Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlubQ View Post
    Unless you arent playing Minecraft -> you dont need so much ram for those games ^_^
    You need ram for minecraft, a lot, if you're using a 256x256 texture pack

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    No such thing as too much RAM.[COLOR="red"]
    Then you have too small of a power supply. You need to figure ram and all storage drives when figuring out the size of power supply you need.
    See

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    This is something many people overlook. More DIMMs is more strain on the IMC (or northbridge, if you're on an old platform), which can require more QPI/VTT/VCCIO voltage. This can either generate more heat or put you at a point where you're starting to hit vCore or QPI/VTT/VCCIO voltage limits.

For an overclocker, more DIMMs isn't always a good thing.
    RAM, storage devices and a reasonable amount of low power accessories are almost irrelevant (for overall power consumption) if you're buying a decent (and large, obviously this wouldn't apply to a <=150w mITX HTPC) power supply and not trying to run it at 90%+ capacity. The problem is that it stresses the memory controller in the CPU or NB on pre-Nehalem Intel CPUs (not sure when AMD started using on CPU IMCs) which can result in worse performance. If you're running at stock or lower there should be no problems but if you're running above the specs you may find yourself having more trouble with extra DIMMs.

Have 48GB of ram, enjoy the ability to run 5-6 Different games at once, and never need to close them down.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Have 48GB of ram, enjoy the ability to run 5-6 Different games at once, and never need to close them down.
    Let me guess..... x58 board with the rare and fairly expensive 8GB sticks?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Khallkaroth View Post
    Title says it all, I'm sitting on 12GB DDR3 RAM. For playing some of the current MMOs and maybe a round or two of TF2, is this too much RAM for me to get full use of?
    To get full use of yea it might be too much, however thats the point...you dont want to get FULL use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Let me guess..... x58 board with the rare and fairly expensive 8GB sticks?
    he probably means 49.2gb since the little on the end makes a gig lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    its not overkill. anyone who says it must think that ddr4 is coming out pretty soon /tinfoilhat you can get 16gb of ram for like $120 right now. rams dirt cheap now a days.
    So cheap/expendable that when I called up newegg about some dead RAM, they said don't even bother mailing them back and sent me 2 brand new DIMMs.
    New and shiny compppppp!

Quote Originally Posted by Icpie View Post
    So cheap/expendable that when I called up newegg about some dead RAM, they said don't even bother mailing them back and sent me 2 brand new DIMMs.
    Ive actually heard of this happening on MOBO's and GFX cards as well. Depends on the rep.

It's not too much if you happen to run Vista lololol

With the current price of DDR 3 RAM 12gb is more then justified. It will cost you the same to get 6gb at this point.
    And who knows maybe you decide to use your PC for things outside of gaming.

I got a 3ds Max file that on a 16gb system used 15gb for Max alone. That was just the loaded scene. It would use even more if I was going to render it out in a single pass.
    High poly sculpting in Mudbox also uses memory like crazy.

I'm building a new rig and ended up going with 16GB (4x4 ddr3-1600) since memory prices are dirt cheap right now (16gb was $70)