FPS not good enough

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3GHz, socket AM3
    Memory: 4 GB DDRII 800MHz OCZ Gold XTC
    Hard Drive: SSD 40GB (for WoW), HDD 1.6TB
    Video Card: Leadtek GTX 560 2GB
    Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate
    Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe - nForce 570SLI MCP, socket AM2

I still can't play with everything maxed in a 25 man raid environment. Acceptable for me means 20+ FPS, but it's wobbling further down when certain effects are being used. Not to mentioned when I turn on Fraps, which is recording on a separate internal HDD. Playing on 1680*1050 and DX11 api., since I recently upgraded my GPU.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you running some very old and outdated add-ons?
    Is your video card driver up-to-date?
    Is your system running odd programs in the background?

Always check those things first

Your videocard is more than fine. I'm always sceptical of AMD.

Since you just upgraded your card check your drivers. Could be a problem too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Your videocard is more than fine. I'm always sceptical of AMD.

Since you just upgraded your card check your drivers. Could be a problem too.
    I always have the latest video drivers and updated addons.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

what did you upgrade from? If it was an ATI card then residues from those drivers can impact your nvidia drivers
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    Psshhh. Like I would actually bother reading a thread.

Make sure shadow quality is on "medium" or lower, multisampling and texture filtering from WoW are at 8x or lower, and all addons are up to date. Those fixes should clear all obvious problems.

PhenomII x4 on AM2+ motherboard will suck in 25-man raids compared to i5-2500K for example, but it should be able to keep up with at least 20fps if you turn shadows down.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    The truth is - your fps is "fine". Its wow optimization that suxx.

I have even better setup than yours. CoreI7- 3.6, 12GB, gtx580. Everything overclocked, water cooling, etc.

I have all settings on minimum.

Wow ALWAYS lags. For me "good enough" is 60fps. Everything below - is laggy. I SEE picture freezing below 60 fps. I see that damn blinking,

I have pretty much top system possible. I have 60 fps in crysis2 !!

But I don't have 60fps in wow in raid 25 environment. I don't have 60fps even at orgrimmar bank!

On every aoe phase dps drops dramatically. Below 20 fps. It drops below 60 just on average boss fight(like ragnaros). And its absolutely not acceptable.

WOW optimization suxx. It uses just 3 of my virtual CPU cores. Like ~15% of my CPU.
    It uses just 15-30 of my videocard GPU.

Partially its because of addons. Tidy plates uses HUGE amount of CPU. It decreases your fps at least by 20-30 on heave aoe fights.
    Various addons use a lot of cpu time as well. Its not their fault. Their code is stupidly simple. You can't really optimize LUA.
    But LUA interpretation in wow is laggy as hell.
    Disable all addons and you will get 10-15 fps increase in orgy and even more in raid environment.
    Don't blame authors, Yes, they sometimes make mistakes and their code is not optimal. But its ADDONS. They should not use even 1% of cpu time. Their calculations are simple. And how can ADDONS reduce FPS?? Wtf is this, seriously?

Ok, summarizing: Blizzard programmers suxx. Wow engine suxx. Wow lua interpretator suxx. And you can't do anything about it.
    You can't buy computer powerfull enough to play this game without lags even on minimal settings.
    Nothing you can do with it really. You have to live with it. And play this laggy game with last decade graphics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't play with everything maxed out. I was for awhile, then I realized WoW doesn't look much different on the pre-made medium/high settings. I think I've been running on medium for awhile now. Until a lot of the character models and whatnot get a real upgrade, I don't care too much D:

Quote Originally Posted by Fiana View Post
    Ok, summarizing: Blizzard programmers suxx. Wow engine suxx. Wow lua interpretator suxx. And you can't do anything about it.
    You can't buy computer powerfull enough to play this game without lags even on minimal settings.
    Nothing you can do with it really. You have to live with it. And play this laggy game with last decade graphics.
    There's something wrong with your computer and/or WoW installation you might want to sort out before bashing things that work for everybody else except you.

Or you could put your money where you mouth is and do a better job at game programming or gtfo.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's the game, not your computer. As others have mentioned there is almost no difference between custom medium/high settings and ultra. The only thing I turn to ultra is liquid detail when I'm fishing, but that's just for looks. I spent $900 this past December on my new desktop, a friend just built his this past month for about $1,300 and we get the same performance in almost every situation in WoW. The only thing I can say is that your processor is probably the bottleneck of your system, if it's a black edition you can easily OC it for a small boost to performance.

Deleted
    Disable Recount, done!

I have even better setup than yours. CoreI7- 3.6, 12GB, gtx580. Everything overclocked, water cooling, etc.

Wow ALWAYS lags. For me "good enough" is 60fps. Everything below - is laggy. I SEE picture freezing below 60 fps. I see that damn blinking,

But I don't have 60fps in wow in raid 25 environment. I don't have 60fps even at orgrimmar bank!

