Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Side windows and GPU's

I've got a constant thorn in my side now - my Storm Sniper's side window. Clear and beautiful, it allows me to peek inside my case and let me see all the fans/components at a glance.
    It also raises my GTX580's peak temps by 10c, and I'm not exaggerating. At first I thought, "yeah I'm overclocking, obviously temps will be higher" but by how much?

I did two 1-hour tests with Crysis 2 multiplayer, something which easily forces the GPU to max usage and also loads all CPU cores making them come *somewhat* close to Prime95's loads (crazy eh?) though not often.

> Test 1: side window on, 1 hour gaming session.
    > Test 2: side window removed and a 320mm fan (that's right, a desk fan) lightly blowing air into the side of the case from 3 feet away at it's lowest speed. 1 hour gaming session.

Since multiplayer rounds typically last 10 mins with 1 min breaks there were dips and peaks in GPU usage.
    MSI Afterburner was used to overclock and monitor temps.

Case fans:
    Intake: 1x 200mm CM Megaflow (front)
    Exhaust: 1x 200mm CM Megaflow (top), 1x 120mm CM Sickleflow (rear)
    Other fans:
    CPU: 2 x 120mm CM Blademasters
    GPU: 2x 80mm Asus
    PSU: 1x 120mm San Ace
    Fan controller set to lowest, otherwise the case sounds like a jet engine.

GPU Overclocks: 900mhz core, 2150mhz memory, @ 1.138v

Test 1 peaks: 83c, 83c, 85c, 85c, 84c
    Test 2 peaks: 72c, 74c, 76c, 73c, 75c

Holy mother of ponies. My side window is literally strangling my GPU of air, and no, the front intake is not pulling in anywhere enough air for the GPU to breathe.
    It also proves that top-end air coolers like DCII, Twin Frozr and Lightning are truly incredible - assuming that they're being fed enough air to begin with! With only ~75c peaks, I could comfortably achieve a 950/2200 @ 1.150v overclock.

Which makes me wonder - there are a ton of top-end cases in the market that have side windows and rely purely on the front intake - how much is it affecting the GPU? I see people running SLI/Xfire setups with side windows where both cards can move a TON of air, yet they they're simply not getting any.

Since Storm Sniper windows with the side-fan attachment are more or less impossible to obtain now, I may be forced to cut a 200x200mm hole in my side window to mount a Megaflow.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-07 at 11:48 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Umm the reason behind the hotter temperature is that you're enclosing the area around the GPU and restricting airflow, side window or even with a blank side panel. Of course taking the panel out and blowing a fan in is going to lower temperatures because the ambient air blowing in is always going to be colder than the air produced and exhausted from the components inside your computer.
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    But 10-12c is a hell of a lot, definitely not for SLI or GPU overclocking. Why are so many top-end cases missing side intakes?
    (HAF owners, go away)

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    But 10-12c is a hell of a lot, definitely not for SLI or GPU overclocking. Why are so many top-end cases missing side intakes?
    (HAF owners, go away)
    Even with a side intake its STILL goign to be higher with the side panel on regardless of the setup its just the way the thermals work out, it has also always been the case with every previous piece of computing hardware so this is nothing new.

So im not sure exactly what youre expecting to come of this thread. If you want real thermal solutions go liquid cooling or even something more exotic even still barring a tripple monitor setup there is no concievable reason to need to OC the gtx580. If in the event your doing some super high end video rendering they make specialty cards for that. If its a peen thing then you can afford a better case/cooling solution.

Sorry for being callous but its kinda like saying man my wallet gets wrinkly when its in my pocket and my nuts get sweaty......

**edit** also looks to be a mid-tower design, and no thermal shielding between the psu and gpu IE you push your gfx card which draws more power which heats up your psu which blows that air directly into your gpu.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

15+ Year Old Account
    (HAF owners, go away)
    You're sacrificing Air flow for an aesthetic design. That's all there is to it. Also, bear in mind, that water cooling comes into mind a lot more recently - side windows REALLY show that off, and the air flow is MUCH less of a concern with liquid cooling.

Deleted
    What are temps like if you only remove the side panel without using a deskfan? A fan that probably has ten times the CFM of a 120mm 1200 RPM computer fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    And the thing with twin frozr II design is that it exhausts hot air into the case, unlike the reference model or something like DirectCU II. That'll exaggerate it even further if you don't get that hot air moving away from the GPU.

As people said, what did you expect? Blowing air directly into the case without a side panel versus having a side panel that doesn't let any air in nor out

Having side panels will indeed increase temperatures quite notably, but...

But the reason why the computer is a closed box with airflow through is to a) reduce noise, and b) limit the amount of dust and foreign objects (pets, kids etc) from touching things they shouldn't be touching.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guys I know what's going on :P don't have to lecture me with "hurrr wat did u expect noob" lines -_-

My concern was that there are tons of top-end cases that don't have side vents, so what's up with those? I planed to futureproof with lots of my components and peripherals - case, PSU, monitor, keyboard/mouse/speakers (everything was bought new at the same time), all of those should suit my next build in ~2 years time (or w/e).
    But I'm gonna have to do something with my side window if I want to continue with GPU overclocking or venture into SLI/Xfire. 10c higher temps = not acceptable.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-07 at 11:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    Also, bear in mind, that water cooling comes into mind a lot more recently - side windows REALLY show that off, and the air flow is MUCH less of a concern with liquid cooling.
    This is the single best explanation, imo. People are more and more concerned with aesthetics, and liquid cooling (even closed circuit ones) are becoming more and more commonly used.

