Light side vs. Dark side

I have been looking around and reading, but I do not see the point so far of going light side or dark side. From what I see it does not affect the guild you can join, that is based on faction, it does not affect the spells you get.

Does this really only change the story line? What happens if I want to be a dark sith and my buddy wants to be a light sith, can we still do flashpoints together?

If I completely missed something please help me out, if I haven't what is the reason to even pay attention to this apart from RP.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far, from what the Devs had said it affects the gear you can get. Some gear requires Dark Side +2 or Light Side +5 or whatever it is.

Yes, you can still do flashpoints/raids/anything with anyone regardless of the differences in morality. Morality just changes your own personality story, it doesn't affect the multiplayer experience.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    So far, from what the Devs had said it affects the gear you can get. Some gear requires Dark Side +2 or Light Side +5 or whatever it is.
    Hrrmmmm, as long as players won't be forced to choose and alignment because fo gear then I'm all for this. I.E., the BiS set is +4light for a Jedi and +4 Dark for Sith.
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adeodatus View Post
    Hrrmmmm, as long as players won't be forced to choose and alignment because fo gear then I'm all for this. I.E., the BiS set is +4light for a Jedi and +4 Dark for Sith.
    No, you won't have to worry about your moral choices affecting your gearing choices. Light IV gear is equal to Dark IV gear, regardless of side. I'm not sure if they have added the Neutral gear yet, but they've said they want to have Neutral gear that's equal also. The main difference of the gear will be in the looks. Dark side gear will be black, dark reds, etc with a hood that covers some/most of the face (as an example). Light side will be more cheery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    No, you won't have to worry about your moral choices affecting your gearing choices. Light IV gear is equal to Dark IV gear, regardless of side. I'm not sure if they have added the Neutral gear yet, but they've said they want to have Neutral gear that's equal also. The main difference of the gear will be in the looks. Dark side gear will be black, dark reds, etc with a hood that covers some/most of the face (as an example). Light side will be more cheery.

Like a clown outfit?

Some differences taken from my post in a similar thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...sitor-plz-help
    2011-10-01

I think these are some of the differences in morality

1) Different quests - some NPC's will like you and give quests, other "evil" ones won't like you. An example would be saving a NPC and lying to your superiors about their death (saved NPC now offers quests), versus killing the NPC (you made friends with other NPC's now and they offer different quests)
    2) Different personal experience while playing .. unclear on personal story and final outcome of class story..
    3) Different gear sets
    4) Different interaction with companions - some will despise you for going good, while others will like you better
    5) Roleplaying aspects
    6) Different character titles, ie "Darth" is reserved for the most evil of evil

might be others.. that's what I gathered from various released info + Q&A info .. some points might be muddled with other speculation from commentaries, so correct me if I'm wrong

edit: also read something earlier on TorWars that different item modding choices will or may exist for items requiring various moralities (allignment). Item modding sounds like a way to make characters a bit more unique via changing armor color (if I understood that correctly).

Oh and I don't think there are any grouping limitations with morality. That would be a nightmare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winkle View Post
    Like a clown outfit?
    Fear the might of my flying air conditioner as I laugh at down the brim of my giant red nose!
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Since I don't want to break the NDA, I will repeat what I have seen that is true.
    1) Different quests - some NPC's will like you and give quests, other "evil" ones won't like you. An example would be saving a NPC and lying to your superiors about their death (saved NPC now offers quests), versus killing the NPC (you made friends with other NPC's now and they offer different quests)
    2) Different personal experience while playing .. unclear on personal story and final outcome of class story..
    3) Different gear sets
    4) Different interaction with companions - some will despise you for going good, while others will like you better
    5) Roleplaying aspects
    6) Different character titles, ie "Darth" is reserved for the most evil of evil

the BiS set is +4 light for a Light Force User and +4 Dark for Dark Force User.

Remember you can be a Light Sith and a Dark Jedi.

Ok but does it affect non jedi too? what would a dark side trooper be? black armor instead of white?

Deleted
    Storm Troopers wore white! Who's to say one colour = evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Storm Troopers wore white! Who's to say one colour = evil?
    Storm troopers were not evil. They were victims of the real imperials who put blinders in their helmets so they cant hit anything. Someone should make a movie on the plight of the stormtroopers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffaa View Post
    Ok but does it affect non jedi too? what would a dark side trooper be? black armor instead of white?
    It does affect them, although I've only ever seen Lightsabers and Lightsaber crystals yet that have a light or darkside requirement.

Deleted
    At the end of the day its more of a bonus feature to the game, and players should go with what they enjoy or prefer for their character/s, not because of any "end" result. It's to help you enhance personality and appearance of you're character/s.