Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    If I were to pick what I feel was my biggest fall for a marketing hype then I would probably have to go with 3D Cinema (can't think of anything else and you've inspired me). When they built the 1st IMAX theatre in my country everyone was like "woot, that's awesome!", they didn't even play regular movies, only documentaries that weren't of much interest to me... But I went, paid a lot of money only to find out how crappy it was - especially as a person with glasses.
    Yeah, I went to IMAX when it first opened near me, and it was pretty cool from what I remember, even though it was some dumb documentary on global warming. I was like "whoooaaa holy shit 3D" with all the crap popping out in front of my face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zehroh View Post
    Aion Tower of Eternity
    Gaming wise - this. I bought CE just to find out game was overhyped crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Atari Jaguar

"Fuck Nintendo and Sega, WE'RE 64-BIT MOTHERFUCKER!!!"

*console dies out due to lack of good games and horrid controller*

Also a good deal of Sega products back in the day were all hype, like the CD/32x.
    God I remember these T_T
    One of my friends actually picked up a Jaguar a while later because stores were selling them DIRTCHEAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison View Post
    Gaming wise - this. I bought CE just to find out game was overhyped crap.
    Haha did the same... never lvled to lvl30 for the wings because the first 30lvls were boring. Played too much beta. ><

After thinking about the real subject of the thread I bought an expensive headset a while ago. 2 months later it was broken. Sound malfunctions etc QQ

i once bought chef tony's miracle blade set very bad knifes

Every apple product >.>

Being a programmer I can see the values of a unix based system but honestly having to pay nearly double the price for something that runs exactly the same with other companies just to get the name and the hype about it, no thank you. On top of that the OS has many compatibility issues that most don't understand until they have the computer in their lap. Good example is how all the mac users in my 2D Game Design class need to vbox windows just to run UDK (ya my teacher is a moron UDK != a good 2D game design engine)

Even though I dislike apple I still respect the company for what they did

RIP Steve Jobs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Well there is that. I'm surprised Apple released something that's entirely a platform update and not an aesthetic update at all. Not that it's bad or anything.

However, my point is, US wireless carriers are all kinds of fail.
    Have you seen a product called the iPhone 3GS - no aesthetic update at all - History suggested this update over an aesthetic update

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 03:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Apple are gambling big on Siri. Hardware wise, its not even released yet but is already set to be outdated in short order - and the 33% loss of Standby time hasn't exactly been appreciated either - considering it was already poor.

For already (perceived) delayed hardware; thats a dangerous game. The thing was hyped to oblivion - and what was delivered was barely an improvement.
    Crucially it wasn't hyped or delayed by Apple. Rumours abounded and everyone believed them. I'd say that's the rumourmongers fault and hardly Apple. Agree on the Standby time however I completely disagree on it barely being an improvement. I'm not going to highlight all the hardware changes as google is your friend but they are fairly compelling. If they aren't enough for you then like me you will wait for the iPhone 5 or move to a different platform. Consumer choice at it's finest.
    Last edited by mmocd5d157df95; 2011-10-07 at 02:24 PM.

Deleted
    HD DVD!! Bought one of these players not long after release......yeah total fail.

In regards to the DvD rewinder

I use to be the manager of a movie gallery. It was on the more "senior" side of town in Tallahassee. I had numerous phone calls from older customers asking how to rewind their DvD.

Blizzard Headset... biggest mistake in headset's I have ever made...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reffio View Post
    Crucially it wasn't hyped or delayed by Apple.
    Hype is hype, regardless of source. It was 'delayed' in the sense that it did not follow the typical release pattern, coming out far later in the year than usual.
    I'm not going to highlight all the hardware changes as google is your friend
    I'm aware of the hardware changes - but I'm also aware of their actual impact and end-effect.
    If they aren't enough for you then like me you will wait for the iPhone 5 or move to a different platform.
    I opted out of purchasing an iPhone three years ago. My stance on that has not changed.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-07 at 03:06 PM.

I enjoy my 3dvison. Admittedly I don't use it all the time. Also, I just have one monitor for it. My 2nd is for artwork/surfing net while playing games and doesn't support 3d. But its a cool addition to games that I don't see really dying out, or as a fad. Hell, a lot of games that don't even support it run the 3d just fine. I see it being a simple addition to games going on into the future that isn't a huge deal and occasionally some games will try to cater to it.

For as fail purchases go... I think all my computer hardware has been great purchases for the most part (given, I didn't need, or really use, that steering wheel back in the 90s, but it was $15 bucks). But in fail gaming purchases....
    Rift
    Dragon Age 2

and if I go really far back, Finally Fantasy Mystic quest... oh god how can Square fail so bad? T_T

I was overly excited for the 3DO when it first came out. It was very meh, it and Sega CD at the time. Kind of innovative for way back then but man did it suck.

Sony Mini-Disc.

They tried so hard to make it look cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Is the point of this product to rewind a DVD like you would rewind a cassette tape?

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Is the point of this product to rewind a DVD like you would rewind a cassette tape?

lol
    I think its only purpose is to swindle money from those who do not understand DVD's or just didn't bother to try things before panicing and asking for outside help.

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post

lol
    Yes. Fooled a ton of old people that were used to VHS tapes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".