires you to stand stil and channel the 3 hits to your target instead of place them there and make them heal at command.

10+ Year Old Account
    improve disc mobile healing
    isn't that what PW: S, PoM and Renew are for?
    Priest? What do you mean i'm a priest?
    I have dots, a pet and i can turn into a dark purple form with wings, i'm obviously a warlock!

Ya, having one spell which requires you to stand still for a couple seconds on a CD amongst a handful of instant cast spells doesn't really count as a limited mobility spec...

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Problem: You become essentially uninterruptible in PVP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this has been suggested before quite a few times.

Without damning it completely, because it would be nice, it would end up being pretty imbalanced in PvP.
    Penance is a pretty big heal accounting all three ticks. If you could do that while moving or even just before a fear or stunlock, it would be pretty imba. Also there'd be completely no possibility to interrupt and it's not a HoT that could be removed.
    A better fix would be to lower the CD and mana cost if you have to move after one/two tick(s). That way you can use it more often while moving at a reduced cost, but you'd still have to stand still if you need that big heal.
    Or divide the current mana cost into thirds and charge per tick - that way you can use individual ticks when you need to move around.
    Or just leave it.
    Last edited by Tenderoni; 2011-10-07 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderoni View Post
    A better fix would be to lower the CD and mana cost if you have to move after one/two tick(s). That way you can use it more often while moving at a reduced cost, but you'd still have to stand still if you need that big heal.
    Or divide the current mana cost into thirds and charge per tick - that way you can use individual ticks when you need to move around.
    Or just leave it.
    That actually sounds like a good compromise compared to my idea, just feels like there's not much you can do when you're having to move constantly (mainly in PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by Backreaper View Post
    isn't that what PW: S, PoM and Renew are for?
    this
    10 chars

The only skill that could have used charges would be PW:S before they nerfed the manacost. ~3 charges, ~10 second cooldown per charge so raidbubbling wouldn't be possible (since that was the reason back then why it got nerfed in the first place).

15+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see Penance heal more the first hit. Would improve this "emergency" heal a lot.

Deleted
    I would actually like to see penance heal less, and maybe cost more mana but be able cast while moving. If you have ever done alysrazor you would know that it's such a cool animation.

Deleted
    The best thing is when someone opens a thread saying "brilliant idea"

Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    I would actually like to see penance heal less, and maybe cost more mana but be able cast while moving. If you have ever done alysrazor you would know that it's such a cool animation.
    I'm not sure about it being cast on the move. I actually don't like penance on Alysrazor. I could be running toward a meteor for firestorm (in Heroic) or a Tornado, penance someone, and it completely changes the direction of my character to channel it to whoever I'm healing. I've never died from it, but its one more thing to think about.Maybe there is a setting to take that off but I'm not really sure
    Stay gold ponyboy, stay gold.

Instant - No (pvp reason)
    Channeled and being able to move - yes plz (bliz intensions early cata)

^Or make both work only during the Inner Focus buff... but usig focus with penence would be a relative waste :S

dont really see the need to change it.

sure, it would be fun to be able to cast penance on the move, but i would assume that hen every other healing class would ask for some bonus like that as well

more instant cast spells, yay!

I like it, but to make the idea more robust, Penance is on a 10sec [glyphed] CD right? So, instead of modifying the penance spell, remove it all together and simply make a new UI feature/resource for disc with 3 charges that independently regenerate every 10sec [like DK runes], and have the charges allow for multiple uses. You could heal with one [Instant cast 1sec GCD], DPS with one [Instant cast 1 sec GCD], buff absorbs, healing, & damage on next spell for X% [IC - off-CGD], or cause an additional affect to an ability [e.g. -- additional X% crit on IF, increase movement speed in IW by X% additive, etc].

Of course, mana would have to be balanced around again and blah, blah, blah. Oh, and PvP? Nah, not buying it as completely unbalancing as long as trees are around. Might it need tweaking? Sure, but it most certainly isn't an outright "no."

10+ Year Old Account
    Billy Joel said it best, "I love you just the way you are" please don't change Penance.