On every aoe phase dps drops dramatically. Below 20 fps. It drops below 60 just on average boss fight(like ragnaros). And its absolutely not acceptable.

WOW optimization suxx. It uses just 3 of my virtual CPU cores. Like ~15% of my CPU.

Partially its because of addons. Tidy plates uses HUGE amount of CPU. It decreases your fps at least by 20-30 on heave aoe fights.
    Various addons use a lot of cpu time as well. Its not their fault. Their code is stupidly simple. You can't really optimize LUA.
    Disable all addons and you will get 10-15 fps increase in orgy and even more in raid environment.
    Don't blame authors, Yes, they sometimes make mistakes and their code is not optimal. But its ADDONS. They should not use even 1% of cpu time. Their calculations are simple. And how can ADDONS reduce FPS?? Wtf is this, seriously?

This mostly. WoW will never be that smooth, it's engine sucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what ive read is that the biggest problem in firelands destroying fps is the area of view,turn down your view distance to even the lowest setting and you will see a big difference in your fps.One other thing ive read is that 4 gigs of ram is great for wow excluding 25 man raid enviroments especially firelands as mentioned earlier because of the size of the area,to have optimal performance in firelands 25 man content you need at least 8 gigs of ram,if you run 10 man 4 gigs of ram is optimal.I can attest to this because i have experienced this exact scenario from running 10 man firelands on alts with 4 gigs of ram and it was perfectly fine but once i stepped into 25 man on my main and started the encounter my fps nearly bottomed out at times but when i upgraded my system and went with 8 gigs i no longer have any issues with my fps in 25 mans.

I cant say for sure this would solve your problem but was the solution to my problem and others i have spoken to about this.Good luck and i hope you find the answer that works for you because i know how frustrating it can be.

p.s. always be sure to clear your recount after a couple of attempts because its a huge memory hog or use skada which uses next to no memory compared to recount.
    Last edited by WillFeral; 2011-10-08 at 01:28 PM.

Deleted

The board is pretty old and the nForce 5xx is really bad.

I assume u updated your BIOS-Version to the beta 5001 (removed LAN option ROM) (only one which supports your CPU correctly)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    There's something wrong with your computer and/or WoW installation you might want to sort out before bashing things that work for everybody else except you.
    Sorry, but I don't believe you.
    Disable all addons. Set everything to maximum. Set resolution to 1920x1200.
    Fly high above valley of strenght in ogrimmar, press ctrl-R and look at your fps. I hope you play on at least somewhat crowded server. If not - try eu-brill on PTR.
    Now tell me what FPS do you have?

Or you could put your money where you mouth is and do a better job at game programming or gtfo.
    I guess it's called infraction by forum rules.

Deleted
    Stop twisting his words Fiana... he didnt say that everyone else can run WoW on MAX SETTINGS 1080p with 60 fps in the middle of orgrimmar.

Deleted

Your system isnt running properly. WoW is programmed just fine.

Probably an issue due to amateurish configuration/installation of your HW/SW.

Comparisons to Crysis are _still_ ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Stop twisting his words Fiana... he didnt say that everyone else can run WoW on MAX SETTINGS 1080p with 60 fps in the middle of orgrimmar.
    i actually do get this sometimes, but only at night. ive found the only real thing that decreases FPS alot is projected textures and shadows, other than that its fine. Plus 0 FPS is what you wnat, becuase really anything above that is a waste, unless your recording/streaming

Sorry, but I don't believe you.
    Your computer should be able to do 40-50fps just fine as long as you pull shadows one step down from the maximum and keep everything else at ultra. That's what others who have similar setup see. Since your numbers are much lower, problem is at your end, not on the game, and you should look into what's wrong with your hardware or software to cause such a low framerate.

I guess it's called infraction by forum rules.
    Yes, the mindless brand-bashing you did often leads to that.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3GHz, socket AM3
    Memory: 4 GB DDRII 800MHz OCZ Gold XTC
    Hard Drive: SSD 40GB (for WoW), HDD 1.6TB
    Video Card: Leadtek GTX 560 2GB
    Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE 7.1
    Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate

I still can't play with everything maxed in a 25 man raid environment. Acceptable for me means 20+ FPS, but it's wobbling further down when certain effects are being used. Not to mentioned when I turn on Fraps, which is recording on a separate internal HDD. Playing on 1680*1050 and DX11 api., since I recently upgraded my GPU.
    Your RAM is waaayyy 2 slow... and im curious of your SSD .. if its the low priced one.. it's probably not faster then HDD .. so don't expect like a huge improvement just cuz it's SSD .. but yeah.. your RAM is veerry slow... if your motherboard doesn't suck.. get new ones with atleast 1333mhz..