Theres the mobo.
    Where it says --> Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Intel Core i7-8xx (Lynnfield core)
    Intel Core i5-7xx (Lynnfield core)
    Intel Core i5-6xx (Clarkdale core)
    Intel Core i3-5xx (Clarkdale core)
    NOTE:Maximum processor core frequency <= 2.93GHz

15+ Year Old Account
    Those info points get updated ... never.

Run CPU-Z, and run a CPU benchmark, as BF3 can utilitize all CPU cores it will roughly have the same effect, it'll tell you what it runs at.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    550 Watt PSU is not enough for that GPU. The GPU takes about 500W by itself not counting the other things. I suggest you get a bigger PSU, maybe around 750-800
    That can't be right. My machine has a much more powerful card, and I do fine on a 450 Watt Corsair PSU.

Deleted
    Uhh.. to see... if the CPU runs at 3.2ghz or not? Does it matter :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jadakada View Post
    I don't know why you are dead set against getting a new PSU but higher temps like that either means the cooling is bad(in either the case or the card itself) OR the PSU is not pushing enough power to the card and the card is trying to overcompensate for the lack of power. Just because something can run at certain power settings doesn't mean it is fine to run it like that.
    You are beyond clueless. Electrical components don't get hotter because they aren't getting enough power. Go and read up why electrical components produce heat in the first place. Getting such an overkill (or one that is being run near peak output) PSU actually lowers the efficiency it runs at wasting more power. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Also, you say it's not overheating, yet the CPU if it really is running @ 2,93GHz, is downclocking, meaning it's either overheating or the mobo is dying, HP generally does not deliver downclocked CPUs in their rig and i highly doubt this machine is the exception.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep While it seems that the mobo is limiting the CPU speed in this case most computers have SpeedStep enabled by default, I've also heard that some games have problems with AMD's version of SpeedStep.

This thread makes me feel sick.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep While it seems that the mobo is limiting the CPU speed in this case most computers have SpeedStep enabled by default, I've also heard that some games have problems with AMD's version of SpeedStep.

This thread makes me feel sick.
    AMD's issues with CnQ (Cool'n'Quiet) have died a long time ago as the issue was identical to Intel's Speedstep, AMD's CnQ is superior though as it clocks the CPU lower and lowers Voltage better, however in this case BF3 will never activate CnQ/SpeedStep due to it's efficient programming for multi-core technology.

I've yet to see HP build a machine that's underclocked though in base speed, but who knows, it is after all an MSI OEM board, but this could be a proper issue.

So yes, run CPU-Z with BF3 and Temp readings.

Never skimp on the PSU. Top graphics cards need lots of power. That said, I did have a case a few years ago. I got 4 512sticks of ddr2 ram for a new computer build. Everything went fine for a few months. Then wow started blue screening my computer. I was running at max settings so wow was using about 2 gigs of ram. But if i was running lots of other stuff in the background(firefox with lots of tabs open,messanger,vlc, etc) using close to all the ram, it would bluescreen. After trying every thing I got to trying to see if 1 of the ram sticks had gone bad. I took them out and booted the computer with 1 stick in. Then the next and so on. Got to the third stick and the computer wouldn't post. Put the other 3 back in and no more blue screens. So yeah a stick of ram can just die. I would try that before spending money on upgrades. Always try the simple/cheap solution first.
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

10+ Year Old Account
    550Watt is lower than what I'd have put in the machine, but it should run it okay.

Isntyourname123 has had a good idea - it could be the ram. Try running memtest86 on it, it'll be quicker and more definitive than take out a stick at a time and wair for it to bluescreen. www.memtest86.com , Free download and then burn off a cd. Or make up a floppy if you have a fdd.

And once you've got it sorted, tidy those cables! Tuck them into unused drive bays, hide them behind the psu, behind the motherboard tray, and hold them in position with cable ties.

yeah i forgot about memtest. That would be easier.

Its like when the computer was using the first 2 sticks everything was fine. But when it tried to store data on the dying stick the computer would freak out!
    Intel Core i5 2500 quad core
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ASUS SABERTOOTH SLI motherboard
    Geforce 580gtx
    Corsiar Force3 120gig SSD (boot drive + WoW install)
    WD 400gb hdd

Deleted
    Well. its not bluescreening.... But he still has the problem that when playing Minecraft for a while the screen just freezes and the speakers just play a continuous retarded cartman sound.

You do other parts of the pc use than the 50 watts left right? Its better to go over 100 than be under by 100. Get a 800 or 750 watt PSU. I have had the same issue, and it is your PSU. Now, believe us, and do the right thing please.

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Okay so he had a HP PC with a I5 650, 6GB of RAM, And a HD 5570.

I had him bought a 6950 and a 550w XFX PSU with 44A on one 12v Rail. BF3 now runs on Ultra with 40 fps. 1680x1050

But hes saying that his PC keeps crashing and locking up. Hes updated his GPU drivers and sound drivers..
    He says that his monitor just goes black suddenly for many minutes or something. So he just reboots his PC

edit: Oh yeah and we re-installed Win 7.
    Actually, this is a known bug with ATI cards. I have an XFX 5670 and Windows would constantly see the GPU drivers as "Out of date" and proceed to update them. The problem is, that wherever Windows is/was downloading drivers from were not correct. Since ATi Drivers are tied directly to the version of Catalyst Control Panel that they are downloaded/updated with from ATi/AMD. So whenever Windows updated the drivers for the GPU, it did not include a matched version of CCC. This would cause my computer to boot up for a few seconds and then as soon as CCC started up it would make my screen go black and then kill my computer.

I ended up having to start my computer in Safe Mode. Re-install the ATi/CCC Download from AMD, and instruct Windows Update to NEVER update my ATi drivers. I have never had a problem since. I will try to locate the exact instructions on how to do this.

------------- While in SAFE MODE ---------------

Start > All Programs > Windows Update

On left side of screen choose "Change Settings"

Change "Install Updates Automatically (recommended)"
    to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

------------ Reboot ---------------

This should take care of the problem
    Last edited by helusay; 2011-10-20 at 09:51 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Reguilea have you monitored the temps of the CPU / GPU while under load? I've read through the walls of text screaming replace PSU but I haven't noticed any temps in any of the posts.

Deleted
    http://i.imgur.com/KeDQL.png Here
    By the way... I noticed that hes using (Well a crappy prebuilt HP).. Has Three sticks of 2GB RAM! And as far as i know... socket 1156 is dual channel???
    It was like: 2GB blue slot | 2GB black slot | 2GB blue slot | empty black slot
    So i told him to take out the extra 2GB stick from the black slot and maybe that would make the ram optimal as dual channel with both sticks in the blue slots.
    We'll see if that helps. Not sure if i did the right thing though. if it still crashes.. then flip the ram around. If still then remove all sticks except one 2gb one.