Poll: LoL, HoN or DoTa

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasy View Post
    LoL seems pretty much to me like "amg u nab ur no pro so gtfo" pretty much, don't know why, that was my first impression of the game, and from that time i swore that I'll never install that game on my PC, and I'm definitely going to keep that promise.
    Maybe things have changed since all of the other MOBAs came out, but back when DotA was THE thing to play, no one would ever let you try to learn how to play. Every game was "no noobs" and would auto-boot you if you didn't have the map downloaded already. Then, when you played a "noob" game, there was usually a good player in there just trying to boost his ego. I'm not saying LoL doesn't have that in the community, but look at every online game and you'll see those parts of it.

OT: I've played all of them and I would say that I did prefer DotA, but I like LoL and HoN a lot more now that I've been playing them. I'd have to give my favor to LoL out of the two though, but probably because a lot of my friends play it and that makes any game more fun. I love the characters in LoL, there are very few that I don't enjoy playing and they are always getting new updates. I only wish you could deny creeps.

I'll be getting DoTa 2 probably. I don't like the style of LoL and I stopped playing HoN since my computer was crap.

Now when I can get my hands on DoTa 2, I will probably get it, since I liked the Original and I like Valves games all in all. Supporting them is always nice.

But all three are fine. It's just that I never get time to actually get good at it or make out a strategy with the characters, because people snap at me for being a beginner. D:
    Kinda sad since they are so fun to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Seriously this. I'm a high-speed, low-drag, supah-healah. Doling out the feel-goods LIKE A BAWS, keeping everyone shiny, happy and cool. Staying on top of my game, even in a combat situati....THERE'S THAT DAMN GROUNDHOG AGAIN!!!

DoTA has a much higher skill cap than LoL however that is what makes LoL more popular. For casual play LoL is much better but if you are talking about e-sports it is hard to beat DoTA.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was trying to answer that post, but at this point, I was sure it was just trollish.

For example no search feature, as someone starting fresh I've been using builds from guides on Mobafire but it's very annoying when I see an item I need to buy next and I have no idea which sub-category it's in.
    Are you seriously suggestioning that it is easier to know if a Boots of Speed is an "Artifact" or a "Relic" rather than search by the MOVEMENT SPEED filter? I can't believe you actually said that.

(next thing might be serious posts...)

The dragon is 190g to everyone in the team which is cool, but there are dragons in HoN which are pretty much the same thing. (Strong dragons, pack of 3, up to 400g).
    Unless it was patched after I quit, the "Strong Dragons" only give gold to the hero that last hitted and XP to the people in the area.

As for the pudge hook being "hard to hit" unless I'm wrong there's a skill exactly like this in LoL, I believe the hero that has it is called 'Blitzcrank'?
    Blitzcrank's grab gets the first target it hits. Pudge's hook - unless they patched it after I quit DotA - goes on the exactly spot that you clicked; if the opposing hero is 3 pixels away from your hook, you missed.

waiting for Blizzard dota because I want to play as Raynor and shoot Sylvanas in her face!.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started with DotA, the Warcraft:TFT-Mod? Map? whatever... played allrandom, all the time... til I started WoW

Then about 2months ago I started playing LoL, well its the same game just with other heroes and menu and stuff... and its still entertaining, but there are many things I dont like about it: matchmaking on normal games, that you have to buy your heroes, that you have to buy Runes to compete with others...
    but I like that every month a new hero comes out...

I never played HoN.

and I didnt vote.

Deleted
    Out of the three, HoN is the clear winner.

Shortest stick goes to LoL. Dumbed down mechanics comparing to the original DotA, with nothing added besides runes which do nothing except create imbalance to the game before match has even started. Coming from DotA, it just feels so much is lacking that DotA stays ahead of this. Pacing is slowest of the three, and the mechanics (lack of them) make this the easiest to learn. And I personally don't like the graphical style of it. And for reference, I also don't like the style of DotA2 (Dota1 / WC3 was fine though).

The middle one is DotA. Still the original, and inspiration to the other two. Mechanics are more complicated than in LoL, but the map suffers from the limitations of WC3.

And HoN is the winner. It was created as improved DotA, and it succeeded in that. After I got to try HoN in beta late 2010, I haven't played a single game of DotA after that. It removed the limitations of WC3, thus adding in better game experience but still felt like the original. Especially true back in the late 2010 when it was still in beta with not much S2 stuff added in, but a lot has changed now. For the better though, but as said I don't have experience of DotA after late 2010 so I can't say how it has changed. Also graphically most pleasant to my eye, but can get confusing in teamfights with lots of spell effects going.

As for DotA2, in my opinion it brings nothing new to the table that the other two competitors don't already have. Matchmaking, in-game voice comms, all that stuff is seen already in LoL and HoN, it is just bringing the original DotA up to the modern day. It is like it's not even trying to improve upon itself with engine limitations removed besides the obvious things like graphics and the stuff already mentioned. So guess I'll stick to HoN.

