what got you started?

I'm a 20 year old guy, little bit on the heavy side, not a total fat-wad (for lack of better word) and i want to start working out and getting to my goal weight i set last year but for some reason i can't get my ass to the gym.

So, my question is what got you guys started, what was your motivation when you first started working out??

10+ Year Old Account
    Not being horrifically depressed and venting myself in a healthy way.

I'm the opposite, I'm underweight, and it's just recently that I've decided I want to start working out and running. I've only done it for a week so far lol

My motivation is pretty much I'm sick of my habits and I want to change. I've got nothing else going on so I have the time. I pretty much want to change who I am, and working out is going to be the start of it (I hope).

I love going to the gym, I look forward to going each day.
    I'm more concentrated on bodybuilding rather than toning up or slimming down. If I'm having a day where I can't be bothered I normally watch a few bodybuilding motivation videos from youtube and it gets me really keen.
    At the start I wasn't very motivated but once you really involve yourself in going to the gym, it becomes really easy and you look forward to it each day.

Edit: Original reason I started going to the gym was I was 18 and weighed 60kg~, I was rake thin and couldn't stand being 'the skinny guy' anymore, I wanted to man up say. I'm now 82kg and a lot happier within myself.
    Last edited by VirA; 2011-10-08 at 06:09 AM.

I was skinny when I was 16 and used to get teased about it not in a mean way just by mates fucking with me... my work mate was going to a gym and I just decided to tag along and try it.
    What got me hooked?
    1 - Self esteem went up alot, when I saw the results.
    2 - I liked the pain, not in a sick way but the aches let you know you are pushing yourself and something is working.
    3 - Trust me, women notice when you work out, I wasnt huge but I had shape and defination through my work t-shirts, and women do like that.
    4 - Healthier, I also used to cycle alot and loved being fit.

Advice to you, go to the gym for a few months and you will know if its for you, much better than just thinking about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Not being horrifically depressed and venting myself in a healthy way.
    Kind of my reason too, but not so much depressed, but stressed! I was in a very competitive high school and grades were always important. I usually would put more stress on myself than was necessary and realized how unhealthy that was. I was losing sleep, not eating, etc, etc. I started running to clear my head. I played volleyball to get the tension out. Then I suffered a back injury at my job at 18 and suddenly couldn't do those things anymore. ): I've been building strength in my lower back ever since. I took up yoga and home exercises. I'm just getting into boxing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I was skinny when I was 16 and used to get teased about it not in a mean way just by mates fucking with me... my work mate was going to a gym and I just decided to tag along and try it.
    What got me hooked?
    1 - Self esteem went up alot, when I saw the results.
    2 - I liked the pain, not in a sick way but the aches let you know you are pushing yourself and something is working.
    3 - Trust me, women notice when you work out, I wasnt huge but I had shape and defination through my work t-shirts, and women do like that.
    4 - Healthier, I also used to cycle alot and loved being fit.

Advice to you, go to the gym for a few months and you will know if its for you, much better than just thinking about it.
    Pretty much this Imao. Minus getting teased. I was a pretty skinny kid, and decided why the hell not, got a pull-up bar for home, and eventually got to the gym. I weight about 20 lbs more than I did a year ago with no vertical growth.

The results are addicting.
    I sold out 4 years ago, when I sold to Major League Gaming. And I think you're a troll.
    - Boub