Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Ah yes, Square Enix. Where they'd refuse whatsoever to assist with claiming your account back, or even cancelling your subscription. Only way was to issue chargebacks.

"Whats that Square Enix, Credit Card companies now have you on a blacklist? Guess you should've though about that before being stupid."
    Ah yes, Square Enix, where they still believe that an onscreen keyboard actually is safer than a regular one.

Deleted
    lol ive done that for ages man, works perfecktly fine, its fast, its awsome, and ive never posted my own PW on trade or anything =)

Deleted
    Moving to the computer section.

Generally Keyloggers read input at a command line/kernal level. If you really want to be safe get an auth. TBH there is no way to be safe when typing in a password because no matter how it is inputed, cpy/paste, regular or macro. The computer enters each character seperatly or as a string and the logger will catch it reguardless. Another solution is to move to linux

finaly something to do with my g-buttons
    thanks mate !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    I trust the Authenticator so much that I will write my wow password here: [...]
    Eh.
    Just make your password 11111 or such? I mean, why have a password like we9ix29d when you trust your authenticator so much that you post it anyway? 11111 is much more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by choww View Post
    Eh.
    Just make your password 11111 or such? I mean, why have a password like we9ix29d when you trust your authenticator so much that you post it anyway? 11111 is much more practical.
    Because after 2-3 years I write/remember that just as fast/well as 1111111

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohle View Post
    As I don't call them anything, (f e: my wow password has the name macro 22) which is kinda hard to figure out if you are not aware what 22 is. (key: w is below 2 = WoW = WW = 22)
    That's really pointless. You can just go ahead and name the macro WoW. If something's on your computer that can read that, you've already lost anyway. So it stays in the background and checks when the macro is used - you won't even know you have a trojan/been rooted/whatever until it's too late.
    Security by obscurity doesn't work. It only makes it harder for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kohle View Post
    Does anyone know a keylogger that registers anything other than your key pressing?
    The only thing you may be able to "trick" are hardware keyloggers, that are between your keyboard and your computer. Pretty much every software keylogger will get the actual keypresses sent to the application, id est, your full macro.

From the security point of view, it's bad, because anyone getting on your computer will have immediate access to all the information that's already stored there.

Here's your answer. /thread.

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    Because after 2-3 years I write/remember that just as fast/well as 1111111
    After 2-3 years, you'll type 11111 faster as your other password (seeing you don't need to reposition your fingers). In act, you may even use 10101 so you can use two fingers, and get the maximum speed out of it (as lowering and raising your finger does take a few milliseconds). Come to think of it, 10101 is a good password if you trust your authenticator.

I type my actual password (which is randomly generated numbers and letters, with non-ascii characters - so actually even stronger :> ) really fast too, but I usually don't post it (unless I wanted to show off). If I were habitually posting my password in public forums, however, then I'd just make it 11111, because, why bother making a complicated one (unless, again, I wanted to show off).

But oh well. Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by mmocc24a3db56c; 2011-10-07 at 02:08 PM.

And that's the reason I hate windows so much, it's easy to build a custom keylogger takes about 20 minutes of your time, runs one process without using any mem and cpu power and logs your keys and sends it to a server you as builder designated.

O.T. it's not safe but authenticator is. And if you use a designated wow password plus multiple email adress you ought to be safe. In my 6.5 years of wow I have never been hacked and haven't changed my password since I create the account, just being careful works!

As others have said, that macro on your G button is no more safe than just typing it in normal. But it is a convenient macro to have. Back in the day before the days of authenticators, I have G button macros for mine two accounts and a few of my friends accounts to log in at the press of a button. Very convenient.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...monzi/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by Crokey View Post
    You know you just wrote 7 paragraphs about some people you have never met, playing a computer game in a way you disagree with?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by choww View Post
    Depending on the password, it can actually easily be slower because its a repetetive motion from one finger - and you cannot utilize all 10 of the ones you have at your disposal.

Deleted
    The G keys on my G15 are unused and way out of my normal typing range. I have my password + enter set on G1, never ever have pasted it into anything other than the password box in WoW. Pretty cool if you have a DC.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doenst sound rly save to me, unless G keys encrypt your password/text, otherwise anyone can keylog the macro, i mean it will just go as plain text lol.

But ye, the authenticator will save your regardless
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I use KeePass.

• It can create random passwords of varying length that even the user won't really know.
    • It keeps the usernames, passwords, notes, etc in an encrypted database (SHA-256) using a master password.
    • It can be used to auto-type username and password (customizable typing sequence, per application), with the trigger being ctrl+alt+a.
    • It clears the clipboard within seconds of use (if you decide to manually copy the password).
    • It uses in-memory encryption, so even a dump of system memory while the program is loaded won't reveal passwords.
    • The auto-type feature has some keylogger protection, as it uses a double pass method to slightly obfuscate passwords in the input stream

There's plenty of other security features, and as a nifty little note, it's an NSA approved security application.
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Personally, I use KeePass.

• It can create random passwords of varying length that even the user won't really know.
    • It keeps the usernames, passwords, notes, etc in an encrypted database (SHA-256) using a master password.
    • It can be used to auto-type username and password (customizable typing sequence, per application), with the trigger being ctrl+alt+a.
    • It clears the clipboard within seconds of use (if you decide to manually copy the password).
    • It uses in-memory encryption, so even a dump of system memory while the program is loaded won't reveal passwords.
    • The auto-type feature has some keylogger protection, as it uses a double pass method to slightly obfuscate passwords in the input stream

There's plenty of other security features, and as a nifty little note, it's an NSA approved security application.
    Website
    Wow man, that's so safe it's....... useless.....
    If the harddrive with the encrypted database on it ever fails you're utterly @#&*(ed and definately won't ever play WoW again.
    Come on. It's just a game. There's no need to go jumping through hoops for it.

Next to that: If it's NSA approved you can rest assured that it has a backdoor of some kind. You may be safe from chinese foldgarmers but the NSA knows every password in that database. Personally: I'd trust the chinese before I trust the NSA.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Croga View Post
    If the harddrive with the encrypted database on it ever fails you're utterly @#&*(ed and definately won't ever play WoW again.

Next to that: If it's NSA approved you can rest assured that it has a backdoor of some kind. You may be safe from chinese foldgarmers but the NSA knows every password in that database. Personally: I'd trust the chinese before I trust the NSA.
    It'd take them thousands of years to crack the key used in the encryption.

probably not a good idea unless you type like 10 words a minute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    but if it exists, it can be found.
    I like to say :"Everything that has been made by man, can be unmade by man."
    Especially when it comes down to computers.

Try changing your password every three months. That's 4 passwords a year and a much better security then assigning it to a macro key
    Feral Druids are the most "feared" class in PvP.
    Warodl - Warod

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Croga View Post

1. Backup to dropbox.
    2. I type less characters logging in using KeePass than I do manually logging in.
    3. I also use KeePass to have a random 32-character password that differs on each website I visit, just in case their servers get hacked.

Yep. Useless.

Deleted
    I find this relevant to this thread that went slightly offtopic.