I went for LoL since I think it has the same advantage over DoTA as WoW has over the other MMO's. LoL has two years of perfecting behind it, that means a lot of new champs, new mechanics, A NEW MODE, and sweet artstyle. Dota, on my opinion is dated even before it's release.

Deleted
    Hurry up Valve,hurry up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Hurry up Valve,hurry up ...
    I know man....I know

havent rly played hon as its not as popular around, LoLs graphics make me puke and suicidal(lol@disney graphics for 4yos), waiting on dota2 to actually have something decent to play.

i prefer hon, i like to be able to at least deny when the other team has complete lane control. played LoL for a bit but stopped playing cause it just didnt feel good. dota up through the early 6.x's was good. hopefully dota2 doesnt stray to far from the original in terms of feel.
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Blitzcrank's grab gets the first target it hits. Pudge's hook - unless they patched it after I quit DotA - goes on the exactly spot that you clicked; if the opposing hero is 3 pixels away from your hook, you missed.
    Works exactly the same way. Pudge hook always travels the full distance unless it hits something.

Same way in HoN, search me and Devo is in my top 5 - Gimla

And LoL having a new mode? Yes but in the end it is still all pick. Dota had like 5 different picking methods that LoL does not have, these transferred to HoN.

LoL is for newbies and shit players (mostly low-skill/brain ppl, with only a few exceptions of professionals).
    Dota is for pro/hc players (there is a high skill req. to be apple to play the game effectively, thus making it fun. since its no fun on low skill noobs leave it pretty soon).
    HoN is between this two (dota with better gfx. since pro dota players are loyal to the original one only low-mid skilled people here, who can play with only the same class of players. also nice graphics keeps more low ppl in)

Dota2 is a mix of this three, but i think it will lose whats good in the original dota: high skill req (they have to lower it to make the game more attractive, and make more profit.)

choose the group you belong into, and pick the assigned game.
    Last edited by Rewiag; 2011-10-07 at 11:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL vs HoN: HoN may have the worse community and designers (it also reflects in the comments in this thread), but gameplay-wise I still find it to be the better game. Everything from the mechanics to the shop feels more natural and logical. Plus, if there's one thing I've learned from WoW, it's to stay away from games that cater to lots of people.

Also, to everyone arguing that Eul and/or Guinsoo, the 'original' developers of DotA, worked (or are still working) for Riot - you do realize that DotA was shit back when they were working on it, right? It's Icefrog who brought it to what it is today. And just so you know, Icefrog HAS worked for S2. It's one of the reasons why HoN actually 'borrowed' a few heroes from DotA. It was his idea.

DotA vs HoN: DotA would've been a clear winner if not for the fact that the WC3 engine is severely outdated, and there's just too much that you have to do in order to even remotely enjoy a game. And it has by far the worst community out of the 3 games.

I'll definitely be moving to Dota 2 as soon as possible, though. Judging from The International tourney vids, it looks and feels absolutely gorgeous.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2011-10-07 at 11:45 PM.

Deleted
    LoL = easy to learn and you can jump right in, but not really challenging IMHO. (dumbed down version of DotA)
    HoN = brutal to new players who dont play the tutorial , learn the game and then play it (clone of DotA + better graphics)
    DotA = mother of the genre (Kardel Sharpeye FTW !!!!)

DotA>HoN>my mom>LoL

but its a personal decision

I have been playing DotA since 2006. I've tired HoN when it was on its beta state, but I didnt like it too much. Ive never tried LoL cuz I dont really care about it. So, clearly DotA for me and looking forward for DotA 2. I hope they can somehow reduce the bad gameplay experience caused by leavers, bad hosts, and retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    I was trying to answer that post, but at this point, I was sure it was just trollish.

Are you seriously suggestioning that it is easier to know if a Boots of Speed is an "Artifact" or a "Relic" rather than search by the MOVEMENT SPEED filter? I can't believe you actually said that.

(next thing might be serious posts...)

Unless it was patched after I quit, the "Strong Dragons" only give gold to the hero that last hitted and XP to the people in the area.

Actually none of my post was a troll.

About the search thing, you misunderstood, As someone just starting out the only way I know what items to buy for my champion is from the guides on Mobafire.com, I have the page opened on my other monitor while in game on my main monitor and so if I see an item that's called say.. Infinity Blade or something and I can't see the stats or anything on Mobafire I can only see the name so a search feature in the shop would make things much easier.

As for the dragon thing you're right only the last hitter gets the gold but it's a lot more and theyre arguably easier to kill than the dragon in LoL, but the dragon in LoL isn't a big deal, it's only 190g per person + XP for people in range, and there's 8 of them on the map at any one time.

Blitzcrank's grab, if it's how you described is the exact same as Devourer/Pudges hook. It doesn't matter where you click it will grab the first thing it hits, wether it's an enemy, a team-mate or a creep.