15+ Year Old Account
    But I'm gonna have to do something with my side window if I want to continue with GPU overclocking or venture into SLI/Xfire. 10c higher temps = not acceptable.
    Well techincally it's not fair to say 10c higher temps when you are comparing superior cooling to nonexistance. Try the same case with side panel, with and without side fan. I bet you'd notice something closer from 2 to 5c temp difference :> Since realistically a case without a side panel and table fan blowing into the GPU is highly unpractical.

Guys I know what's going on :P don't have to lecture me with "hurrr wat did u expect noob" lines -_-

My concern was that there are tons of top-end cases that don't have side vents, so what's up with those? I planed to futureproof with lots of my components and peripherals - case, PSU, monitor, keyboard/mouse/speakers (everything was bought new at the same time), all of those should suit my next build in ~2 years time (or w/e).
    Fair enough but again mid towers are generally not considered high-end products as high end products are not necessarily expensive and even still expensive doesnt always mean high end or intelligently designed. Also when considering cases you have to understand not everyone is going to throw in components that run super hot, or gaming components.

There are a substantial ammount of cases that DO offer side vents/fans even in the cheapy cheap range. I personally dont LIKE having a fan on the side of my case I find them unnecessary for my builds. then again I also dont like windows on my cases either.

So to directly answer your questions as to why so many cases dont have this feature... .its to give consumers options that fit their needs and likes.
    I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money; but what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I've acquired over a very long career, skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now that will be the end of it. I will not look for you, i will not pursue you but if you don't; I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Here's what you do. Go to Newegg and buy yourself an AeroCool Shark 140mm fan and install it to the Storm Sniper's bottom fan slot as an intake. It'll blow directly onto the GPU, problem solved. I did this and my 6870's reference design dropped by 5C (from 80C), and my Storm Sniper came with the side fan. Once I get a 4-in-3 HDD cage for 5.25" bay, it'll be even better.

You can always do a case mod. Cut a hole in the side and put a fan in. There's really nothing else besides water cooling.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Well your temps aren't anywhere near "OMG MY GPU IS ON FIRE" When your temp is at 100 you should be worried and 110 you should throw water into your comp. The thing is that GPU's can take that high heat as long as your temps dosen't get over 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Here's what you do. Go to Newegg and buy yourself an AeroCool Shark 140mm fan and install it to the Storm Sniper's bottom fan slot as an intake. It'll blow directly onto the GPU, problem solved. I did this and my 6870's reference design dropped by 5C (from 80C), and my Storm Sniper came with the side fan. Once I get a 4-in-3 HDD cage for 5.25" bay, it'll be even better.
    Isn't half the fan blocked by your PSU cables? Because Seasonic cables are well-sleeved and refuse to bend easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Munk View Post
    **edit** also looks to be a mid-tower design, and no thermal shielding between the psu and gpu IE you push your gfx card which draws more power which heats up your psu which blows that air directly into your gpu.
    Dimensions(L x W x H)
    Sniper: 22.30" x 10.00" x 21.70"
    Phantom: 25.74" x 8.74" x 21.32"
    HAF-X: 23.20" x 9.10" x 21.70"
    800D: 24.00" x 9.00" x 24.00"

While slightly shorter in length compared to those other giant cases, Sniper is definitely at full-tower sizes and I've always wondered why it's been classified a mid : /

And the PSU's fan faces the ground with a dust filter, it pulls air in from the bottom and blows it out the back - no hot air from the PSU is leaked into the case.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-08 at 04:04 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I should put the ol' in-take side fan back on the side of my case..... >_>

---------- Post added 2011-10-08 at 04:16 AM ----------

Btw Xuvial.... your cable management in that picture is fucking insanely impressive.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

First try something like this.

Take off the shield of your GPU/Heatsink clean the gpu and heatsink of any thermal compound. Apply a good thermal compound, add VGAram Heatsinks. Put back on GPU shield and Heatsink fans etc. Reinstall to pc redo test's. I would also like to say TOP or High End case's DO have side intakes and even watercooled PC's have a ton of fans. Actually looking at your case on Newegg it has a mesh side and 200m fan for intake.

CM storm sniper

Front: 200x30mm Blue LED Fan x 1 (500 - 1000rpm, 17 - 23 dBA)

Top: 200x30mm Blue LED Fan x 1 (500 - 1000rpm, 17 - 23 dBA)
    (can be swapped for two 120mm fans or 120x240mm Radiator)

Side: 200x30mm Blue LED Fan x 1 (500 - 1000rpm, 17 - 23 dBA)
    120x25mm Fan x 2 (optional)

So im going to assume an obsolete version or a modded case by an online company. In any event most cases with and without windows have atleast 120mm side intake optional or not.

Isn't half the fan blocked by your PSU cables? Because Seasonic cables are well-sleeved and refuse to bend easily.

Dimensions(L x W x H)
    Sniper: 22.30" x 10.00" x 21.70"
    Phantom: 25.74" x 8.74" x 21.32"
    HAF-X: 23.20" x 9.10" x 21.70"
    800D: 24.00" x 9.00" x 24.00"

While slightly shorter in length compared to those other giant cases, Sniper is definitely at full-tower sizes and I've always wondered why it's been classified a mid : /

And the PSU's fan faces the ground with a dust filter, it pulls air in from the bottom and blows it out the back - no hot air from the PSU is leaked into the case.
    I thought that might have been the case from the picture you posted but couldnt be sure, either way its still going to be dumping head off its case which still seemed quite close toe the card itself.

+pts though for seasonic <3

It's not like it's hard to put a fan in the side. Looks like the newer Storm Snipers run one there... If the side panels are interchangable, just contact cooler master and get the part, or modify your existing panel (really, it's not hard at all)

Also, I can't really tell too much from your picture as you didn't use a flash...